Author Topic: Invalid/Valid fair catch signal - free kick  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Texas_Newbie

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Invalid/Valid fair catch signal - free kick
« on: September 19, 2022, 05:55:42 PM »
Free kick...A21 gives a valid fair catch signal at the 15 and lets the ball bounce, then picks it up at the 10. Team A ball 1&10 @ the A10?

Free kick...A21 gives an invalid fair catch signal and catches it at the 15. Team A ball 1&10 @ A25?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Invalid/Valid fair catch signal - free kick
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 07:09:20 PM »
You are correct on both.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 07:58:01 PM »
Why is the ball moved up on an invalid fair catch signal? I get that the rule says that the ball is left where it is caught for an invalid fair catch, but there is an exception specific to free kicks where it is moved up to the 25. What is the intent behind that exception?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:20:36 PM »
Why is the ball moved up on an invalid fair catch signal? I get that the rule says that the ball is left where it is caught for an invalid fair catch, but there is an exception specific to free kicks where it is moved up to the 25. What is the intent behind that exception?

It's to reward them for not running the ball.  Supposedly to cut down on injuries that happen when they return it.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 08:42:06 AM »
That makes sense.

Offline Bulldog75

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 09:25:41 AM »
To get the ball on the 25, the free kick must be caught in the air by the player signaling for a fair catch.  If B21 signals and B17 catches it, the ball is dead and Team B gets it at the spot where it was caught.  If B21 and B17 both signal and B17 catches it behind the 25, the ball is dead and Team B gets it at the 25.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 10:05:12 AM »
...must be caught in the air ...

Is there another way to catch the ball?

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 11:01:12 AM »
My son has entered the dark side and is coaching this year.   To coach baseball he has to coach the 7th and 8th grade football.    The team has problems corralling the ball when it is free kicked to them. 

My suggestion:  If a team pouches a free kick, all eleven men immediately give a fair catch signal and run to where the ball is headed.   If any contact is made with one of the players near the kick before it lands, flag, distance and ball.

What do you think?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
My son has entered the dark side and is coaching this year.   To coach baseball he has to coach the 7th and 8th grade football.    The team has problems corralling the ball when it is free kicked to them. 

My suggestion:  If a team pouches a free kick, all eleven men immediately give a fair catch signal and run to where the ball is headed.   If any contact is made with one of the players near the kick before it lands, flag, distance and ball.

What do you think?

Not a bad idea, but I'd imagine that the freekick is on going to touch the ground long before any A player would even have an opportunity for KCI.  It'd just be a wild scrum at that point.  I'd tell him to just lets the kids recover it, don't try to catch it, maybe you get a break and it goes OOB.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 11:50:23 AM »

What do you think?

In my experience it would be like herding chickens!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Covid 22

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 12:46:18 PM »
Even though I am not calling anymore, the official shortage got me last week.   My son calls and asks if I can help with a 7 & 8 grade combined "B" game.   I told him no because he had three dads that were going to do it.   He called me an hour before the game and said that he wasn't sure who was going to be there to call the game.  Even though I had gotten rid of my shirts, I found something appropriate (my old chapter shirt).  When I got there I found out that I was the only one there to call.   The three dads had withdrawn for various reasons.   While I was talking to the coaches, one of my golf buddies (72 years old) came out and said that he was going to help spot the ball and headed to the chains.  I had to stop him a let him know that he was my HL.   My son stayed and worked U.  Interesting tidbits.

1) After the coin toss (I always talk to the captains), my son asked me "You really miss it don't you?".  I ask him why.  He said that he could see it in my face and the way I talked to them.
2) Watching my friend try to sidestep, jump or avoid the chain on a sweep was priceless.
3) There were three LONG gains in the game.  The first play from scrimmage was one of them and it happened three times.   The quarterback got the snap, took a step back and held the ball out for the running back.  A 200+ d-lineman walk through the line, took the handoff and here we go.  Touchdown. 

I do miss it.  Mostly on Friday nights.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 01:23:50 PM »

What do you think?

A) Catch: Find a ball throwing machine (for football) and have the probable kick receivers practice catching the ball, at least 15 minutes every day, one after the other, as fast as they can catch it and get out of the way for the next guy.
B) Recovery: Practice having the second level blockers converge in front of the receiver - staggered front-to-back to avoid a 'wedge block' foul - and make sure no kicking team players get anywhere near where the ball lands and is bounding. Give the receiver much more time to recover the ball.

Or, try baseball. 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 02:41:37 PM »
While I appreciate your willingness to help you out yourself in a dangerous situation. I don’t know if you are still a TASO member but I’m guessing your friend is not. Y’all had great liability if something bad had happened. As a TASO official, never work with non-members on the crew.

Offline Covid 22

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 03:18:35 PM »
I did this long enough to know.   In fact, my son and I discussed this while watching his 10 year old play his first game with pads Saturday morning.   They had three "TASO" officials with bucket hats doing the best they could.  He asked me why they were wearing TASO gear.  I told him for the liability insurance if they were assigned by the local assigning secretary.   

If the worst mistake I make is calling a 7/8 grade "B" game for the local school, I think I will have had done OK.