Author Topic: Good video on new illegal contact on a def. receiver...  (Read 647 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Good video on new illegal contact on a def. receiver...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023, 11:00:02 AM »
Assuming the contact is otherwise legal, it seems to me that we can basically summarize the three types of legal contact on a defenseless receiver as:

1.  Incidental contact when going for the ball
2.  Wrapping up to tackle; and
3.  A “push”, versus a “hit”

I know I’m generalizing and there’s a lot of grey area in those three categories, but is that the general idea?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023, 12:27:57 PM »
Assuming the contact is otherwise legal, it seems to me that we can basically summarize the three types of legal contact on a defenseless receiver as:

1.  Incidental contact when going for the ball
2.  Wrapping up to tackle; and
3.  A “push”, versus a “hit”

I know I’m generalizing and there’s a lot of grey area in those three categories, but is that the general idea?

Yes, it was run as an experimental rule in three states without any problem. It was said that you might see a few in early season as kids learn it's not as 'heroic' to draw a flag.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023, 01:26:30 PM »

No, I think you are spot on.

It was said that you might see a few in early season as kids learn it's not as 'heroic' to draw a flag.
I think the bigger issue will be with DB coaches and DC's.  Hopefully they'll get the message at the summer coaching clinics/conferences but I'm sure we'll hear about it from the ones that missed the meeting to go play golf or nurse their hangover.