Author Topic: Radios / communication devices  (Read 5344 times)

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5
Radios / communication devices
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:08 PM »
I'm looking to buy these for our HS football crew.

Any suggestions? 

Offline scrounge

• FAN REACTION: +35/-23
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Radios / communication devices
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Our crew uses Midland as well, with great success last year, but a different (more common) model at about $35 a radio on Amazon (sold in packs of 2, slightly more for a single):

http://amzn.to/2uaXuLN

They worked great, no reception issues, clear, and easy to program. The annoying thing was the 2 pack only came with 1 charging base. You can get an additional charging base on buytwowayradios.com for $15, or use 4 AA batteries. Though it's a bit more, the single pack comes with a charger per radio (obviously).

The stock headsets are, well, adequate but that's about it. We got thru the year, but this year we upgraded to behind the head headsets for an additional $10-12 each (sold in pairs again).

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Radios / communication devices
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 12:06:52 AM »
Do a search. Discussed at great length in the past

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »
Baofeng BF-888S.  Very inexpensive, programmable, and much more secure than FRS radios.

Offline chriscwilson

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
Baofeng BF-888S.  Very inexpensive, programmable, and much more secure than FRS radios.

UPS just dropped mine off today.  Can't wait to try them out.  Only 4 of our 5 man crew will be able to wear them due to a hearing issue with one official.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
UPS just dropped mine off today.  Can't wait to try them out.  Only 4 of our 5 man crew will be able to wear them due to a hearing issue with one official.

Let us know how they work.  I know of two officiating chapters in Texas that supplied their entire chapter with these radios. 

Offline bmem66

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:55 AM »
We upgraded to the Midland this season.  Great compare to the radios we used in the past.  Highly recommend.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 11:38:34 AM »
We upgraded to the Midland this season.  Great compare to the radios we used in the past.  Highly recommend.

Just a word to the wise, those radios can be easily monitored since they are in the FRS range.  So, be careful what you say.  Also, someone could easily find out your channel and privacy tone and talk to you. 

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 06:44:35 PM »

My crew started using those last season.  Upgraded the earpiece/mic & they work great.