Author Topic: Basic Spot vs Enforcement Spot  (Read 832 times)

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
Basic Spot vs Enforcement Spot
« on: August 06, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »
The definition of spots is very important for our understanding and application of penalty enforcements.
In the "good ol' days" determining the Basic Spot was an important step in getting to the correct Enforcement Spot for live ball fouls.  Determine the Basic Spot and apply the "all-but-one" (or 3 & 1) to get to the Enforcement Spot.
In today's Rules Book the Basic Spot is still defined in Rule 2.  But looking at the wording of Rule 10 and Table 10-4 it appears to me that the column heading "Basic Spot" is in fact the Enforcement Spot.  If this is the case then the Basic Spot is superfluous, confusing and no longer needed. 
In today's Rules Book are these two spots synonymous?

Where (in this years Rules Book) is the Basic Spot not synonymous with the Enforcement Spot?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Basic Spot vs Enforcement Spot
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 07:13:41 PM »
In their zeal to remove ABO, they are synonymous for live ball fouls -- except for situations that fall under 10-5.

The basic spot for a live ball foul during a scrimmage kick is the previous spot, except if (for example) the foul is by B during a successful field goal and the foul can be enforced on the subsequent kickoff. There are obviously other scenarios as well.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 09:02:28 AM »
The old rulebook even played a little fast and loose with the term Basic Spot.  For instance, they said the "basic spot is the succeeding spot" for unsportsmanlike fouls.  That should be the enforcement spot.  Same with "basic spot is the previous spot" for fouls simultaneous with the snap.

I always think of basic spot as a point of reference.  To me, in those above examples, there's no point of reference.  There's no step 2 to find the spot of the foul in relation to the basic spot.  I think the NFHS uses the phrase "all fouls are enforced from the basic spot, except one" to justify using the term basic spot in those scenarios.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »
I?ve always believed that accurate penalty enforcement is a crew responsibility, not just the R and U, and thought the officials at other positions who would avoid it were copping out.

This year, especially after three years off, in the first year of this new enforcement fiasco? I?m gonna be honest - I?m glad I?m a downfield guy.  I?m still gonna do my best to help with enforcement and try and make sure we?re straight, but I?m just struggling with this with all the verbiage confusion, and the retractions, and the edits.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 09:40:30 AM »
I?ve always believed that accurate penalty enforcement is a crew responsibility, not just the R and U, and thought the officials at other positions who would avoid it were copping out.

This year, especially after three years off, in the first year of this new enforcement fiasco? I?m gonna be honest - I?m glad I?m a downfield guy.  I?m still gonna do my best to help with enforcement and try and make sure we?re straight, but I?m just struggling with this with all the verbiage confusion, and the retractions, and the edits.

http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16632.0;attach=1652

Also check out the LHSOA video posted on Youtube yesterday.