Author Topic: DOF LEA or Both  (Read 593 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
DOF LEA or Both
« on: November 04, 2023, 10:08:42 PM »
4th and 20 at the B-35.  Team A is lined up to kick a field goal.  B40 is lined up 4 yards from the ball and runs forward trying to time the snap and "leaps" directly over the frame of the right guard.  Officials shut it down as B40 is in the backfield for an apparent unabated DOF.  A discussion ensues as to whether this is also a leaping foul.  What do you say?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: DOF LEA or Both
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 02:39:38 PM »
4th and 20 at the B-35.  Team A is lined up to kick a field goal.  B40 is lined up 4 yards from the ball and runs forward trying to time the snap and "leaps" directly over the frame of the right guard.  Officials shut it down as B40 is in the backfield for an apparent unabated DOF.  A discussion ensues as to whether this is also a leaping foul.  What do you say?

Before 2009, there was specific language in Rule 2 that made this a hurdling foul. That language disappeared in 2009.
Back in 2004, 9-1-2-q was added, which introduced the concept of “leaping,” and made it a live-ball foul. With the leaping rule, and the DOF unabated rule, there really wasn’t a need for the pre-snap hurdling foul, which explains the removal of the pre-snap hurdling foul.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 12:05:07 AM »
This is a player safety foul and absent any guidance not to call this leaping, I would go with a leaping foul.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 08:30:46 AM »
This is a player safety foul and absent any guidance not to call this leaping, I would go with a leaping foul.

While I don’t necessarily disagree with you philosophically, leaping is a live-ball foul. The example given is dead-ball action. We can only use rules that apply to dead-ball action, and that would be DOF-Unabated. Once the ball gets legally snapped, then, yes, leaping.
I have seen an example from a recent small college game, and the crew wasn’t certain what the call should have been (and I’m not sure what they did). Perhaps this will get to Shaw, and he will provide direction.

***Update*** In the video example I have seen, the crew went with DOF Unabated, verified with a crew member.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 11:54:28 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 08:48:08 AM »
I have DOF, for the reason Elvis gave - the ball never became live so there can't be a leaping foul.