Author Topic: I A whistle with penalty  (Read 651 times)

Offline GA HS Coach

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
I A whistle with penalty
« on: September 09, 2023, 05:57:15 AM »
Last night Team A’s QB fumbled behind LOS during the loose ball IA whistle blew, then as the scramble continued Team B snagged Team A QB face mask. Penalty enforcement? And from what spot?
Thanks

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: I A whistle with penalty
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 07:15:52 AM »
Dead ball foul since it occurred after the IW.  Previous spot enforcement.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 01:48:37 AM »
IW during the loose ball means we simply replaying the down, and IW man is, as Ralph says, "buying the 1st round". If the DB face mask foul  (ref. 9-4-3) is an incidental grab (5 yard foul), it simply goes away.  If it's a personal foul (15 yards) we enforce from the previous spot and replay the down.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 07:03:23 AM »
IW during the loose ball means we simply replaying the down, and IW man is, as Ralph says, "buying the 1st round". If the DB face mask foul  (ref. 9-4-3) is an incidental grab (5 yard foul), it simply goes away.  If it's a personal foul (15 yards) we enforce from the previous spot and replay the down.

Correct. The reason being because once the ball is dead, the only fouls that "can happen" are dead ball fouls. Since face mask fouls are normally live-ball, the only face mask foul that can be enforced as a dead ball foul is the personal foul variety..

For example, a holding foul cannot be enforced because it's a live ball foul, and is not a personal foul.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 08:23:03 AM »
Correct. The reason being because once the ball is dead, the only fouls that "can happen" are dead ball fouls. Since face mask fouls are normally live-ball, the only face mask foul that can be enforced as a dead ball foul is the personal foul variety..

For example, a holding foul cannot be enforced because it's a live ball foul, and is not a personal foul.
Good point, Calhoun, and remember the same holds true on 'live ball' fouls that occur after a TD. ONLY DBPF & USC can be enforced.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:46:58 PM »
Another thing to remember, guys, is an IW during a kick is always replay the down as the kick hasn't ended yet. While one might think that a bouncing kick could be considered differently than an airborne kick, they both would be treated the same.