Author Topic: Lists of 5...  (Read 2515 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Lists of 5...
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
Trying to put together a couple of list for my pregame to help officials who work both codes keep some things straight. 

I'm coming up with 5 penalties with have a loss of down as part of the penalty:

1.   Offensive pass interference;
2.   Intentional grounding;
3.   Illegal Forward pass by A;
4.   Illegally handing ball forward;
5.   Illegal touching

I'm also coming up with 5 penalties that include an automatic first down:

1.   Defensive pass interference;
2.   Roughing the passer;
3.   Roughing the kicker;
4.   Roughing the holder;
5.   Roughing the snapper

And, five kinds of illegal forward passes:

1.   Pass thrown from beyond the neutral zone;
2.   Pass thrown after team possession has changed during the down;
3.   Pass intentionally thrown to save yardage or conserve time (other than legal spike);
4.   Pass intentionally thrown into an area not occupied by an eligible A receiver;
5.   A second or subsequent forward pass during the down.

I feel like I have to be missing SOMETHING on one of these lists.  What is it?

LS4a

Re: Lists of 5...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
Well... Intentional Grounding is an illegal forward pass. So that list of 5 is really 4. I try to stay away from that term.

Roughing the kicker or place kick holder are grouped together in the rule book... so that one is also a list of 4. Although, it makes no difference as long as you know 'em !

The other 5 I can think of is 5 conditions for PSK. There are also some other good 4's... exceptions to all but one, times to extend the period, and I have 4 times when the basic spot is the succeeding spot... but I think that became a 5 a couple of years ago.

I have long tried to keep numbered lists in my head... I'm starting to work away from that approach.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Lists of 5...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Since IG has it's own signal, and is listed separately in the penalty summary, I count it.  :)  And I actually do have the PSK conditions.  Though I hadn't thought about some of those lists of 4 you suggested.  Thanks!

I don't normally hold to numbered lists in my head, but this is just a little something I'm 'borrowing' from another white hat in the association, and I'm planning on using it towards the end of pregame as a "reminder" for everyone, especially the officials that work both codes.