Author Topic: Anyone Have a NFHS Mechanic for the Umpire to Allow Defensive Substitutions?  (Read 7256 times)

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
from ncaa perspective, if A is subbing then C stands over the ball while R gives iron cross. Once R is satisfied that B has matched or chooses not to, the R will waive off the C.
BUT, if A is not subbing, then there is no iron cross signal & C steps away from the ball once he sets it.
All this said, if NFHS has no subbing rule for B to match up, then I'm confused why U needs to stay on the ball.

The only reason he should stay over the ball is to make sure his CREW is ready for the next play, similar to what the R would do in a 25-second clock before blowing his whistle. This isn't suddenly a "hurry up and go as fast as you can" situation. Be deliberate. Make sure the crew (including the chains) are ready to go and then step away. It should normally happen with 25-30 seconds left on the play clock. Maybe a little quicker or a little slower sometimes. I'm usually 28-32. The substitution comment in the case book has muddied the waters no doubt.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
We've done this for years. When my U spots the ball he waits until I look and nod at him. As he is moving into position, I blow the RFP. We plan to keep on doing everything the same except the toot..

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
We've done this for years. When my U spots the ball he waits until I look and nod at him. As he is moving into position, I blow the RFP. We plan to keep on doing everything the same except the toot..

Agreed, in both NCAA rules (MA) and NFHS rules (RI) games the last few years the U stays with the ball until he has the ball on the ground, confirms the crew is ready (including the chains and the down marker), and gets a signal from the R to step back.  Prior to this year that would be a second or two before the RFP.  I would concur that this will not be any different this year with the exception of an explicit RFP signal.  The case play comment regarding substitutions definitely has muddied the waters a bit though.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
In Ohio the U spots the ball and moves directly to his position.  I am the R.  If I need the offense to wait I talk to the QB.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
In Ohio the U spots the ball and moves directly to his position.  I am the R.  If I need the offense to wait I talk to the QB.

When the game situation requires the Game clock to start on the RFP, who should the Timer be looking at, to give WHAT signal?  The current (Referee RFP-Wind) signal is simple, consistent, universally understood and has worked really well for most of 100 years.  Is there some practical, rational reason for eliminating it? 

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
We plan to administer stops/starts the way we always have. Anybody can stop it, but only the R can start it. I plan to use the ages-old “wind it” method. Once the U has placed the ball and my crew is in place, it will be a silent wind if in the :40. If the :25, I’m gonna blow the ready in, chop and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline colorado_lines

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
We plan to administer stops/starts the way we always have. Anybody can stop it, but only the R can start it. I plan to use the ages-old “wind it” method. Once the U has placed the ball and my crew is in place, it will be a silent wind if in the :40. If the :25, I’m gonna blow the ready in, chop and wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly the way we did it in Colorado during the experiment.  Make sure whoever talks to the clock operator before the game reminds them about the silent wind for the first couple games of the season.  For those first few games, you'll need to pay more attention to the clock in those situations but most of the clock operators figured it out pretty quickly and those that didn't were the ones that we had issues with in previous years anyway.