Author Topic: First Touching of a Scrimmage Kick  (Read 820 times)

Offline MBK

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
First Touching of a Scrimmage Kick
« on: July 12, 2023, 12:25:07 PM »
If a scrimmage kick hits a player on the kicking team in the back beyond the expanded neutral zone, does that qualify as first touching? Or does first touching have to be a purposeful act such as catching, muffing or batting the ball to qualify as illegal touching by an ineligible receiver?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: First Touching of a Scrimmage Kick
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 12:42:40 PM »
If a scrimmage kick hits a player on the kicking team in the back beyond the expanded neutral zone, does that qualify as first touching? Or does first touching have to be a purposeful act such as catching, muffing or batting the ball to qualify as illegal touching by an ineligible receiver?
It’s first touching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KDJBBBJ

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 01:24:13 PM »
I agree it is first touching if we add "grounded" scrimmage kick to the original question. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 01:36:35 PM »
Got myself tangled between “first touching” and KCI.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 11:01:54 AM by VALJ »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 02:14:47 PM »
Often first touching occurs when a bouncing kick takes an unexpected bounce and touches a K player. Intent doesn't count.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
First Touching of a Scrimmage Kick
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 03:45:21 PM »
I agree it is first touching if we add "grounded" scrimmage kick to the original question.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 03:46:58 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 09:04:34 PM »
I’m still working my way back into rules shape, but I don’t think first touching on a scrimmage kick has anything to do with whether a kick is grounded or not. 

You can definitely have a foul for interference if there is an R player in position to be able to make the kick, but the mere act of touching in flight on a scrimmage kick doesn’t have anything to do with first touching.

MBK, “first touching” does not require a conscious action. Being touched by the ball and voluntarily touching the ball both apply.

+1

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 12:26:44 AM »
I’m still working my way back into rules shape, but I don’t think first touching on a scrimmage kick has anything to do with whether a kick is grounded or not. 

You can definitely have a foul for interference if there is an R player in position to be able to make the kick, but the mere act of touching in flight on a scrimmage kick doesn’t have anything to do with first touching.

MBK, “first touching” does not require a conscious action. Being touched by the ball and voluntarily touching the ball both apply.

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you, but if the SK in flight gets touched by K then we definitely have first touching. Otherwise K touches the SK in flight around midfield, the ball bounces another 30-40 yards, then K possesses the kick, and R has the ball deep in their own territory.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2023, 11:01:17 AM »
I'm sure I'm misunderstanding you, but if the SK in flight gets touched by K then we definitely have first touching. Otherwise K touches the SK in flight around midfield, the ball bounces another 30-40 yards, then K possesses the kick, and R has the ball deep in their own territory.

Thank you - I got myself a bit tangled between first touching and KCI.  You’re absolutely right.  Still working myself into rules shape.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »
Remember, guys, if an airborne kick hits a K player beyond the expanded NZ; you have potential for KCI if a R player was in position to make a play. Once grounded, a round ball will have a true bounce. A football isn't round and doesn't always have a true bounce. BE READY!