Author Topic: Referee Announcements  (Read 1596 times)

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
Referee Announcements
« on: December 13, 2022, 01:09:43 PM »
What are your pet peeves?

I'll start:
1. "We have" Example: "We have holding by the offense #54."
2. "During the play" Example: "During the play, holding by the offense #54."
3. "Prior to the snap, dead ball" Example: "Prior to the snap, dead ball false start by the offense #54."

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Referee Announcements
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2022, 01:22:24 PM »
Concur with 1, kind of on 2 and 3... I can think of examples where it would be beneficial to those watching to know that the holding occurred during the play, for example, and the while the UNS committed by the defense was after the play.  But I do agree, on routine plays.  For 3, prior to the snap would only be useful IMO if it was a shift that converted to a false start, just to help clarify what occurred, or if for some reason the wing didn't shut it down quick enough because they couldn't get their dang whistle in their mouth (not that that has ever happened to me, LOL).  Is it redundant?  Yes.  Does it help provide a little more context to fans and coaches?  Also yes (particularly with multiple or uncommon fouls.)

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 01:34:51 PM »
4. Offsides  (there is no 's' at end, it's offside)
5. While not an announcement but still a pet peeve, walking while doing announcements & signals

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
6.  Defensive Pass Interference #24 on the defense.   hEaDbAnG   No.  It's, "Pass Interference, #24, defense...."

7.  Holding, #75, Oklahoma.   No, It's, "Holding, #75, offense..."

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »
We've discussed this on several occasions in the past.
Not so much pet peeves as things that are known to be "best practices.:

Avoid:
"We have..."
"...by the..."
"...on the..."
"Remains..."
"Still..."
"Replay..."
Reference to a team by its jersey color (probably the single most amateur thing a Referee can do when making an announcement).

Always:
Use Offense, Defense, Passing team, Kicking team, Fumbling team, Return team, or actual team name (Coronado, Eastern Hills, TCU, Oklahoma, etc., etc., etc.).

Pause between 'phrases' of an announcement. For most fouls, each phrase and the pause afterward should take about one full second.
"Holding." "Number 77." "Offense." "Ten yard penalty." "Second down."
That announcement should take a total of about 5 seconds.
The pause between phrases is very important. Don't rush your announcements.

A lot of folks these days are announcing the team before the player's number. That isn't "wrong," but the convention was always to hold the audience in suspense that extra second, as to the guilty team. Example:
Historically: "Holding. Number 99. Defense. Ten yard penalty. First down."
(Today, you hear, "Holding. Defense. Number 99. Ten yard penalty. First down." That takes all the fun out of the suspense in the announcement. Do what you want. But the suspense makes for good drama).

Most folks get hung up on announcing the enforcement spot. The only folks that know the difference between the 'previous spot,' the 'succeeding spot,' the 'spot of the foul,' etc., are officials. The fans have no idea what those are. Don't worry about that, at all. Just announce the distance, and then the next down number.
Having said that, personally, when a down is truly repeated due to a live-ball foul (or offsetting), I have begun to use the expression, "[n] down will be repeated." Like, "Holding. Number 55. Offense. Ten yard penalty. Second down will be repeated." And, if it is a Try, I will say, "The try will be repeated."

Similarly, don't get hung up on whether it is "...still...," "...remains...," or "...repeat..." the down. Maintain your phrases, and just say the number of the next down. "Offside. Defense. Five yard penalty. Third down."

For some time now (over 10 years), the directive has been to NOT use the dead-ball signal and NOT say anything like, "Prior to the snap," for false starts. Just say the foul: "False start. Number 66. Offense. Five yard penalty. Second down."
Again, for fouls that prevented the snap, something I have been doing is to announce, "Second down will continue." If it is a try, I will say, "The try will continue."

Now this is a personal problem, I will admit. To preface this, if a ball isn't snapped 100% properly, then there wasn't a snap. So, to say, "Prior to the snap," is, officially, saying something that didn't happen. For a very long time, for those very few occasions when I might need to let folks know that the action they saw was "nothing," because there was a foul or a time out, I have been using the phrase, "Before the ball could be snapped..." Like this: "Before the ball could be snapped - offside with contact. Number 55. Defense. Five yard penalty. Third down." (Or, "Third down will continue.")

Let's not forget time-outs: "Time out. Weatherford. That's their second charged time out of the first half." Or, "Time out. South Oak Cliff. That's their third and final time out of the second half."

Or, clock re-sets: "Clock operator. Please set the game clock to two fifty; two-five-zero." When re-set, say: "Thank you."

Practice. Get in front of a mirror, and practice routine announcements. Take a few minutes during lunch every day to script unusual and/or multiple fouls.

Unless you are working a state championship game, do not use the expression, "The ruling on the field..."  If you need to explain something, then just say what happened. Like: "The ball was fumbled before the ball carrier's knee hit the ground, and the ball was recovered by Elkins - first down." Now, if you ARE using replay, then, yes, say, "The ruling on the field is that the ball was fumbled before the ball carrier's knee hit the ground, and the ball was recovered by Elkins - first down. The previous down is under further review."

Which brings me to "down" versus "play." A 'play' is a segment of a 'down.' Instead of saying, "During the play...," say, "During the down, personal foul..."  Once in a great number of blue moons, you might have cause to use the term 'play' in your announcement. But that would be exceptionally rare.

I strongly recommend that the word "down" be used, in leu of "play," when making announcements. Example: "The helmet came off of number 99, defense. He may not participate in the next down."

I could go on for a long time. I'll stop now.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2022, 05:03:58 PM »
We've discussed this on several occasions in the past.
Not so much pet peeves as things that are known to be "best practices.:

Avoid:
"We have..."
"...by the..."
"...on the..."
"Remains..."
"Still..."
"Replay..."
Reference to a team by its jersey color (probably the single most amateur thing a Referee can do when making an announcement).

Always:
Use Offense, Defense, Passing team, Kicking team, Fumbling team, Return team, or actual team name (Coronado, Eastern Hills, TCU, Oklahoma, etc., etc., etc.).

Pause between 'phrases' of an announcement. For most fouls, each phrase and the pause afterward should take about one full second.
"Holding." "Number 77." "Offense." "Ten yard penalty." "Second down."
That announcement should take a total of about 5 seconds.
The pause between phrases is very important. Don't rush your announcements.

A lot of folks these days are announcing the team before the player's number. That isn't "wrong," but the convention was always to hold the audience in suspense that extra second, as to the guilty team. Example:
Historically: "Holding. Number 99. Defense. Ten yard penalty. First down."
(Today, you hear, "Holding. Defense. Number 99. Ten yard penalty. First down." That takes all the fun out of the suspense in the announcement. Do what you want. But the suspense makes for good drama).

Most folks get hung up on announcing the enforcement spot. The only folks that know the difference between the 'previous spot,' the 'succeeding spot,' the 'spot of the foul,' etc., are officials. The fans have no idea what those are. Don't worry about that, at all. Just announce the distance, and then the next down number.
Having said that, personally, when a down is truly repeated due to a live-ball foul (or offsetting), I have begun to use the expression, "[n] down will be repeated." Like, "Holding. Number 55. Offense. Ten yard penalty. Second down will be repeated." And, if it is a Try, I will say, "The try will be repeated."

Similarly, don't get hung up on whether it is "...still...," "...remains...," or "...repeat..." the down. Maintain your phrases, and just say the number of the next down. "Offside. Defense. Five yard penalty. Third down."

For some time now (over 10 years), the directive has been to NOT use the dead-ball signal and NOT say anything like, "Prior to the snap," for false starts. Just say the foul: "False start. Number 66. Offense. Five yard penalty. Second down."
Again, for fouls that prevented the snap, something I have been doing is to announce, "Second down will continue." If it is a try, I will say, "The try will continue."

Now this is a personal problem, I will admit. To preface this, if a ball isn't snapped 100% properly, then there wasn't a snap. So, to say, "Prior to the snap," is, officially, saying something that didn't happen. For a very long time, for those very few occasions when I might need to let folks know that the action they saw was "nothing," because there was a foul or a time out, I have been using the phrase, "Before the ball could be snapped..." Like this: "Before the ball could be snapped - offside with contact. Number 55. Defense. Five yard penalty. Third down." (Or, "Third down will continue.")

Let's not forget time-outs: "Time out. Weatherford. That's their second charged time out of the first half." Or, "Time out. South Oak Cliff. That's their third and final time out of the second half."

Or, clock re-sets: "Clock operator. Please set the game clock to two fifty; two-five-zero." When re-set, say: "Thank you."

Practice. Get in front of a mirror, and practice routine announcements. Take a few minutes during lunch every day to script unusual and/or multiple fouls.

Unless you are working a state championship game, do not use the expression, "The ruling on the field..."  If you need to explain something, then just say what happened. Like: "The ball was fumbled before the ball carrier's knee hit the ground, and the ball was recovered by Elkins - first down." Now, if you ARE using replay, then, yes, say, "The ruling on the field is that the ball was fumbled before the ball carrier's knee hit the ground, and the ball was recovered by Elkins - first down. The previous down is under further review."

Which brings me to "down" versus "play." A 'play' is a segment of a 'down.' Instead of saying, "During the play...," say, "During the down, personal foul..."  Once in a great number of blue moons, you might have cause to use the term 'play' in your announcement. But that would be exceptionally rare.

I strongly recommend that the word "down" be used, in leu of "play," when making announcements. Example: "The helmet came off of number 99, defense. He may not participate in the next down."

I could go on for a long time. I'll stop now.

Good stuff!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 06:16:41 PM »
Don't forget to announce when a player has received a UNS that it is his 1st UNS foul of the game etc.

Offline Txgarza

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
Y’all nailed mine. We have 🤬. Defensive pass interference 🤬. I’ll add when a R is miked and they are waving off a penalty, instead of just turning on the mike and saying there is no foul on the play. He has to wave his flag around. Also when there is a five yard penalty and the R holds up five fingers to announce the penalty. I asked someone do you hold up 10 fingers or try to hold up 15?  No. Then why hold up 5?? Half-arse attempt in signals and rushing thru the signals.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 04:38:36 PM »
Concur with 1, kind of on 2 and 3... I can think of examples where it would be beneficial to those watching to know that the holding occurred during the play, for example, and the while the UNS committed by the defense was after the play.  But I do agree, on routine plays.  For 3, prior to the snap would only be useful IMO if it was a shift that converted to a false start, just to help clarify what occurred, or if for some reason the wing didn't shut it down quick enough because they couldn't get their dang whistle in their mouth (not that that has ever happened to me, LOL).  Is it redundant?  Yes.  Does it help provide a little more context to fans and coaches?  Also yes (particularly with multiple or uncommon fouls.)

If it happens during a turnover or possibly a kick play, I agree more explanation may be needed.
 Before the fumble occurred, Personal foul, #58, defense
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2022, 10:30:17 PM »
6.  Defensive Pass Interference #24 on the defense.   hEaDbAnG   No.  It's, "Pass Interference, #24, defense...."

7.  Holding, #75, Oklahoma.   No, It's, "Holding, #75, offense..."
7. Is correct for Canadian football. Timeouts, unsportsmanlike conduct, and sideline intereference should be announced by team. Team-specific announcements, such as 10-second runoffs, should also be announced using team names. ("Timeout, Permian. This is their 1st charged timeout of the 1st half").
A 10-second runoff would sound something like this. "The game clock was stopped for a Cooper player losing his helmet with under a minute remaining in the 2nd half. By rule, Abilene has the option of a 10-second subtraction." After a pause, Abilene chooses the runoff. "Abilene has elected to accept the 10-second subtraction. Please reset the game clock to 47 seconds and start on my signal. 4,7. Thank you".
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 02:13:35 PM by ilyazhito »

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2022, 12:31:43 PM »

Avoid:

When I read this, I thought, "does anyone actually do this?"  Then during yesterday's first game the R did it.  I think that is the first time I've heard it.  I agree that it doesn't sound good.

Offline DallasStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2022, 07:24:22 PM »
When I read this, I thought, "does anyone actually do this?"  Then during yesterday's first game the R did it.  I think that is the first time I've heard it.  I agree that it doesn't sound good.

And I'd argue more often than not the lesson here is for the non-referees: when you have a flag down and are communicating the information to the R, do not use jersey color... communicate the foul you have and any enforcement notes to the R exactly as they should be announced

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »
[quote author=DallasStripes link=topic=16438.msg167181#msg167181 date=1671153862
And I'd argue more often than not the lesson here is for the non-referees: when you have a flag down and are communicating the information to the R, do not use jersey color... communicate the foul you have and any enforcement notes to the R exactly as they should be announced
[/quote]
 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 05:38:44 PM »

Usually, the Referee would be fully aware of what color uniforms each team is wearing, but identifying the fouling team by name, when advising the Referee further  avoids any chance of misunderstanding.