Author Topic: Illegal Substitution  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Flags-R-Us

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Illegal Substitution
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »
Where is it stated that a replaced player has 3 seconds to begin leaving the field or be hit with an illegal substitution foul? Is the 3-seconds requirement in the rulebook?  ???  ???
Thanks

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
Re: Illegal Substitution
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
3-7-1 page 46 of the 2018 NFHS football rule book.

Between downs any number of eligible substitutes may replace players. Upon meeting the criteria of 2-32-12, replaced players shall begin to leave the field with in 3 seconds.

Now some one can correct me if I am wrong the wording use to say replaced players shall leave the field immediately and we always used the standard of 3 seconds, it was last year or the year before when the Federation finally defined and add the verbiage of 3 seconds   
do or do not there is no try

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 05:19:15 PM »
At hand, the oldest rule book I have (2012) has the 3 seconds explicitly stated and it's not denoted as a new addition/rule change. I found a power point of the 2010 rule changes where the substitution rule (and 3 seconds) is mentioned, but it doesn't state exactly what was changed.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:33:09 PM »
Thanks for that I can not recall when 3 Second was actually put into the rules but I do remember when I first started 20+ years ago immediately was written in the rules and it was just common practice that we used 3 seconds. When I get home tonight I will check to see if I can find when it was change in the verbiage.   
do or do not there is no try

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 10:38:08 PM »
At hand, the oldest rule book I have (2012) has the 3 seconds explicitly stated and it's not denoted as a new addition/rule change. I found a power point of the 2010 rule changes where the substitution rule (and 3 seconds) is mentioned, but it doesn't state exactly what was changed.

Guys:
2009 was the year of change.  It was shaded in grey in the rules book.

Offline Flags-R-Us

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 12:01:56 AM »
Thank you all very kindly.   :bOW :bOW

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 09:27:22 AM »
Guys:
2009 was the year of change.  It was shaded in grey in the rules book.

Wasn't 2009 also the one and only year that the hash marks bisected the yard lines! 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
We swapped 3 seconds for immediately in 2009. Nothing happens immediately when a sub enters the game and we decided to give big ole' Bubba the chance to -one thousand one- shake his head in disbelief - one thousand two - gasp - one thousand three - head to the sidelines thinking the coach must have a brain cramp ??? :( >:(.