Author Topic: BJ Mechanics - 5 Man Crew  (Read 3277 times)

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
BJ Mechanics - 5 Man Crew
« on: October 04, 2011, 12:56:03 PM »
I know mechanics manuals differ from state to state, but I thought I'd throw out an idea for the board to ponder over.

If the BJ's initial position is supposed to be 15-20 (or whatever slight variation your state allows), and the BJ has goal line coverage for plays that originate outside the 10 yard line, where does the BJ initially position himself for plays that are between the 15 and 10 (i.e. on the 14-11)?

There seems to be a difference of opinion from some guys I've talked to about it.
-Thought process A: Position on the GL so there is no forward movement.
*Problem: Crowding, more difficult EL coverage
-Thought process B: Position on the EL and move forward if GL coverage is necessary.
*Problem: Movement contradictory to the play, potential for no GL coverage if players block movement.

Thoughts?

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
Re: BJ Mechanics - 5 Man Crew
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
It depends on the game. 

If the team going in is a running team, I'll plant on the goal line.  If the team going in is a spread that is flinging it, I'll plant on the end line because I'm going to end up there anyway.  If we've been getting a good mix, I'll line up at normal depth (possibly in between the goal and end lines) and float as needed at the snap.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
It depends on the game. 

If the team going in is a running team, I'll plant on the goal line.  If the team going in is a spread that is flinging it, I'll plant on the end line because I'm going to end up there anyway.  If we've been getting a good mix, I'll line up at normal depth (possibly in between the goal and end lines) and float as needed at the snap.

Good thoughts on game situation, ITS.  Appreciate it.

I'm not sure I agree with the floating scenario, however.  To me it seems a BJ in the middle of the EZ is somewhat out of place.  Maybe wasted.  I'd rather have a BJ "guarding" a line - either - than sitting in the middle.  (Yes, I realize either situation presents its own problems)

mbyron

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:58 AM »
The 5-official system is a series of compromises: with 7, you can have deep wings on the GL and the BJ on the EL and have all of your lines covered. The proposed compromise — put the BJ in the middle and let him adjust — is not bad. Starting 10 yards away from a line you might need to cover is, IMO, potentially worse.

In Ohio, of course, we have prescribed mechanics that put the BJ 17 yards deep on ALL plays until you're inside the +10. For your play, that would put you in the middle of the EZ and allow you to adjust. :)

Offline bricord

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
A college supervisor once told me on most plays I am the only guy in the stadium that has the end line. In 5 man that is even more true. I am either on the end line or the goal line. It is easier to come up to help at the goal line than run for your life (maybe) to get to the end line. I don't want to be that guy not in position to rule on the end line. That is just my angle on this. I have been doing 5 and 7 man for a few years now. You live and die by the crew, but don't be the guy caught out of position.

BC