Author Topic: 2023 NFHS football rules questionnaire. FOR Propose rules that you favor in 2024  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ted skoundrianos

• FAN REACTION: +3/-6
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
RALPH, 2023 NFHS  football rules questionnaire. PART III-ABOUT RULES FOR 2024-WOULD YOU FAVOR. 1. a second personal foul bringing a disqualification. Yes Or No  I voted NO. 2. Continually running the game clock after first down. Yes Or No. I voted NO. 3. Encroachment being a live ball foul. Yes or No. I voted Yes. 4. Defense Pass Inference being an Automatic first down. Yes Or No. I voted Yes. 5. All personal fouls on defense being an automatic first down. Yes Or No. I voted YES. 6. All unsportmanlike conduct fouls by defense being an automatic first down. Yes Or No. I voted yes. Ralph I from Illinios. So in our state the IHSA send certified football officials the 2023 NFHS  football rules questionnire. FOR propose rules that you woul favor in 2024. I hope 3,4,5,6 pass.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Since the adoption of the 40-second clock and the “silent wind”, most white hats are winding as soon as the box is set (or even in the vicinity).  I don’t think keeping the clock running on FDs will save much time.  What *would* save time is restarting the clock after the play ends OOB outside of the last two minutes of a half.

Apparently though, from what I’ve been told, HS coaches aren’t very concerned about the length of games.  Most games are still played on Friday nights or Saturday mornings, so there’s no worries about getting to school the next day.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Since the adoption of the 40-second clock and the “silent wind”, most white hats are winding as soon as the box is set (or even in the vicinity).  I don’t think keeping the clock running on FDs will save much time.  What *would* save time is restarting the clock after the play ends OOB outside of the last two minutes of a half.

Apparently though, from what I’ve been told, HS coaches aren’t very concerned about the length of games.  Most games are still played on Friday nights or Saturday mornings, so there’s no worries about getting to school the next day.

My games averaged 2- 2 ½ hours this year. That's not long. We start at 7, and are done by 9:30 tops. We had a playoff game last week, and walked off at 9:06.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
My games averaged 2- 2 ½ hours this year. That's not long. We start at 7, and are done by 9:30 tops. We had a playoff game last week, and walked off at 9:06.

Last year we had a new recruit working with our CO and using a stopwatch he timed several games.  The chart attached was the compiled result.  Oversimplified it basically shows that a varsity game is going to run an average of 2 hours and 5 minutes.  I don't see any way that one or more rules changes would change this very much.  If we have a high scoring game with both teams using all of their timeouts then we're going to be pushing 3 hours and again, no rules change(s) would make a significant impact on that.  I've got no issues with the game time length but we could be a bit better paid.   ;D
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline bama_stripes

Prior to the 1996 timing changes, my average game time was 1:45. That was obviously before the advent of pass-happy offenses with many incompletions. (We still had some teams running triple option offenses)

In looking at NVFOA’s chart, it’s apparent that the halftime interval is the main culprit here.  Our state mandates 20 minutes (you really don’t want to make the band parents mad at you!), plus the 3 minute warmup period.  In addition, most white hats will hold the start of the 20 until both teams are completely off the field.  If the visiting team has a l-o-n-g walk to their dressing area, they may hold it even further.

So the practical halftime interval here is closer to 30 minutes, rather than the 15 minutes on the chart.  That puts our total time at about 2:30, which is pretty close to my average now.

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5

I don't even look at the box/chains with the 40.  I wind it when the U has the ball and, absent a hurry-up, close to putting it down.

Games in our area are running longer than the ones I see here. A LOT of passing, spread offenses, etc. and it seems like every third run is out of bounds. Lot of balls hit the ground.

Offline Rich

• FAN REACTION: +6/-5

Our 3 playoff games were the 3 of the fastest we had all season.  2:13, 2:09, 2:12. We did have one under 2:00, but it was a second quarter start of the running clock.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Of the AFD suggestions, the only one I would favor is on DPI, as this can be played with by coaches when within B's 30. Part of our job is to keep a balance between the offense & defense and to have AFD when by the defense upsets that. 2 PFs =  :thumbup would ,IMHO, be too harsh as it would include such fouls as PFFM, PFRK, & 14 other fouls. IMHO, it would become a  z^ nightmare to track all these.

I began umping baseball 3 years before I began officiating football and was used to some baseball games lasting an hour and some lasting three hours, so I never was bothered by the varing length of football. The two major reasons for longer football games are more passes = more incomplete passes and more scores = prox. 4 minutes from TD to kickoff = 35-28 game = 36 minutes of dead time. I don't forsee any change in timing, I also don't forsee the Patriots winninmg the Super Bowl.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 01:09:03 PM by Ralph Damren »

Online Ralph Damren

A word about halftime.....

Several years ago, with the coaches approval, once both teams were back on the field we would assume implyed consent to shorten the halftime  and would ask the clock operator to set and run the 3:00 warmup. The coaches were advised that, if they asked ,they could have the full 15 + 3. Only once has a coach requested that and with the captains not needed for our pre-kickoff speech, a few minutes have been shaved off.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 01:11:23 PM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
A word about halftime.....

Several years ago, with the coaches approval, once both teams were back on the field we would assume implyed consent to shorten the halftime  and would ask the clock operator to set and run the 3:00 warmup. The coaches were advised that, if they asked ,they could have the full 15 + 3. Only once has a coach requested that and with the captains not needed for our pre-kickoff speech, a few minutes have been shaved off.

I would just bake the 3 min warmup into halftime.  Have it be a minimum of 13 min and a maximum of 23 min.  It's on them to warm up.

Offline bama_stripes

Is there any practical way to modify the rules so that a lineman who goes from a two-point to a three-point stance while a back is is motion (or vice versa) would not be guilty of an illegal shift?

This has always seemed to me like a ticky-tack foul that gives no apparent advantage to the offense.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Is there any practical way to modify the rules so that a lineman who goes from a two-point to a three-point stance while a back is is motion (or vice versa) would not be guilty of an illegal shift?

This has always seemed to me like a ticky-tack foul that gives no apparent advantage to the offense.

I just warn on these.  I hate calling that too, unless they're going from standing up then down to a 3.  When they go from forearms on knees to a 3 point stance, I like to warn there.

Offline lawdog

• FAN REACTION: +3/-17
it seems so inadequate to indicate I'm just not satisfied with the complete screw up of rule 10 enforcements from last year......
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 10:11:34 AM by lawdog »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
To preface, FL has mandatory water breaks every.single week, every.single.quarter....including the finals game.
In as far as halftime, I'm not seeing it being reduced and the 3min warm-up would seem to be an invention from the Legal department.

With game times, they seem to be different based on the brand of ball they're playing.
For FL, since late 90s-early 2000, it's at least 50% passes and only 30-35% completions; ergo, +65-70% plays with clock stoppages than before.
Pair that with every RB gets near sidelines and he's going out. (strange, never saw Payton or Sanders or Dorsett or others run OOB, ever).
Add to that all the new HS popping up every year and the dilution of talent, you mostly see point differentials of 25 or more, OR total scores upwards of 60+points.
Yes, 2.5hr or more is the norm, not the exception.

To me with my small mind:
*1/10: no stops.
*OOB or inc pass: set the ball and wind it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 09:41:20 AM by TampaSteve »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
it seems so inadequate to indicate I'm just not satisfied with the complete screw up of rule 10 enforcements from last year......

yEs:
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Online Ralph Damren

Just recieved results from questionnaire and felt you guys might have interest.....

Responses :    Coaches 5,643   Officials    12,740
                     States with most officials responding     Ohio   1109 GOLD, Penn  826 SILVER,    Mich    642  BRONZE

Favored                                              Coaches                          Officials

Gone after 2 PFs                                    51%                               46%
Clock runs after 1st down                       18%                               68%
Enc - live ball                                        55%                                57%
DPI>AFD                                              60%                                59%
B's PF>AFD                                           61%                                51%
B's USC> AFD                                       78%                                66%

We do consider your opinions in our discussions.

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:   

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Ralph:
What are the dates of the Rules Committee meeting?

Online Ralph Damren

Ralph:
What are the dates of the Rules Committee meeting?
Next weekend, January 14- 16.