Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
NCAA Discussion / Re: CFO Quiz 1
« Last post by Rob S on May 06, 2024, 05:55:16 PM »
I received quiz 1 by email last Thursday morning.
« Last post by ElvisLives on May 06, 2024, 05:54:17 PM »
I was notified when it went live on the hub.

I had to check all of my devices, but I found it on a ‘spare’ iPad. I guess I deleted it from both my primary iPad and my phone, while cleaning out junk e-mail.

Now I wonder why there was a ‘re-posting’ of the answers a short while after the original posting, today. When I get time, I’ll compare both, word for word.
Thanks.
« Last post by Maineac on May 06, 2024, 03:40:12 PM »
I was notified when it went live on the hub.
NCAA Discussion / CFO Quiz 1
« Last post by ElvisLives on May 06, 2024, 02:30:31 PM »
Did y'all get a notice from the CFO that Quiz 1 was available on 5/2? I don't seem to have received that notice. However, I DID get the notice that the answers were available today. Anybody share that experience?

General Discussion / Re: UFL
« Last post by ElvisLives on May 06, 2024, 11:03:39 AM »
In keeping with my pledge, I did watch parts of the Birmington/Memphis game. It was not my premiere sporting event of the day, as to be followed by the Kentucky Derby and the Bruins/Maple Leafs game seven. Birmingham was well ahead when I left for our Durby party (my pick didn't win) and at 11:30 PM when the Bruins won in OT ( their goalie was a UMaine grad). That made up for my horse,Freedom-something, and Mepphis losing.

Is it Super Bowl caliber football---NO; but it is football. Last week I was asked to ump a middle school game, due to our umpire shortage. My response was : "Sure, I know it won't be very good baseball, but it's still baseball !" If you don't have a fav shooting for the NBA Champ (Celtics), Stanley Cup (NHL-Bruins), or a team to cheer/boo (Red Sox) and want to watch sports...'tis football.

tiphat: tR:oLl :sTiR: aWaRd pi1eOn deadhorse: :puke: ^TD

Ralph, I would never expect sub-varsity sports of any kind to be high quality. And I wouldn't expect sub-FBS NCAA football to be great, although some FCS programs are quite good (North Dakota State comes to mind). But, the AFL are supposed to be the better of NCAA players, looking to make it to the NFL. I decided to watch a little more of a game yesterday, and I did see some successful plays. But, I saw far too many just plain dropped passes, etc., to qualify this as good football. I'm not talking hard throws, or shoestring throws, or "I'm gonna get killed if I stretch up to catch that ball" type of drops. I'm talkin' 'hit 'em in both hands, chest high, with no opponent within 3 yards of 'em' type of drops. Not just once, but at least three times across the very few games/downs I observed. These guys are being paid to play this game. As compared to the NFL, not a lot, I will grant you (like $5,500/week for active roster players). But, comparing the level of play to even most FCS conferences, it is really bad.

They ain't gettin' any of my money. The closest I'll get to a UFL game would be when I attend a Texas Rangers game at Globe Life Field, and the Arlington team is playing next door at Choctaw Stadium.

In the mean time, go Stars! Go Rangers! Go Astros! Go Texans! (Cowboys - eh - so so). Haven't watched NBA since the Dr. J, Larry Bird, early Michael Jordan days. They need to increase the diameter of the ball by 2", and raise the rim by 12". Or make a shot made inside the 'arc' worth 3 points, and outside the 'arc' 2 points.

One man's opinions.
General Discussion / Re: UFL
« Last post by Ralph Damren on May 06, 2024, 06:45:25 AM »
I can’t make this up.

I tuned into a live game a short while ago (Birmingham @ Memphis, I think), and, in the FIRST down I watched, Team A had 4th and about 8, or so, and changed from a punt formation and ran the ball quickly, to try to get the first down. The BC got tackled 2 yards short of a first down. So, Team B takes over and, on the first down of their possession, the QB gets pressured, attempts to run, trips and fumbles the ball, and the defense recovers. Totally inept on both ends of the ball.

Just plain horrible football.
In keeping with my pledge, I did watch parts of the Birmington/Memphis game. It was not my premiere sporting event of the day, as to be followed by the Kentucky Derby and the Bruins/Maple Leafs game seven. Birmingham was well ahead when I left for our Durby party (my pick didn't win) and at 11:30 PM when the Bruins won in OT ( their goalie was a UMaine grad). That made up for my horse,Freedom-something, and Mepphis losing.

Is it Super Bowl caliber football---NO; but it is football. Last week I was asked to ump a middle school game, due to our umpire shortage. My response was : "Sure, I know it won't be very good baseball, but it's still baseball !" If you don't have a fav shooting for the NBA Champ (Celtics), Stanley Cup (NHL-Bruins), or a team to cheer/boo (Red Sox) and want to watch sports...'tis football.

tiphat: tR:oLl :sTiR: aWaRd pi1eOn deadhorse: :puke: ^TD
NCAA Discussion / Re: Batting test question
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on May 05, 2024, 10:48:27 AM »
Yes, if the ball had been grounded prior to the bat, the result would be a touchback.
« Last post by ljudge on May 05, 2024, 10:20:37 AM »
Thanks so much.  I just had a brain cramp this morning.  Totally agree with your rationale.  I think the piece I was missing it was "airborne"  I think if the ball had first touched the ground, it would be a TB.  Agree?

b.   Initial impetus is considered expended and the responsibility for the ball’s
progress is charged to a player:
1.   If that player kicks a ball not in player possession or bats a loose ball
after it strikes the ground
« Last post by Legacy Zebra on May 05, 2024, 10:09:54 AM »
Team B did not impart new impetus. Batting a ball only adds new impetus if it has touched the ground. Batting a ball in flight does not add new impetus. So Team A’s fumble is still responsible for the ball going over the goal line and subsequently becoming dead there. The result of the down is a safety. The illegal batting is by the team not in possession, so it is enforced from the basic spot. The run ended at the spot of the fumble which is behind the neutral zone, making the basic spot the previous spot. So the penalty is enforced 10 yards from the previous spot. A 1/10 @ A-18, 25, snap.
NCAA Discussion / Batting test question
« Last post by ljudge on May 05, 2024, 09:57:37 AM »
This question was on last year's CFO exam and re-taking the exam.  I have B as the correct answer in my key but it's possible the key is incorrect.  I see this answer as D.  The bat is illegal (9-1-4-c) and B caused the impetus.  A has the penalty option and would result in a touchback if declined.  Am I wrong?  If so, why would B be the correct answer?

2/8 @ A-8. A17 takes the snap and immediately turns and throws a backward pass to A88 who is standing at the A-4. A88 catches the ball, takes a step, and is then hit hard by B22. The contact causes A88 to fumble the ball into the air from the A-4, after which B22 moves forward and bats the airborne ball back into team A’s EZ. The grounded ball is muffed by B44 and goes OOB across the sideline in the EZ.
a. Safety. 2 points for Team B.
b. A, 1/10 @ A-18.
c. A, 2/2 @ A-14.
d. A, 1/10 @ A-20.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10