Author Topic: Foul Enforcement Hash Question  (Read 4719 times)

FredFan7

Foul Enforcement Hash Question
« on: September 11, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Offense on the left hash runs a sweep to the right hash.  Called for illegal shift.  Do we walk off the five from the left hash and snap it from there again?

Same play start on left hash and sweep to right hash.  There is now holding in the center of the field between hashes.  Do we walk off from the flag and snap it from the center?

I will be doing more umpiring this season and next so this'll be on me!  sNiCkErS

Thanks for your help.   tiphat:

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Foul Enforcement Hash Question
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:55:41 AM »
Yes and yes

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Offense on the left hash runs a sweep to the right hash.  Called for illegal shift.  Do we walk off the five from the left hash and snap it from there again?

Enforcement is from the previous SPOT (not yard line), so yes, back to the left hash.

Same play start on left hash and sweep to right hash.  There is now holding in the center of the field between hashes.  Do we walk off from the flag and snap it from the center?

Enforcement is from the SPOT of the foul, so yes - UNLESS the run ended behind the spot of the foul.  Now your enforcement spot becomes the end of the run.

Think about your enforcement SPOT and not a yard line, and you should be fine.

And while I think this should always be right, in the grand scheme of things, getting the wrong hash is a minor ding, not a major one.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
And while I think this should always be right, in the grand scheme of things, getting the wrong hash is a minor ding, not a major one.

This coming from a kicking coach?

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
Enforcement is from the previous SPOT (not yard line), so yes, back to the left hash.

Enforcement is from the SPOT of the foul, so yes - UNLESS the run ended behind the spot of the foul.  Now your enforcement spot becomes the end of the run.

Think about your enforcement SPOT and not a yard line, and you should be fine.

Ditto what he said... & hopefully we dont see many hold calls where the run does end behind the LOS.  ;)

pi1eOn

Offline FBUmp

• FAN REACTION: +77/-38
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

I will be doing more umpiring this season and next so this'll be on me!  sNiCkErS

Thanks for your help.   tiphat:

Think of it this way. 

If you enforcing from the previous spot for a foul simultaneous with the snap, then that sweep to the right or left never occurred.  Mark it from the previous spot.

If it's a foul by the offense behind the basic spot, then whatever happened after the foul never occurred.  Mark it from the spot of the foul.

If the foul is to be assessed from the end of the run, then everything that happened during the foul counts.  Mark it from the end of the run/spot of the foul.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:34:31 PM »
This coming from a kicking coach?

My kickers are taught to be hash agnostic!

Every kick is a straight kick, you just have to align and take your steps perpendicular to the line from the tee to the middle of the crossbar.  Too many kickers take steps straight back (parallel to the sideline)  regardless of the line of the kick, and then try to adjust their motion.  Not enough good kicking coaches to set them straight (or I guess I should say angled).

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
Every kick is a straight kick, you just have to align and take your steps perpendicular to the line from the tee to the middle of the crossbar.

Hope they're passing geometry!     :bOW