Author Topic: Messing with coaches in pre-game  (Read 5334 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Messing with coaches in pre-game
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
Ya'll ever do/say anything to the coaches during pregame to loosen them up a little?

When I see a coach with a play wristband, I always explain to him that I need one for the game because it helps me officiate better if I know what play they are running.  I usually get a chuckle.  One time, a coach said, "It won't matter against this team.  We'll be lucky to get a first down."
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
Re: Messing with coaches in pre-game
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:08:07 PM »
We always asked the coach if they have any unusual plays, sets or formations. Usually they so no. I been know to say, "It least not on purpose."

Jim D.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:23 PM »
Ya'll ever do/say anything to the coaches during pregame to loosen them up a little?

When I see a coach with a play wristband, I always explain to him that I need one for the game because it helps me officiate better if I know what play they are running.  I usually get a chuckle.  One time, a coach said, "It won't matter against this team.  We'll be lucky to get a first down."

It really depends on how I read the coach.  Some guys are approachable and getting casual with them is fine and helps the night go better.  However, make sure the coach is open to it - If you get Coach Jerk, that approach just helps convince him you're an unprofessional clown.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:58 PM »
I don't initiate a conversation but will make small talk if the coach initiates. Had one in the second game of the season come up to me while we were observing warmup and began to tell me all about his turf problems and how a reel mower was so much better than the zero turn the booster club wanted to buy. I thought, "ok?" 😴😴😴

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:14 PM »
I enjoy chatting and staying friendly with the coaches in pregame, as I feel it leads to a smoother game. IMHO, 3 very underused words by all on the field are "please" and "thank you" and I try to use them as much as possible (example : Would you PLEASE have lil' Johny, the ball boy , watching us when the play ends and not his girlfriend; THANK YOU"). Coaches can be of a jealous lot; so don't overchat with one coach. If you do find yourself chatting with one , it's important to then head to the other end of the field and chat with the opposing coach. I once had a coach tell me that seeing the officials chatting with the opposing coaches gave him the same feeling he would get if he entered divorce court and saw his estranged wife making out with the judge.

IMHO; coaches, officials , players and the like are all on the same team. A team that loves our game of football and should enjoy playing coaching and officiating it. Try to keep the game enjoyable for all. It's a game....it should be fun! tiphat:

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
Earlier this season, I read a post where somebody (Ralph?) suggested removing your hat as you approach the head coaches to introduce yourself before the game.  I've been doing that before each game this year, and the results have been very interesting.  Coaches look at me a bit differently.  Most reciprocate by removing their hats.  All seem to genuinely appreciate the gesture.  And that newly found goodwill lasts all the way until the opening kickoff  ;D

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:47:07 PM »
A few weeks back the coach approached us for the pre-game meeting with a big smile and said we would have no issues with his sideline. We joked to him that we had heard all about him. He immediately was taken aback and then went into an explanation of what happened the previous week with the officials. We interrupted him and said we hadn't heard a thing about the previous week and were just joking around with him. Think we might be more careful with what we joke about in the future.

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
Earlier this season, I read a post where somebody (Ralph?) suggested removing your hat as you approach the head coaches to introduce yourself before the game.  I've been doing that before each game this year, and the results have been very interesting.  Coaches look at me a bit differently.  Most reciprocate by removing their hats.  All seem to genuinely appreciate the gesture.  And that newly found goodwill lasts all the way until the opening kickoff  ;D

That's an awesome idea.   pHiNzuP
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
I don't get it. I see modern golfers do that. I thought you only tipped your hat to a woman.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:15 PM »
I don't get it. I see modern golfers do that. I thought you only tipped your hat to a woman.
Golfers do it on the 18th green, it's a matter of respect.

In baseball, my hat is always off during the plate meeting.  If I'm wearing sunglasses, I remove them when having a conversation with a coach, even if it's a heated one.

It's just what you do.  Good, bad or indifferent, every coach should be respected.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:43:31 PM »
I've never heard of, or even thought of that.  I suspect most coaches 'round here would (jokingly) say, "Put your damn hat back on, Jim -- you're blinding us!"

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »
We've done that every year for about 5 years.

zebra2955

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
We had a coach a couple weeks back who we seem to have every year. Even had them last year in a state championship game. He is playing his big rival, and it is for the conference title. we know him pretty well.
He tells us before game jokingly "You guys need your "A" game today.
I tell him "You know we don't have an "A" game, we are lucky to have a "B" game.

Every one had a good laugh with that.

shooter1

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:14 AM »
Showing respect for the coach is mighty important.  Two weeks ago we had a coach that is the winningest coach in state history and he thanked us for coming to officiate his game-class.  Keeping the visiting to a minimum length of time with each coach is vital--about 5 years ago, we visited with the home coach first and stayed too long. When we went to the visiting coach, a fellow whom we had called several times over the years, he mentioned that he wondered if we were even going to visit with him because we took so long with the opposing coach--they pay attention to things like this.
Removing the hat is common courtesy and sets you apart from the ordinary crews.