Author Topic: KCI ?  (Read 12996 times)

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
Re: KCI ?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »
The way the removal of the halo was explained to me (by a senior BigTen White Hat) was that the NCAA Rules Ctte was not happy that so many technical 5 yd KKI penalties were being given because a Team A kid had slightly entered the halo, eg running past the KR before the ball arrives. So they rewrote that rule to try to eliminate those instances.

Furthermore I was told that while there is no longer a halo, that 2 yards in the front sector of the KR remains a good starting point in your decision on whether the KR has an unimpeded chance to make the catch.

Watching the film, I thought KCI straight away. That KR has gotta be blind and deaf if he doesn't realise that the Team A kid is directly in front of him. Pause the Youtube footage of the replay at about 0:57. When the KR first gets hands on the ball, the head and shoulders of the Team A guy are about a foot away. That sure as h*ll would put me off making the catch, and I figure likewise for that KR.

Ask yourself this. If this play had happened under the old 2 yard halo rule - would you have had a flag? Sure you would.

Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
But some of us would offer that the "the defender causes the muff" only in the sense that the receiver clearly takes his eyes of the ball and looks at the oncoming defender before he has caught the ball.  The clip clearly shows, although timing is tight, that the ball is past his hands and going through his arms to the ground before there is any contact.

You know, you're right. I wrote that without watching the slow-mo replay. The full-speed shot makes it look like the ball comes out upon contact.

Would we have had a flag if the receiver simply caught the ball clean against his chest and was tackled immediately for no gain on the return?

Not according to that NCAA bulletin.

Offline mccormicw

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2010, 06:36:44 PM »
I understand that the rule combined with the interpretations is confusing.  What I dont understand is why it is so hard to write thea rule since the receiver has the opportunity to call for a fair catch.  If the receiver signals for a fair catch, the defender should not interfere in any way.  If he doesnt give the signal, the defender can't beat the ball to the receiver (or commit a foul against a defenseless player).