Author Topic: Umpire moving to the Offensive backfield  (Read 4109 times)

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
Re: Umpire moving to the Offensive backfield
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 06:56:18 PM »
I am a California Umpire, I have to say that we have no business being in the offensive backfield. The U's positioning in high school football is vital to keep players focused on playing the game and gives an inside-out look that no one else on the field has. As far as being a "pick" for receivers on their crossing patterns: I have learned that if i stay back and let them clear in front of me before I move forward to the LOS then I am less likely to be used as a pick. If they are purposely running into me I move up sooner so that they now have to alter their route to get at me which then screws up their timing and discouraging them from the practice. If you know you're going to be ran over/hit by a player, I developed a technique that I learned from playing hockey. When you know you're about to take a big hit, bring your arms up to your chest, jump about 6-inches up into the air while turning your hip into the player hitting you whereupon your spin will have you facing the same way the player's going upon the completion of the contact. In this manner, you have absorbed very little kinetic energy, your legs will still be under you so you can stay on your feet after the contact, you've also protected your knees by preventing your feet from getting stuck in the ground while being hit, and you have also kept your head from being hit at the same time. I have taken a few hits from these picks, including the crown of the helmet to my jaw. It's annoying but you have to prevent yourself from being taken advantage of without affecting play directly or intentionally contacting players. Sometimes you have to outsmart that Offensive Coordinator who has included you in their plays!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:58:47 PM by blandis »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2021, 08:31:54 AM »
Some of us umpires would have trouble with the " .... jump about 6-inches up into the air .. " part but other than that I agree completely with your comments.  I've worked as the R enough to clearly see that you don't have anywhere near the control of the game and the view "from the backside" when you're located 10 +/- yards behind the O-line.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 09:00:07 AM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
I have to say that we have no business being in the offensive backfield. The U's positioning in high school football is vital to keep players focused on playing the game and gives an inside-out look that no one else on the field has.

Agree, mingling with the linebackers provides excellent opportunity to use your "little voice" to remind everyone you're watching and help steer the tone of play in the right direction.