Author Topic: Girls UIL Varsity Flag Football Coming?  (Read 1130 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Girls UIL Varsity Flag Football Coming?
« on: October 13, 2023, 02:37:40 PM »
Apparently it's being discussed: 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/10/11/uil-to-consider-adding-girls-high-school-flag-football?ref=article_preview_title

...along with amending officials' fee schedule and travel reimbursement, anyone have any insight into what that discussion is?

The flag football is intriguing, but we don't have enough officials now, no idea where they're going to get even more.  I think our chapter pretty much is tapped out every week, I don't know we could cover a whole lot more games than what we do now.  FW already has a league apparently - are the officials regular TASO football officials or something different?

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Re: Girls UIL Varsity Flag Football Coming?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 04:15:42 PM »
I could see this getting more women to come out and officiate it.  Maybe they would get that itch and move to regular football.

Offline Rob S

• FAN REACTION: +13/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 05:19:48 PM »
California added girls flag football this year. Games are mainly Monday and Tuesday to avoid conflicts. They often do double headers (JV and Varsity) as games are 2x 15 or 20 minute running clocks (until the last 2) so they only take about an hour a piece. We had enough officials who wanted to work 3-4 days a week that it hasn't been much of an issue to cover (other than the fact schools were still figuring out if they were going to have a team literally the week games started).

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 12:30:44 AM »
Apparently it's being discussed: 

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2023/10/11/uil-to-consider-adding-girls-high-school-flag-football?ref=article_preview_title

...along with amending officials' fee schedule and travel reimbursement, anyone have any insight into what that discussion is?

The flag football is intriguing, but we don't have enough officials now, no idea where they're going to get even more.  I think our chapter pretty much is tapped out every week, I don't know we could cover a whole lot more games than what we do now.  FW already has a league apparently - are the officials regular TASO football officials or something different?

The fee schedule is all part of the 10 year plan.  We have scheduled raises to game fees and travel over a 10 year period and they have mechanisms in place to allow for a raise to come sooner or push it later if situations arise that the need to do so came up.  I don't have concrete information if that is what that is referrring to but I would expect it is.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 08:47:09 AM »
Heaven help these officials.   The most brutal sport that I have officiated is Girls Basketball.   I have told many folks that there should be a regular football program for these ladies.    This should be a very interesting game to watch.   Parents, bring Band-Aids and other medical supplies.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 08:51:27 AM »
The fee schedule is all part of the 10 year plan.  We have scheduled raises to game fees and travel over a 10 year period and they have mechanisms in place to allow for a raise to come sooner or push it later if situations arise that the need to do so came up.  I don't have concrete information if that is what that is referrring to but I would expect it is.

That's new to me - I can't think of a reason why pay increases would ever be pushed further into the future.

I've never been a fan of this... it takes away leverage for recruiting new officials, and doesn't recognize that officials (IMO) are underpaid... the raises just try to keep up with inflation/cost of living, they don't actually provide more meaningful income.

That said, it is what it is, and it's what was agreed to and in place.

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 09:18:14 AM »
The fee schedule discussed was for baseball and softball. As for the girls varsity football, it was tabled at this time due to the lack of need at a state level.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 12:15:20 PM »
Heaven help these officials.   The most brutal sport that I have officiated is Girls Basketball.   I have told many folks that there should be a regular football program for these ladies.    This should be a very interesting game to watch.   Parents, bring Band-Aids and other medical supplies.

Did a powder puff game years ago.

You think Parochial schools are bad with language, try all girls teams
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2023, 12:29:50 PM »
" FW already has a league apparently - are the officials regular TASO football officials or something different?"

Regular chapter officials.  It is in the spring though i believe.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 06:18:08 PM »
We struggle to find officials just to cover the regular 7 on 7 football.  No way would we be able to add another sport of flag football.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 10:02:37 PM »
We struggle to find officials just to cover the regular 7 on 7 football.  No way would we be able to add another sport of flag football.

Depends on what it pays... if it's close to varsity rates, I'd be all over a season of that in the spring.

Offline JBall

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 05:14:50 PM »
You know I thought doing s girls 6 man style of football could work. 

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2023, 08:41:19 PM »
No need to worry about it as it didn't pass. Don't know if it was rejected or they postponed/took no action.

Even if this were to happen, I wouldn't even be close to being interested. Bitch-fest in the waiting. I played a lot of flag football in college, and contact could not be avoided regardless of how hard we tried. We had a "no-whiners" rule that most everyone lived by (at least, in terms of the contact). Fortunately, we had few injuries, but we did have a couple of serious ones. I had one game once where I kept lining up against a really good receiver (who was consistently beating me!!). They were deep in our territory getting ready to score. It was a dimly lit field and a soccer goal had been dragged a few yards off the field. I don't think they realized how close they were, as he took off at the snap on a post looking back the entire way. I followed him for a second until I thought, "he's a decoy." Then, it happened. BOOM. Right into the soccer goal.

So, I was on him. He was out cold. About 30 seconds later, he comes to. I was like, "hey man, are you OK?" He says (no screwing around): "yeah, I'm OK, but where's my Guitar?" I said, "dude, stay there and don't move."

We got EMS and, I think, called the game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 04:26:12 PM by Joe Stack »

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 09:02:38 PM »
Bummer.