Author Topic: Hudl  (Read 9647 times)

Martin Kiff

Hudl
« on: September 10, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
Curious how many associations out there have Hudl accounts.  It costs our group $800 a year which adds up to around a $10 increase in our dues but for the last two years the members have voted overwhelming for it.  We tell the schools we work to send us a one-way exchange and the our members can study themselves at their leisure.   It's also nice to see just how many times we are right...

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
Re: Hudl
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:13:43 AM »
We are using here in our association. The extra cost in dues is well worth it! I just wish we could get all the HS in the area to be part of the film exchange. Right now I would say we are at about 50%.

Being able to get film of your game, review it as a crew and get better has really helped me as an individual, our crew and the association as a whole.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:53:31 AM »
We use it. We have about 250 officials so it only cost us a little of $3 a person.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:30:46 AM »
We use it and pay about $8 per person. I find it very helpful when the school has high definition equipment and the person filming knows what he is doing. It's less helpful when one or both of those are missing.

Offline SD_Casey

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
Hudl
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 07:12:17 AM »
Our state is negotiating with hudl right now.  Apparently they've almost got it figured out.  The state is providing it for free statewide to everyone this year.

And we're about as back woods as it gets so you other states better get your act together!

younggun

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 07:33:14 AM »
We use it as well. Great tool for us to review a lot of film so we can tailor our meetings toward problem areas we are seeing.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 07:50:11 AM »
NCHSAA pays for all of us.

younggun

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:01:02 AM »
Ok so weird question... would anyone be willing to share game play lists of games in their area. I dont mean whole games but play lists of discussion plays. Just a thought.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:50 AM »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 09:19:46 AM »
Our district has started using it this season.  Too early for feedback yet.

NJOfficial

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 10:08:51 AM »
We have it in NJ and it's a great tool to have.  My association usually sends out a video each week of plays from games that show what to do and what not to do.  Only bad thing is getting games from coaches.  I have been officiating for 3 years and have never gotten a game on hudl from a coach.  I think the percentage of games that coaches turn in is well below 50%.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »
Ok so weird question... would anyone be willing to share game play lists of games in their area. I dont mean whole games but play lists of discussion plays. Just a thought.

Problem with that here is the way we are set up on Hudl.  I can share plays on Hudl within my region.  When I had my own independent account, I could download the entire game to my PC and do whatever I wanted with the clips.  I have put a few up on my Vimeo account to post before.  However, now that I am only under our state account, essentially as a player, I am limited as to what I can do. 

I imagine I can use a screen capture program to record a clip but the work becomes less than the reward.

My hope is that Hudl will eventually revise their account status to add officials as a sub-set instead of shoehorning us in as they do now.

younggun

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 10:51:23 AM »
Yea we have our own Assn account that I am one of the admins for so we have the ability to share clips with almost anyone.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »
as a player you create a highlight though, try that

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
NCHSAA pays for all of us.

Also, NCSHAA requires teams to upload video of a whole game in order to dispute something (usually ejections/disqualifications), so we consistently get video from every school as well.

I have put a few up on my Vimeo account to post before.

I don't know about where you are, but my region has said that this is a good way to get all your assignments revoked (the posting video online for others to see).

To that extent, they might not "fix" the problem anytime soon in order to prevent this from happening.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 07:36:35 AM »
You don't get into my Vimeo account unless you receive my invite, unless I make it public.  Considering  my RSO has a group YouTube channel for us to post clips to in the past, I don't see the issue.  In any event, it doesn't matter anymore as I don't have the ability to copy clips to my PC under the present format.

As for the Hudl highlight mode, if you have more than one highlight, it strings them all together. 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 07:39:11 AM by HLinNC »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:05 AM »
Curious how many associations out there have Hudl accounts.  It costs our group $800 a year which adds up to around a $10 increase in our dues but for the last two years the members have voted overwhelming for it.  We tell the schools we work to send us a one-way exchange and the our members can study themselves at their leisure.   It's also nice to see just how many times we are right...

When we don't get the one-way exchange from the coaches, we initiate a two-way exchange with the teams by using a "fake" video.  This reminds them and is the easiest way to get the film if they don't send you a one-way exchange on their own.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
we initiate a two-way exchange with the teams by using a "fake" video. 
Oh, the possibilities are endless ......

Actually, that's a great idea.  If I see a request come through, it will remind me and I'll act on it.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 07:54:09 PM »
I used to use the dancing referee signal video to the tune of Gonna Make You Sweat(Everybody Dance Now).
I've also used the Budweiser referee training commercial and a clip from a 1982 scrimmage from one of my high school's old conference rivals I found on YouTube.

Offline Jappling49

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Hudl
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 07:54:21 AM »
We use it in MS. Our state association pays for it for us. I am sure they use our dues money to pay it. It is great but we have the same problem not all schools use it.

The other problem is the video is usually from snap to whistle and there is a lot of stuff we as officials do during dead ball time that we need to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jappling49

Hudl
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 07:55:45 AM »
We also use a fake play to initiate the 2way exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NWA_UMP

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
Arkansas has it set up for all officials to use. The issue we run into is we get usually 2 games a week dropped into our account from across the state. Most are smaller schools so video quality is not the best on the good side and horrible on the normal side.

I usually ask coaches to send me game film via HUDL and that is a challenge. Some coaches have sent film after adding me as a player to their roster so I get all of their film on THEIR site. Others have sent it to me as a recruiting profile which lands in my personal account. I always view on Firefox with a Flash Video down loader so I can pull the plays I want to my computer. But I can't pull any of the highlight features that HUDL has for marking up the film. I have to take notes and send those with the film to my crew...better than nothing.