Author Topic: Official Attacked - Video  (Read 9727 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Official Attacked - Video
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:10:48 AM »

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Official Attacked - Video
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
Wonderful.  How does the saying go...the acorn does not fall far from the tree.  "Let's throw water bottles at the refs.  That won't send any kind of message to the kids."   

The tragedy will be that the kid will get punished (rightfully so) but the "adults" will likely skate although the video does show one of the bat fastards kicking the ref while down on the ground.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
Ah youth football how we love thee.  When this type of crap happens, officials need to be ready to get together and get the heck out of there.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:00:46 AM »
I wonder how long it will be until having uniformed officers at youth football games becomes a line item on league expense reports.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »
I wonder how long it will be until having uniformed officers at youth football games becomes a line item on league expense reports

It should already be in most places.   One off-duty deputy in uniform is worth his wait in gold, as long as he circulates around the stadium and makes his presence known.

10 years ago, we had an incident at a local youth league set.  As we huddled up in the concession stand afterwards, I mentioned to one of the league officers that they needed better security.  She pointed over to an overweight private security guard, dressed in a uniform shirt and blue jeans, hulked over the small school desk containing the money box at the gate and said "Well we have a security guard".  I replied "Ma'am did you notice I said BETTER?"

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
I wonder how long it will be until having uniformed officers at youth football games becomes a line item on league expense reports.

It's already done in the local league here. 

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:08:15 AM »
Seeing that leagues tend to skimp on paying officials what they are due it seems unlikely many will have interest in providing security.

bitols

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
they wait too much time on the field...and left the referee alone...bad "team attitude" here.

takemeaway10

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 06:56:53 PM »
This is a great example of how a coach's attitude can set the tone. If the coach is upset, then the players and the fans will subsequently be upset.  Makes me wanna eject a coach just for looking at me the wrong way. </sarcasm

calibackjudge

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 12:41:11 AM »
Wow Im almost embarrassed to claim Sarasota as my hometown!!! I was thinking of moving home some day soon but if I do I wont be making myself available on Saturdays with that league!!

losthog

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
The ref did try to move away from the action in a professional way.  My question and concern is where were his crew mates?  Seems to me that his fellow crew mates left the guy out to dry...

JRutledge

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
The ref did try to move away from the action in a professional way.  My question and concern is where were his crew mates?  Seems to me that his fellow crew mates left the guy out to dry...

Keep something in perspective for a minute here, this is a youth game. Meaning that all the officials might not be very experienced (one more reason not to work these games). And his partners were around, they tried to help those get off of him. And we do not know what was going on or what else was taking place. Heck I do not even know what was called or what was disputed. So to go on assuming his crew mates left him out to dry is a little much. Unless we know what was said or what took place before this video, we are speculating anyway what caused this or why the team was so angry.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
STORY UPDATE:

UPDATE: Arrests coming in football fight

By Robert Eckhart & Halle Stockton

Arrests will be announced at 1:15 today in the youth football brawl that was captured on video by a parent in the stands last weekend.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office yesterday indicated that as many as four people associated with the Sarasota Gators football team may be charged. Two referees were attacked in the incident. Assaulting a referee is a felony under state law, with a maximum punishment of four years in prison.

The video was featured on the "Today Show" this morning, a sheriff's spokeswoman said, and has garnered attention from other national media.

Today at 11 a.m., the referee injured in the fight, Jayme Ream, has scheduled a press conference with his attorney. Ream has not made any public statements since the incident last Saturday.

TODAY'S NEWSPAPER STORY

The Sheriff's Office was getting calls from as far away as Kansas on Thursday as people responded to a videotape that showed youth football coaches and players attack a referee and spark a brawl.

The Sarasota Gators started the fight, and have now been banned from their home field and suspended by their parent league, the Mid-Florida Football and Cheerleading Conference.

Friday, as many as four people affiliated with the Gators could be arrested on felony assault charges. All of them have cooperated with the investigation, sheriff's officials say.

It started with about a minute and a half left in the first half. The Gators, playing Saturday on their home field at Riverview High, were losing, 30-6, to the North Port Husky's.

The referee called a personal foul, and the coaches on the Gators sideline all reacted.

"Standing on my sideline, at first I couldn't understand why they were so upset," said the North Port Coach, Mike Cody. "The flag had been thrown on our team. Maybe they thought it was against them."

As the Gator coaches confronted the referee, he threw the penalty flag again, Cody said.

Then the Gators coach threw an open water bottle at the referee.

A few seconds later, the fight was on.

The eye in the sky

The video, shot by a North Port parent, does not show who threw the first punch.

Though the brawl appeared to involve as many as a dozen people, the only people reportedly injured were the referee, Jayme Ream, and a coach with the opposing North Port Husky's who tried to break it up.

"This was a bad incident," said Ream's wife, Michelle. "He was real shaken up. It's not anything we ever wanted to deal with."

Michelle Ream said her husband has been a referee for 14 years and has officiated sporting events at all levels throughout Southwest Florida. She would not comment further on the advice of their lawyer.

The Reams are scheduled to hold a news conference at their lawyer's office Friday.

The extent of Jayme Ream's injuries was not clear on Thursday. Deputies said Ream did not initially realize he was hurt in the scuffle.

The North Port coach fell as he tried to help the referee, Cody said, and was pounced on by a Gators coach.

"He was in the middle of the pile, you can see him getting kicked," said Cody.

The coach was sore after the incident, but Cody said he was not sure whether he was treated by a doctor.

Off on their own

Gators president Eddie Austin, 36, of Sarasota, said he would issue a statement to the media, but then did not return phone calls Thursday.

Austin attended Saturday's game, but did not appear to be among those involved in the brawl. The Sheriff's Office would not release information about the four suspects.

The Gators are a start-up team formed in 2009, one of a half-dozen different youth football organizations in Sarasota County.

Last year, they had trouble getting games, and only competed in three, said a coach familiar with the organization.

"It doesn't surprise me to see what happened," said Chris Toelle, a Sarasota resident who has coached for a dozen years. "There's just not a lot of rules for them to follow and they let a lot of people in who probably shouldn't be coaching."

Last season, Toelle coached with the Pop Warner Suncoast Buccaneers. His team practiced on a field at Booker Middle School, right next to the Gators practice field.

He said the Gators had their 9-, 10-, 11-, 12-, and 13-year-olds all practicing together — a risk to player safety.

"There's just not that many 9-year-olds that are mature enough to be out there with a 13-year-old," Toelle said.

The Buccaneers approached the Gators several times to suggest a merger because the Buccaneers needed more players.

"They always had a decent group of kids," Toelle said. "They were able to stick together but had no interest in being in any other Pop Warner organization or anything like that."

Beefing up security

Cody, of the Husky's, called Saturday's events "disgraceful" but also wanted to point out that some people from the Gators were trying to break it up, too.

He said that he received a letter from the Mid-Florida Conference that commended how North Port coaches, players and parents responded to the incident.

"I feel like our people did the best they could do in the situation they were put in," said Cody, who paid $1,200 on Thursday for uniformed police officers to be at the Husky's remaining four games.

Saturday was the Husky's second game in their inaugural season, and they do not really have the resources to hire security, Cody said, "but after what I seen last Saturday, how can we not afford that?"

Another concern, Cody said, is that now the Gator players from five different age groups have no place to play football.

Cody said he found out a few of them are from North Port, and after getting calls from their parents he is considering adding them to his team.

"If the kid wants to play — and this is my motto — he will play."

Several other area youth football teams, including the Suncoast Buccaneers, are also looking for players.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
THE INSANITY CONTINUES!! Now the behavior of the "adults" is "rationalized".

Football brawl started with 2 grieving brothers

By Robert Eckhart

The two coaches at the center of last weekend's youth football brawl are brothers Dexter Austin and Eddie Austin, longtime Sarasota residents who are grieving the recent loss of their mother, Elizabeth C. Austin.

Dexter Austin, 43, is an assistant coach with the Sarasota Gators who started the fight when he shouted at a referee and then ran after him, an official from the Mid-Florida Football and Cheerleading Conference confirmed today.

Eddie Austin, 35, is the head coach of the team and president of the Gators. He can be seen on the video trying to break it up.

"I feel for the guys because I personally know them," said Michael Wilson, executive vice president of the league. "Their mother passed away the week prior. Maybe people will understand that. I don't think they were in the right frame of mind when they were on the field.

"There's a lot of stress that goes on in the beginning of the season. And these coaches had to coach in the morning and go to their mom's funeral in the afternoon the prior week."

Wilson said that before last Saturday's brawl captured on video by a parent and now making national headlines, the league had no hint of trouble from the Sarasota Gators, who entered the Mid-Florida conference in 2009.

The team entered the conference the way most do, borrowing money for equipment and petitioning to join. The Gators quickly pulled together a roster of 200 children from ages 9 to 14 and fielded one of the best teams in the league, Wilson said.

The Austin brothers were among hundreds of coaches in the league who went through a four-hour training in June that focused on sportsmanship. The Gators had borrowed $20,000 for equipment and had nearly paid it all back after three seasons.

"He's never missed a payment," Wilson said. "He's been doing it with fundraisers and car washes and things of that nature."

Wilson said the league had heard no complaints about the Gators. The senior team, composed of 13- and 14-year-olds, was expected to win its division.

Last Saturday was the team's second game, and they were being beaten 30-6 when Dexter Austin lost his temper, Wilson said.

Wilson confirmed that the trouble started with a referee's call that was misunderstood.

A personal foul had been called on a player from the opposing North Port Husky's. Dexter Austin apparently misunderstood, thinking that the foul had been called on the Gators, Wilson said.

Dexter Austin, an assistant coach on the team, is forbidden from addressing the referees by league rules. But he shouted something at referee Jayme Ream. Wilson said he heard it was something to the effect of, "You've got to be kidding me," and the referee threw another flag.

Dexter Austin continued the confrontation and the referee took off his own cap and threw it on the ground, indicating either that Dexter Austin was being ejected, or that he was calling off the game.

The video shows Dexter Austin charge Ream. It does not show who threw the first punch.

Wilson said he believes the stress from Elizabeth Austin's death on Aug. 11 played a role.

"This was a perfect storm of a lot of tough things happening and them not being able to deal with it," Wilson said.

Now their team has been disbanded. The Sheriff's Office plans to announce criminal charges against as many as four people affiliated with the Gators this afternoon.

"We are a zero tolerance league, and we threw out their entire organization," Wilson said. "Unfortunately, we had to."

Players are free to go to the other Mid-Florida teams, including the North Port Husky's and the Sarasota Seminoles, Wilson said.

"A lot of their team had nothing to do with it," Wilson said. "This is just a case of a few individuals that got out of control."

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
Anyway, about the actual FIGHT, there is NEVER an instance where crap like that is called for. I couldnt believe when I read last night that the Referee wasnt going to press charges and that he signed a waiver giving up any kind of personal charge being filed. If nothing else, do it for the REST of us out here and show the world that we're not going to put up with that kind of crap from idiot parents who couldn't hack it so they'll live their stupid little fancies through 13 year old kids. Shameful. I was irate after I watched that video
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:00:13 PM by Grant - AR »

JRutledge

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:17:52 AM »
http://www.wtsp.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1141125011001

Well, I guess the guys that were arrested now claim the official was at fault. I guess that was a surprise.  :!#

Peace

El Macman

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
"Dexter Austin continued the confrontation and the referee took off his own cap and threw it on the ground, indicating either that Dexter Austin was being ejected, or that he was calling off the game."

Where does HORSE FEATHERS like this come from? A retarded moron can see that the wind blew the hat off the referee's head, and then one of the creeps picks up the hat and throws it.

These guys deserve no quarter. Throw the book at 'em. And then fire and sue the idiot reporter that dreamed up this libelous drivel. This kind of GROSS misrepresentation of fact is inexcusable.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
In Pinellas County Sheriff's Deputies are required for the last three games of the evening. There's a reason that most of us refer to youth football as "Saturday Night's at the fights!"

I feel that there are times in which the Wing Officials wrongly bring this sort of reaction on themselves. Young or inexperienced officials that don't know the rules well enough to explain what happened combined with wanna be coaches that don't know the rules. There was many a Saturday Night that I just felt the fear of anticipating a bottle to the back of the head.

These are felonies and hopefully the State will go at these guys hard. The team wqas kicked out of the league for this behavior. Stand firm and make it happen.

JRutledge

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
You know Yarnnelg, you cannot suggest the officials did anything wrong or their actions did not help. Oh, that only applies if there is another accusation made. My bad, moving on.  >:D

Peace