Author Topic: Player abuse towards an official  (Read 6447 times)

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
Player abuse towards an official
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:02 AM »
We had an incident yesterday in which a Captain screamed and swore at the referee and called him a f'n liar several times.

We penalised USC, is there a ruling that says this player has disqualified himself from further participation  ?

I can only find these .............

DISQUALIFICATION
Prohibited signal devices
Use of tobacco
Flagrant fouls
Two unsportsmanlike fouls
Illegal cleats
Contacting an official
Fighting
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: Player abuse towards an official
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:47:57 AM »
See rule 9-2-1-penalty. Sounds like an immediate DQ to me.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:51:50 AM »
Adios for today Mr Captain

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »
We had an incident yesterday in which a Captain screamed and swore at the referee and called him a f'n liar several times.

SEVERAL times?  Once was enough for an ejection, but even if you were lenient and allowed him to stay after the first one, his leash would have been so short that his neck would have been snapped when he uttered the second one.

Offline NCAA-SJ

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:38:54 AM »
Completely agree.....the only exception is if he only said it once AND I was the only one to hear it.  This would give the opportunity to correct the situation immediately and give him a chance to recognize and correct the situation before it became a 'public' event...but that's just me and that's assuming he has done NOTHING prior to this.

Having said that, you can't help a knucklehead.  You cannot abuse an official, verbally or physically...it's an automatic DQ.  Also, keep in mind, that saying something about the 'call on the field' is different from saying something about the actual official (i.e. that's a fing awful call vs. you're a fing awful official/person/etc) Hopefully, we stayed completely calm and professional when administrating the penalty and when explaining to the coach was occurred....sometimes we can be guilty of showing our emotions as well which should be avoided.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 09:48:50 AM »
Derogatory comments directed at an official preceeded by the word "you" and containing the "f" word = bye-bye.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »
Ah 9-2-1 - I did a search through the PDF version but couldn't find it.

We only counted it as 1 USC as he was repeating himself - we decided after the game that he should have been disqualified at the time and that in future any player/coach/team member will be ejected immediately.- with 1:08 remaining in the game it was a moot point though.

BTW the offender was also the league President  :!#
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
Any player can be ejected on the first USC. Waiting for the second is not a requirement.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:13 PM »
This is definitely a flagrant USC foul in my book.  It's so much easier in hindsight, isn't it?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:33 PM »
....sometimes we can be guilty of showing our emotions as well which should be avoided.

Excellent advice.  Another thing to avoid is throwing your flag 90 feet in the air in these situations.  That is another way that shows your emotion.  Just toss it up without any emotion and then calmly report it.

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 05:53:41 AM »
Why wasn't he sent to the showers on the first occasion?

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• Gridironwest
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:08 AM »
Frankly 'livin' we were all like stunned mullets for a bit. Only 1:08 remaining in the game I'm surprised we got a  ^flag in.

Thanks for the references guys - I was searching "disqualification" and not "disqualified"

I was looking for a flagrant USC reference and 9-2-1 fits the bill.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:28:20 AM by Aussie-Zebra »