Author Topic: Scrimmage Kick Exceptions  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Scrimmage Kick Exceptions
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2022, 01:38:33 AM »
You would also have a foul for illegal formation, correct?

Yes, good correction, it is a foul at the snap no matter what the players do after the snap.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2022, 01:44:55 AM »
I get what you and Jason are saying - I really do - and will officiate it that way, I just don't see how something that is defined and created by rule - the exception created when the snapper placed his hands on the ball - can go away without a rule statement (possible exception) stating that it goes away - as you stated, it just 'apparently' does, I'd like to see something more definitive in the rule to address it.

Well, the rule says: "In a scrimmage kick formation at the snap[/] (Rule 2-16-10) Team A may have fewer than five linemen numbered 50-79..." and this to me says that if there are five (or more) linemen numbered 50-79 at the snap, nothing in rule 7-1-4-a-5 applies. I think you can argue that the rule stays in force if at any time after the snapper has touched the ball and before the snap team A shifts to a formation with fewer than five players, but this is not how the rules makers want the rule to be interpreted.

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2022, 07:03:37 AM »
Robert
Could you post the email from Shaw?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2022, 08:22:48 AM »
Robert
Could you post the email from Shaw?

I must have it on my computer at home. I will check tonight.