Author Topic: Illegal touching  (Read 1052 times)

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Illegal touching
« on: June 20, 2023, 06:37:20 AM »
Even with the rule 10 changes, should illegal touching be a spot foul behind the LOS or a previous spot enforcement?

Thanks
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Illegal touching
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 07:58:56 AM »
Illegal touching is in 10-4-2b for loose ball plays described in 10-3-1, it's  enforced from previous spot which hasn't changed.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 08:18:10 AM »
Illegal touching is in 10-4-2b for loose ball plays described in 10-3-1, it's  enforced from previous spot which hasn't changed.

But 10-4-2b is the same as last year (no shading on the rule).  Last year Illegal touching was enforced all but one at the spot of the foul.

Offline Brian26

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 08:49:47 AM »
But 10-4-2b is the same as last year (no shading on the rule).  Last year Illegal touching was enforced all but one at the spot of the foul.

I thought with new changes all spot fouls are now listed in 10-4-4?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 10:20:58 AM »
I don't have the 2023 rulebooks yet, but the Summary of Penalties chart in Reddings indicates that Illegal Touching has changed to previous spot; the PS section being "grayed".  Previously it was ABO but honestly, I think this one got screwed up as previous spot a lot.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 12:22:23 PM »
In 2006, we (Maine) ran an experimental rule reducing OPI w/LOD to IR as this often was the case of a wide-out unintentionally lining up on the LOS and covering the TE. If the TE ran a pass pattern and touched a forward pass it was OPI. I felt it was an over kill. There was also a proposal on the docket to turn a forward pass that is grabbed/muffed/ batted by an IR behind LOS as illegal touching instead of IFP. We compromised (sorta' like we see every day in politics  :P ) and made both illegal touching. Being a loose ball play, with previous spot enforcement, if the IR was beyond LOS the enforcement was previous spot. If the IR was behind the LOS , the spot of the foul would become the enforcement spot under the 'all-but-one'.

The list of exceptions do not list illegal touching. I assume that means the enforcement spot to be the previous spot.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 06:51:06 PM »
I don't have the 2023 rulebooks yet, but the Summary of Penalties chart in Reddings indicates that Illegal Touching has changed to previous spot; the PS section being "grayed".  Previously it was ABO but honestly, I think this one got screwed up as previous spot a lot.

You’ve got your Redding’s? The website still shows mine as “awaiting fulfillment”

Offline bossman72

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 08:17:40 PM »
In 2006, we (Maine) ran an experimental rule reducing OPI w/LOD to IR as this often was the case of a wide-out unintentionally lining up on the LOS and covering the TE. If the TE ran a pass pattern and touched a forward pass it was OPI. I felt it was an over kill. There was also a proposal on the docket to turn a forward pass that is grabbed/muffed/ batted by an IR behind LOS as illegal touching instead of IFP. We compromised (sorta' like we see every day in politics  :P ) and made both illegal touching. Being a loose ball play, with previous spot enforcement, if the IR was beyond LOS the enforcement was previous spot. If the IR was behind the LOS , the spot of the foul would become the enforcement spot under the 'all-but-one'.

The list of exceptions do not list illegal touching. I assume that means the enforcement spot to be the previous spot.

So am I to assume that all-but-one is gone?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 08:58:18 PM »
You’ve got your Redding’s? The website still shows mine as “awaiting fulfillment”

About a week ago, I think.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2023, 12:49:27 PM »
Illegal touching has always been ABO. Basic spot is previous spot, foul behind basic spot enforced from spot of foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2023, 09:06:34 PM »
Illegal touching has always been ABO. Basic spot is previous spot, foul behind basic spot enforced from spot of foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they got rid of all but one though...

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 04:27:35 AM »
The 'All-But-One' is done. The victim of our rule change, as a foul by A behind the LOS doesn't fit as the enforcement spot is previous spot. It should be fun teaching the new laundry list we now have.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2023, 05:58:05 AM »
I think they got rid of all but one though...
Understand. I was speaking in past tense. Probably should have said “used to be.”  I really hate that ABO is gone. Sure made things simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2023, 07:28:32 AM »
Understand. I was speaking in past tense. Probably should have said “used to be.”  I really hate that ABO is gone. Sure made things simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Ralph, any insight on Why, ABO was eliminated?  It didn't seem to have been broken, nor needed fixing.