Author Topic: Walt Anderson's TASO Webinar - Visual Acuity for Better Officiating  (Read 785 times)

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
We were treated to a fabulous educational webinar last night by Walt Anderson. Although visual acuity was the driving theme, correct pass play mechanics were discussed in great detail.

Strongly suggest to those who were not in attendance to review the video when it hits the TASO website, supposedly early next week. It will open some eyes. No pun intended...

Time to teach old (and new) dogs new tricks!

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Walt Anderson's TASO Webinar - Visual Acuity for Better Officiating
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 03:40:59 PM »
JDM, do you have actual on-field experience as a deep sideline official at FBS or NFL level?

Someone should check with actual active NFL guys to find out how they like this. I think you’d be surprised. They can’t afford to publicly disparage these new techniques, but I don’t think they are as well received as WA claims.

The position - not the posture - into which these techniques places deep sideline guys is quite problematic. By settling in and holding a stationary posture, and allowing action to pass by, this places officials in a position in which they can’t see between the players. Just as shown in the very first example last night, that puts officials in a very bad position to make correct rulings. Additionally, he was at greatly increased risk of physical danger. Yes, WA agreed that the position wasn’t good. But how would the official have done better? Well, he would have continued to fade, as he/we have always done, to keep the angle that is needed to be able to see the action effectively. I suppose an alternative would be to go the opposite direction, and rule on it from the LOS guys side of the action. Why? Let the LOS guy show some hustle and get down there to help (since he has forward progress anyway). The idea that officials can’t see adequately while they are moving to be able rule on action is garbage. Modesty aside, I was able to get the job done for 10 (of my 14) seasons as a F/S at the FBS level. And there are a lot better guys than me that were able, and are still able, to work effectively at the FBS and NFL levels while fading. WAs stats on improved quality of fouls was - who knows? Truth? Caca? Manipulated? It wasn’t a huge improvement, I will say that. Not enough to justify the change.

This is NOT good for TASO football, that is for certain. We have a hard enough time getting deep wings to hustle, and maintain their cushions. Now, they are gonna think they can stand still for the entire game. Horrible idea.

I don’t think this is good for the NFL, either. I wouldn’t be surprised if it all goes back to as it was when WA moves on.

This is not a case of just not liking change. We’ve got a lot of good things from the NFL over the years, that changed how we (NCAA and TASO) do things. But this ain’t one of ‘em.

Offline bctgp

• FAN REACTION: +6/-10
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 05:22:36 PM »
At the end of the day....

the TASO mechanics are what dictate what officials do.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 12:51:28 PM »
We were treated to a fabulous educational webinar last night by Walt Anderson. Although visual acuity was the driving theme, correct pass play mechanics were discussed in great detail.

Strongly suggest to those who were not in attendance to review the video when it hits the TASO website, supposedly early next week. It will open some eyes. No pun intended...

Time to teach old (and new) dogs new tricks!

Guess I got the cart before the horse. In the on-line version of the webinar, TASO basically said to throw everything Walt advised about NFL mechanics out the window. Therefore... keep using the old tricks.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 03:02:23 PM »
The NFL has pioneered, or championed, many, many good individual and crew mechanics over the years. Not the least of which is working off the field. Back in the 50s and 60s, wing officials could be seen starting somewhere between the sidelines and numbers (or worse). As the game evolved, folks like Art McNally recognized the need to change that. Wing officials got moved off the field, which, eventually, became the standard in NCAA football, and, progressively, in younger age levels levels of competitive football.
The concept of keys came from the NFL. They are now evolving away from keys as we have always known them. Rather, they are employing a system of “areas of responsibility.” This is a good technique for more advanced officials, today. Those that have worked under the old standard of keys can see the advantages of the “areas of responsibility” concept.  That may become a good technique for all levels of football, as time moves forward.
There are numerous other things.  Referee announcement techniques come quickly to mind. The use of preliminary signals by calling officials to the referee - once totally taboo - is now prescribed, and works well at any level of football. I could go on and on.
But, some of us have been aware of this “visual acuity” business for a few years, now, and see the potential for great harm in the quality of officiating with its use (even in the NFL). Nobody will argue with the point that a stationary posture is ideal for observing any action on the field, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE PROPER ANGLE TO VIEW THE ACTION. Unfortunately, those that have experience in working traditional mechanics (particularly “deep guys” in crews of 7) will attest that, for the huge majority of circumstances, we need to maintain a ‘cushion’ to retain the angle needed to see between opponents, especially those players near the sideline. If we were to stop, or just move easily along the sideline, while the players are moving past us, that angle deteriorates to the point that you can’t see through the nearest player, to see another player(s) on the opposite side of the near player. There would be no way to see an arm bar, an arm grab, early contact, contact creating a cutoff, etc. There MIGHT be one in one-hundred plays in which you could still see between the players as they moved past us. But our view would be unacceptably restricted in the other 99 plays.
What this has done, is forced NFL guys to try to find opportunities to be in a settled position, and a stationary posture. There were probably times in the past when they could have achieved this WITH a proper angle, but they just continued to do the same thing, and, in some cases, taking themselves out of the best angle. If we can take that away with us, i.e., if you find an opportunity when a stationary posture is practical and advantageous, OK, by all means. But the fear is that many lesser experienced officials will take the information from the webinar as carte blanche permission to take a starting position and just remain fixed. That would be disastrous for us as an organization.
The presenter talked about the fact that TV cameras at football games are in stationary postures. Yeah, OK. If a particular camera has the best angle to see all the critical elements of the action, then a correct ruling can be made. The same can be said for the human official. Put him in the best position, and, from a stationary posture, he, too, can make the correct ruling. But, what happens when the camera doesn’t have the right angle? Oh. Well, in the NFL, they can check the other 30 cameras to see what they could see from their angles. The only way a human official can get the right angle is, with experience, move to a position that allows him to get the right angle. That’s how he “switches cameras.” Often, that camera needs to be moving to maintain the proper angle through the action.
Time will tell if the NFL sticks with these techniques. My guess is that the general principal of trying to get to a set position, when possible and practical, will remain, but the idea of just holding and letting players run past will prove to be not such a great idea.
Teaching old dogs new tricks is great, if the new tricks are good. But this trick is like the separating thumb trick, as compared to a Matt Franco or Shin Lim card trick.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 03:15:54 PM »
I wouldn't suggest throwing it out and not using some of it.  For example, try to judge a QB rolling out and you get hit with a judgement of Pass vs Fumble.  As the R, that call is nearly impossible to make if you are running as well.  We need to get set just before the "mesh point".  Or, are receiver about to make a toe tap catch near the sideline.  Get set just as the ball is coming in and you'll be able to make a more accurate judgement on catch vs no catch.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 03:48:30 PM »
I wouldn't suggest throwing it out and not using some of it.  For example, try to judge a QB rolling out and you get hit with a judgement of Pass vs Fumble.  As the R, that call is nearly impossible to make if you are running as well.  We need to get set just before the "mesh point".  Or, are receiver about to make a toe tap catch near the sideline.  Get set just as the ball is coming in and you'll be able to make a more accurate judgement on catch vs no catch.

For the world: We know each other, so he knows I say the following with the greatest of respect.

Regarding the R ruling on pass vs fumble, I totally disagree. Much of the time, those calls are made while the passer is running, and the R is having to move to adjust and maintain his angle. As long as the R has the angle, he should have no problem making this ruling, even while moving. Again, modesty aside, I have had no problem making this call, for HS, or in my FBS days. Never had one changed by replay. And I ain't the best R, ever. Lots of other guys better than me that have had no problem. Now, if you still have the great angle, and can get stationary - great.

However, regarding the receiver toe-tap, those happen mostly when the receiver is approaching the sideline, almost perpendicular to the sideline. In those cases, yes, the covering official (short or deep wing) should be able to be stationary, or moving easily, ideally, straddling the sideline, and focused on the feet. If you see a foot/toe down inbounds (and not a heel/toe or toe/heel condition), then check the ball. If he's got it, and maintains it through a football move or a fall to the ground, you've got a catch. Being stationary for that is easy, and best. Agreed.

And, agreed, not everything in the webinar was inappropriate. Being stationary, when one can, is good. But, it just isn't possible, much of the time.