Author Topic: Any SoCon Folks Here ? (Period Extension)  (Read 3937 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Any SoCon Folks Here ? (Period Extension)
« on: December 13, 2010, 05:58:13 AM »
Anyone know what happened here?

[yt=425,350]8dHfQcFhvkA[/yt]

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:34:10 PM by TXMike »

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Any SoCon Folks Here ? (Period Extension)
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:31 AM »
Possibility:

The official game clock actually did expire during the play.  The clock you see as part of the graphic is unofficial, and is run by someone in the truck.  They might have been behind.  Watch the TV clock, it continues to run after the play is whistled dead, gets to :05, and then suddenly jumps to "End 3rd".  I'm GUESSING somone was sleeping along the way and the official game clock actually expired during the play.

2nd possibility:

The officials applied the HS rule, and extended the period.

Unforgiveable:

TV missed the extended period play because they went to commercial, and they don't come back with a replay!  This tends to support the "TV clock was wrong" theory, as someone in the truck is REALING screwing up this broadcast.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:46:08 AM »
I suspect option 1 but wonder how the untelevised play happened.  Isn't there a red hat on the field to stop the crew?

And the R's announcement that it was "end of the quarter" makes me think he saw zeros on the clock (although he should have announced there would be an untimed down).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:47:44 AM by TXMike »

chymechowder

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:23:31 AM »
How bout this?

The TV clock clearly kept running after the whistle for the flag. Maybe the satdium clock did too, running from 15 to 00 while they conferred about the penalty.  WH sees zeros and announces end of quarter. (Yes, it's odd that he didn't say untimed down here.)

Cut to commercial. Crew points out that there's still 15 on the clock. They enforce the penalty. Make the ball ready and wind the game clock. And Team A snaps before the quarter really ends.

Back from commercial and the tv announcers mistakenly refer to it as an untimed down.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:07:24 AM »
Official game PxP doesn't help either, as play was not entered correctly.  All it says is:

D 2-13 N43   PENALTY DELAWARE holding 10 yards to the DELAWARE47.

It should have what happened on the play, and then state the penalty, and that the penalty negates the play, such as this:

G 2-15 G36   Aaron Murray pass incomplete to A.J. Green, PENALTY GT pass
                   interference (Butler, M.) 15 yards to the GT49, 1ST DOWN GA, NO
                   PLAY.

In addition, if the next play was run as an untimed down, it should have been noted with a comment in the PxP.

So it seems the scorer was even sloppier than the officials (possible mistake) and the TV director's absolute mistake of not having even a replay of the missing play.

Offline justaLJ

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
I was at the game.  The crew got it right, TV didn't.  As soon as I saw the red hat on the field after that play, I knew it was gonna get messy.

Time expired during the down in which the foul occured.  In the video, the "TV clock" stops at :05 then shows "end 3rd" a few seconds later -- TV clocks should always be taken with a huge grain of salt.  The R corrected his initial announcement and declared that an untimed down would take place.  This was clearly heard in the stadium, but TV had already gone to commercial.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »
So did they run the play with red hat out there?  Any discussions betwen the B and red hat?

Offline justaLJ

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
Red hat was off the field for the untimed down, then came right back on.