Author Topic: Rules question--Defender goes OB  (Read 515 times)

Offline BillyMc

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Rules question--Defender goes OB
« on: November 19, 2023, 09:19:00 AM »
Wanted some expert help as I can't seem to find a clear answer on my own.

Yesterday, in the Clemson-UNC game, the UNC RB was running down the sidelines on his way intonthe end zone. At about the 3 yd line, a Clemson DB tracked the RB down from behind and caused a fumble that went thru the end zone, BUT when he reached in to cause the fumble, the defender had a foot OB (and had run a couple of steps OB without being forced out by an opponent)

The play was ruled a touch back and Clemsons ball at the 20?  Was this the correct call?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Rules question--Defender goes OB
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 09:24:54 AM »
Yes. There is no rule that says a Team B player can’t go out of bounds. In fact, there’s no rule saying anybody can’t go out of bounds. The rules only say that a Team A player can’t *come back in* after they’ve gone out on their own during kick plays. And because he only touched the ball while it was in player possession, the ball is not out of bounds even if he is when he forced the fumble.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »
Yes. There is no rule that says a Team B player can’t go out of bounds. In fact, there’s no rule saying anybody can’t go out of bounds. The rules only say that a Team A player can’t *come back in* after they’ve gone out on their own during kick plays. And because he only touched the ball while it was in player possession, the ball is not out of bounds even if he is when he forced the fumble.

BillyMc, if you need corroboration to Legacy’s reply:
 :thumbup

Offline BillyMc

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
Thanks all.

Given I couldn't fine a rule prohibiting this, I assumed it was a legal play but thanks for the confirmation.