Author Topic: Video Replay  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Video Replay
« on: November 29, 2016, 01:44:53 PM »
We all know that the use of replay or TV monitoring equipment is prohibited in making decisions related to the game; but in this day and age, isn't 1-1-9 a bit out-dated?

This actually happened last week-end in a Michigan state final game held at Ford Field with full Jumbo-tron replay of the action: the ball was stripped from a runner and there was real confusion on everyone's part as to whether or not forward progress occurred before the COP.  As the officials gathered to sort it out, the play was replayed on the big screen for all to see that the ball was stripped.  According to the game officials, the U actually saw the ball stripped (A GREAT CATCH BY HIM) and the discussion was actually about where the ball should be next snapped.

Now let's play "what if": let's say nobody saw the ball stripped and A was allowed to maintain possession although on the replay it was obvious.  In the interest of "getting the play right", and having indisputable video evidence for all to see, shouldn't game officials have the ability to use it?  As I read it, 1-1-9 says "NO""

Clearly this technology is not available under most High School conditions; but, when it is, shouldn't everything be utilized to ensure we get it right (and avoid the inevitable lawsuit if it's a big enough game)?

Ralph/Rulesman, would the Committee entertain a modification of 1-1-9 to bring it up to date; or, could States consider the use of available video replay, if adopted, covered under 1-3-7?

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: Video Replay
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 04:26:36 PM »
Alabama used it during the preseason Champions Challenge games, with an eye toward using it in the State Finals (played at large D-I stadiums which have the equipment already available).

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:48:15 PM »
Alabama used it during the preseason Champions Challenge games, with an eye toward using it in the State Finals (played at large D-I stadiums which have the equipment already available).

So 'Bama, the State adopted (or will adopt) replay as the solution (even if on a limited, specified basis) to 1-1-9... right?

I think this has also been done (or tested) in Minnesota or Wisconsin as well.  Anywhere else..anybody?

It strikes me as strange that coaches now have rules support allowing virtually any kind of electronic equipment on the sidelines which can provide them the ability, in real time, to see our "mistakes"; but the same rule book prevents officials from doing anything to correct them - even when presented with "indisputable video evidence"...
  pi1eOn pi1eOn :!# :!#

Help us out Ralph/Rulesman pray:;

ALStripes17

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:02 PM »
So 'Bama, the State adopted (or will adopt) replay as the solution (even if on a limited, specified basis) to 1-1-9... right?

I think this has also been done (or tested) in Minnesota or Wisconsin as well.  Anywhere else..anybody?

It strikes me as strange that coaches now have rules support allowing virtually any kind of electronic equipment on the sidelines which can provide them the ability, in real time, to see our "mistakes"; but the same rule book prevents officials from doing anything to correct them - even when presented with "indisputable video evidence"...  pi1eOn pi1eOn :!# :!#

Help us out Ralph/Rulesman pray:;
It was tested in scrimmages last spring and in preseason games this fall.

No word from the state on the adoption of it; however, we do enjoy being revolutionary... See 'first to use comms on a football field'

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk