Author Topic: You make the Call !!  (Read 478 times)

Offline Football101

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
You make the Call !!
« on: October 23, 2023, 11:50:09 AM »

Team A has the ball 1st and 10 on B's 25 yard line going in.  Team B's player has his helmet come off at the 18 yard line and continues to play the whole down all the way to the endzone. Team B looses the ball on the 3 yard line and goes into the endzone where Team A recovers.

Where would you enforce this IP at??
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:35:56 PM by Football101 »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Re: You make the Call !!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2023, 11:59:08 AM »
Welcome, Football101, to our forum. Hope you find  it both enj informative.  You may have gotten your A's & B's crossed up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 12:01:24 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Football101

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 12:35:24 PM »
I did !! My Bad

Team A has the ball 1st and 10 on B's 25 yard line going in.  Team B's player has his helmet come off at the 18 yard line and continues to play the whole down all the way to the endzone. Team A looses the ball on the 3 yard line and goes into the endzone where Team B recovers.

Also here is the web site to watch the film clip at. https://krefsports.tv/edmond/
it will be at the 3:05 mark or 4th Quarter with 4:22 on the play game clock

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 01:07:24 PM »
I did !! My Bad

Team A has the ball 1st and 10 on B's 25 yard line going in.  Team B's player has his helmet come off at the 18 yard line and continues to play the whole down all the way to the endzone. Team A looses the ball on the 3 yard line and goes into the endzone where Team B recovers.

Also here is the web site to watch the film clip at. https://krefsports.tv/edmond/
it will be at the 3:05 mark or 4th Quarter with 4:22 on the play game clock

B didn't get the ball with clean hands, so forget the TD. The foul and end of run (spot of fumble) both occurred beyond the LOS,so the basic spot is the succeeding spot (10-4-5f) moving the ball to 1 1/2 yard line & 1st down K. Hatless player must leave for a down & clock starts on snap (ball ended in EZ) with :40 play clock (defensive foul).

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
B didn't get the ball with clean hands, so forget the TD. The foul and end of run (spot of fumble) both occurred beyond the LOS,so the basic spot is the succeeding spot (10-4-5f) moving the ball to 1 1/2 yard line & 1st down K. Hatless player must leave for a down & clock starts on snap (ball ended in EZ) with :40 play clock (defensive foul).

Assume you mean TouchBack, not TD, there surely isn't one of those there for B.  Otherwise agree with result.  Spot of IP foul is the 12, actually enforce from end of related run (NOT SUCCEEDING SPOT LIKE THE STUPID RULE CHANGE LANGUAGE SAYS).  So half the distance from there.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 01:53:05 PM »
This one is in the no-mans land of bungled language.  Common sense would say enforce from the end of the run (the fumble spot) but IMHO there is not any real clear rule support for that in the 2023 rulebook.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 02:21:36 PM »

Yep except it’s really enforced from the end of the run, not the succeeding spot. The succeeding spot would be the 20.

Offline Football101

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 02:32:19 PM »
Yes it is confusing.
Rule Book --  9-6-4 G
It is illegal Participation...
g - For a player whose helmet comes off completely off during a down to continue to participate beyond the immediate action in which the player is engaged

Penalty Art 1.2.3.4a,g - 15 yards, live ball basic spot.

Then I read Rule 10:

Basic Spots

Art. 4 - The Basic spot is the spot of the foul for:
B: Illegal participation - as in 9-6-4a and 9-6-4g

What am i missing ??

Thanks

Offline Football101

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 03:31:35 PM »
I finally got my head straight, Sorry for my confusion !!!!!