Author Topic: Stay warm  (Read 2015 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Stay warm
« on: November 17, 2022, 09:00:13 AM »
Those with playoff games this weekend (starting tonight), stay warm. It will be cold, especially in the western parts of the state, and even more especially in the northern parts of the western half of the state. Gloves and ear covering will be essential.

What? You don't have a long-sleeve shirt? You're fired. Not because you don't actually have a long-sleeve shirt, but because you don't exhibit the ability to make good judgments.
Don't make the rest of your crew uncomfortable because of your stupidity or stubbornness. Don't violate dress protocol and have everybody else wearing long-sleeve shirts while you wear short-sleeve.
Yes, this is a sore subject with me.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Stay warm
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 10:58:20 AM »
A pet peeve of mine:  a black long sleeve shirt underneath your striped short-sleeved shirt.  Just suck it up and buy the long sleeve.  (And then remember to bring it!)  hEaDbAnG

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2022, 11:19:07 AM »
 :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup
A pet peeve of mine:  a black long sleeve shirt underneath your striped short-sleeved shirt.  Just suck it up and buy the long sleeve.  (And then remember to bring it!)  hEaDbAnG

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 11:23:09 AM »
Those with playoff games this weekend (starting tonight), stay warm. It will be cold, especially in the western parts of the state, and even more especially in the northern parts of the western half of the state. Gloves and ear covering will be essential.

What? You don't have a long-sleeve shirt? You're fired. Not because you don't actually have a long-sleeve shirt, but because you don't exhibit the ability to make good judgments.
Don't make the rest of your crew uncomfortable because of your stupidity or stubbornness. Don't violate dress protocol and have everybody else wearing long-sleeve shirts while you wear short-sleeve.

A pet peeve of mine as well but unfortunately when it happens nobody does anything about it.  So in turn, nobody cares.  Not mentioning this to argue about it but it's just as much of an announce to me to see a crew where someone is in short sleeves while everyone else is in long sleeves (or vice versa) as it is to see other protocol's violated, even in state championship games, only for TASO to do nothing about it whatsoever.  Obviously the local chapter will not do anything about it but unfortunately neither will TASO.  I can promise you this, the first time word gets out that a chapter is suspended from playoffs because of one of their crew actions, those actions will get corrected.  But we all know that's never going to happen. 

Carry on and everyone travel safe this weekend and the best of luck to get the calls right!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »
A pet peeve of mine as well but unfortunately when it happens nobody does anything about it.  So in turn, nobody cares.  Not mentioning this to argue about it but it's just as much of an announce to me to see a crew where someone is in short sleeves while everyone else is in long sleeves (or vice versa) as it is to see other protocol's violated, even in state championship games, only for TASO to do nothing about it whatsoever.  Obviously the local chapter will not do anything about it but unfortunately neither will TASO.  I can promise you this, the first time word gets out that a chapter is suspended from playoffs because of one of their crew actions, those actions will get corrected.  But we all know that's never going to happen. 

Carry on and everyone travel safe this weekend and the best of luck to get the calls right!

Actually it did happen way back when. UIL had the “sock rule” for players. I do recall a crew being banned by UIL for playoffs because they did not enforce the sock rule in a game.
Of course that was a different leader at the time!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 11:54:32 AM »
Actually it did happen way back when. UIL had the “sock rule” for players. I do recall a crew being banned by UIL for playoffs because they did not enforce the sock rule in a game.
Of course that was a different leader at the time!

Must have been a long time ago and things certainly have changed.  Especially when we have see championship games at AT&T played where things like jerseys were illegal and/or knees were not covered (when it was a POE and now no longer even a rule).  I get it, none of us want to be the fashion police.   But, again, if you want to see something changed there needs to be repercussions involved to get it to change. 

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 12:19:40 PM »

Don't forget about "TASO Approved" gloves.

Offline JDM

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 12:25:38 PM »

Long sleeve shirts? Check. (kinda...)

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 12:41:00 PM »
Our chapter avoids this by not using placards at all, they seem kinda pointless to me anyways.  Everybody knows where the R lines up, when the B is at, etc.  I've never watched a game film and tried to figure out what official is where, by looking at their shirt.

I do carry some (not all) back and front pocket placards and a bunch of safety pins for college games, just in case.  I know of at least one person in our chapter who picked up a last-minute college game and didn't have a shirt with the correct position, and someone had the placards and bailed him out.

Offline JDM

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2022, 01:31:20 PM »
Our chapter avoids this by not using placards at all, they seem kinda pointless to me anyways.  Everybody knows where the R lines up, when the B is at, etc.  I've never watched a game film and tried to figure out what official is where, by looking at their shirt.

I do carry some (not all) back and front pocket placards and a bunch of safety pins for college games, just in case.  I know of at least one person in our chapter who picked up a last-minute college game and didn't have a shirt with the correct position, and someone had the placards and bailed him out.

It matters not whether a crew wears placards or not. The point is they all must be uniform - all placarded shirts or all sans placards. Have the correct uniform!

Offline JDM

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2022, 01:39:53 PM »

I will probably get blow-back but here’s my opinion regarding cold weather and wearing gloves.

H.S. football is a tough sport played by tough kids. Many of us also played. Shoot, my initials are still engraved on the end of the bench where I spent many a game at my old H.S. stadium… I digress.

I’m of the opinion that we should exude an air of toughness on the field. To each their own but I’ve never worn gloves during a game in my 3-plus decade career and we’ve had games in the 30’s with gusty conditions (which is considered cold in the Houston area). That said in extreme, bitterly cold temperatures, obviously gloves are needed. I do profess to using chemical pouch hand warmers on occasion when it's cold. They worked fine and provided relief between plays. Additionally, I certainly suggest wearing as many layers as necessary under the uniform to keep warm. I personally prefer UA Cold Gear.

I was watching the Dallas/Green Bay this past weekend and couldn’t help but notice Sarah Thomas. She certainly made her own statement with regards to wearing gloves in cold weather.

Cue the blow-back!   8]

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 03:56:52 PM »
No blowback from me, I’m ambivalent on it.  I often wear gloves in cold (sub-50) weather simply because in the western half the state, cold = super dry, cracked hands for me and I have a hard time spinning the ball when getting a ball in.  The cold doesn’t bother me, sending the U all over the field chasing balls bouncing around does.

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 06:13:15 PM »
It seems I remember many years ago when we switched from stirrups to the Northwestern socks (yes youngsters, we wore those). A crew from north Texas area worked a championship game wearing the old stirrups. I recall they were not allowed to work a playoff the following year. But that was pre TASO, back in the SOA days I think.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 08:44:50 PM by copedaddy »

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 09:00:11 PM »
Hopefully the cold will have the players pull their jerseys down.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2022, 11:16:08 PM »
It seems I remember many years ago when we switched from stirrups to the Northwestern socks (yes youngsters, we wore those). A crew from north Texas area worked a championship game wearing the old stirrups. I recall they were not allowed to work a playoff the following year. But that was pre TASO, back in the SOA days I think.

And they were very uncomfortable!
But on the staying warm, us old timers didn’t have the fancy UnderArmour cold weather gear. Remember stopping at a Walmart on the way to a game site and all 5 of us buying pantyhose to wear under the old white pants!

Offline FatElvis

• FAN REACTION: +0/-3
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 07:29:30 AM »
A Pete peeve and sore subject of mine is old officials working positions that they shouldn’t be in and and haven’t worked all year just because they want a playoff game. It should go to the officials that have been working those positions all year. I think that’s more important than a placard

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 08:08:17 AM »

Well, before SOA was SFOA, SBOA, SBUA. Technically separate, they were managed by the same ‘home office,’ (Dotson Lewis, et al). Then they came together under a single name, with the various divisions that we have today. It was called Southwest Officials Association because, at the time, we had members in Oklahoma, I believe. But, then it was decided that we should identify as a Texas organization, thus TASO.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »
Placket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 01:50:58 PM »
Ya' mean that "global warming'  :puke: hasn't hit Texas yet ;D. Our state championships for 11-man are tommorrow, where the projected temps are 25-35 F. I'll be in a nice warm pressbox with the temp @ 68 , manning the game clock. Ole Mainer saying : "I cried because I had no LLBean boots until I saw a man that had no shoes :'( ". The Bills are at home Sunday...watching that should make us all feel warmer  :D >

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2022, 10:43:35 PM »
A Pete peeve and sore subject of mine is old officials working positions that they shouldn’t be in and and haven’t worked all year just because they want a playoff game. It should go to the officials that have been working those positions all year. I think that’s more important than a placard

Our chapter requires 3 varsity games in the position being considered for.  H and L we consider universal, but someone who works R all year long is not going to work U in a playoff game unless they worked at least 3 in varsity games.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2022, 10:58:19 AM »

Hmmm. I’ve never kept my identity secret, and I’ve never kept my age or experience secret, either. I seem to fit the ‘mold’ you described above. I’ll be 70 on my next birthday (June), and I hadn’t work Side Judge previously this season.
I certainly didn’t request the assignment. I was called and given the assignment. Yes, I was quite surprised, but knowing the vast majority of experienced officials were otherwise assigned or occupied, I accepted.
Now, let’s talk about qualification. I have 47 seasons of experience over the past 51 years. That experience includes 14 seasons of NCAA FBS football (3 at full-time S, 7 at full-time S/part-time R, 4 at full-time R) 10 of which were at Side Judge including 5 of my 8 bowl assignments. OK, hadn’t worked S since 2008. Was I rusty? It took exactly one down for me to be back in the S groove. Positioning, player count, key, fading, keeping my cushion, beating the BC to the GL, observing appropriate action, moving to the end line when the succeeding spot is at the B-7, knowing game clock status for every down, working in replacement balls, yada, yada, yada. All done as though I had been doing nothing else, ever, let alone this season. And with hustle.

Your comment may not have been directed at me. But, if it was, I’ll match qualifications with you any day.

On the other hand, I agree. Folks with no experience at a position should not be getting playoff game assignments at that position. Just be sure about their qualifications, experience, and ability before you offer criticism.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline JDM

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2022, 12:13:43 PM »
Hmmm. I’ve never kept my identity secret, and I’ve never kept my age or experience secret, either. I seem to fit the ‘mold’ you described above. I’ll be 70 on my next birthday (June), and I hadn’t work Side Judge previously this season.
I certainly didn’t request the assignment. I was called and given the assignment. Yes, I was quite surprised, but knowing the vast majority of experienced officials were otherwise assigned or occupied, I accepted.
Now, let’s talk about qualification. I have 47 seasons of experience over the past 51 years. That experience includes 14 seasons of NCAA FBS football (3 at full-time S, 7 at full-time S/part-time R, 4 at full-time R) 10 of which were at Side Judge including 5 of my 8 bowl assignments. OK, hadn’t worked S since 2008. Was I rusty? It took exactly one down for me to be back in the S groove. Positioning, player count, key, fading, keeping my cushion, beating the BC to the GL, observing appropriate action, moving to the end line when the succeeding spot is at the B-7, knowing game clock status for every down, working in replacement balls, yada, yada, yada. All done as though I had been doing nothing else, ever, let alone this season. And with hustle.

Your comment may not have been directed at me. But, if it was, I’ll match qualifications with you any day.

On the other hand, I agree. Folks with no experience at a position should not be getting playoff game assignments at that position. Just be sure about their qualifications, experience, and ability before you offer criticism.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

All we need now is for Doc to come out of retirement and line up at BJ!   8]

Offline JDM

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2022, 12:21:20 PM »
Well, before SOA was SFOA, SBOA, SBUA. Technically separate, they were managed by the same ‘home office,’ (Dotson Lewis, et al). Then they came together under a single name, with the various divisions that we have today. It was called Southwest Officials Association because, at the time, we had members in Oklahoma, I believe. But, then it was decided that we should identify as a Texas organization, thus TASO.

My guess is there are very few who monitor this forum who knows how important the legendary Dotson Lewis was to the organization. Referee magazine wrote a great article about him several years ago. I always looked forward to making the trip to A&M to attend his rule clinics. No one described the "hay-hook" play scenario better!

Offline FatElvis

• FAN REACTION: +0/-3
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 05:59:59 PM »

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

I thought we were just talking about our pet peeves. Thanks for your résumé and service. Hope to be one of the “Big Dogs” like you some day.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2022, 11:07:59 PM »
My guess is there are very few who monitor this forum who knows how important the legendary Dotson Lewis was to the organization. Referee magazine wrote a great article about him several years ago. I always looked forward to making the trip to A&M to attend his rule clinics. No one described the "hay-hook" play scenario better!

I believe at one time he was also the assistant rules editor