Author Topic: NY championship game  (Read 2440 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
NY championship game
« on: June 07, 2023, 03:47:56 PM »
Can someone explain to me what is happening here, I have so many questions!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1662819999084412928

Was the runner out by pitch, tag, or other? It looks like the catcher tagged him, but then he looked back at the umpire, who signaled him safe, and the catcher just ignored that, it seemed... Second baseman knew what was happening though.
Why are both teams wearing red jerseys in a championship game?
Given that both teams had the same color jersey, why didn't the umpires stop the game once the other team came onto the field as interference? Is that even a thing in baseball?

(I'm not informed enough to know whether or not the umpires were correct; I assume they were, so not criticizing them at all... I just don't know much about the rules of baseball.)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: NY championship game
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 05:57:40 PM »
Jersey colors just have to match your own teammates.  Normally they don't but I don't see anything in the rule book that prevents opposing teams from wearing the same color.  It's not like other sports where things could be confusing.  It's obvious who is on defense and who isn't.

As for the play and rules.

As for the dropped third strike.  Normally when first base is occupied the batter is just simply out on the third strike whether the pitch is caught or not.  With 2 outs however, the base being occupied doesn't matter, the out isn't made until the batter or another runner is put out.  The catcher made a lame attempt to tag and the umpire gives the signal to indicate no tag is made.  The catcher saw that and that should have triggered him to either make a tag or throw to first base for the easy out.  Instead, he went to celebrate while the runners were running bases and scoring.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 07:17:44 AM »
As the great philosopher Y. Berra famously said:
“It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.”

(Amazing fact of the day: Yogi played 19 seasons in the big leagues and was named to the All-Star team 18 times!)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:21:05 AM by bama_stripes »

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »

(Amazing fact of the day: Yogi played 19 seasons in the big leagues and was Amex town he All-Star team 18 times!)

I'm sorry. What?

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 07:29:28 AM »
I have absolutely no idea how that happened!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »
As the great philosopher Y. Berra famously said:
“It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.”

(Amazing fact of the day: Yogi played 19 seasons in the big leagues and was named to the All-Star team 18 times!)

He also was in the Battle of the Bulge!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bama_stripes

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:36:40 AM »
He also was in the Battle of the Bulge!

Well, Yogi served in the navy, so no.  But his ship was involved with the preliminary shelling of Omaha beach on D-Day.  FlAg1

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 06:52:32 AM »
While baseball is not a contact sport, both teams having the same colors can become confusing. I was the plate  ump in a lota' something to nothing game :

SCENE: Lead team had bases loaded with one out, both teams wore the same shade of blue, player was coaching first.

ACT I  Grounder to SS , fires to 1st to get batter-runner, runners move up.

ACT II  Grounder to 2nd baseman, he steps on bag, base ump calls out, fielders leave.

ACT III  As 3rd base coach (their head coach) ran by me , he said : "I don't think we had any runner at 1st, but that's OK I want to get home,too".

ACT IV Shortly there after game ended; I informed the base ump that he had probably called the 1st base coach out on a 'force play' at 2nd.

ACT V  He responded : "I was surprised that he wasn't  running  :o ".