Author Topic: "By rule"  (Read 2190 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
"By rule"
« on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
I have noted that officials use the term "by rule" during some explanations of the decision. I've looked at the rules and searched the net for a simple explanation of the term to no avail. Here is an example of the term being used in the NCAA rules book. I found several others, but it does not seem to be a term that is used frequently.

A scrimmage or free kick before possession is gained or regained or
the ball is dead by rule.

It seems to me that everything is by rule. False start; by rule. Touchback; by rule ....... etc

Does it have anything to do with defining why there is a foul, or the penalty for the foul?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: "By rule"
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
It really only distinguishes the application of a rule without any judgment involved.  But, because so many people - mostly fans, but many coaches, too - think they know the rules, it also serves to let those folks know that the incident in question is covered by rule, and there is no judgment involved in the ruling.

Example announcement:  “When the ball carrier’s helmet came off, the ball was dead by rule.  Third down.  Number 22 of State may not participate in the next down.”  So, all those fans booing and coaches griping because the advance by the BC across the goal line after his helmet came off doesn’t count will know why.

Robert

Offline OSU65

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
thx....

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Another example on a TD play:  "Holding, defense #22.  That penalty is declined by rule."  Let's them know it's not carrying over to the kickoff or try because it is automatically declined.

Offline Morningrise

• FAN REACTION: +24/-7
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 12:22:33 PM »
I like it for its very subtle subtext of "we know what we're doing, and if you don't understand, that's you not us"

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
I like it for its very subtle subtext of "we know what we're doing, and if you don't understand, that's you not us"

:thumbup
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline OSU65

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
....or we don't know what we're doing, but we think we do so we're going to "sound official". Really how many fans actually even know where to download the rule book let alone have enough interest to actually try to decipher it.

The more time I spend reading rules/decisions, and questions/answers on this board, the more I get the feeling that there are many, many rulings that are in disagreement with the rules. How anyone could have instant recall on 400+ pages of rules/decisions is waaaayyyyy beyond my abilities.  :bOW I'm not sure how anyone could expect an "$65 and expenses, coach" official to study and remember them all, or an official at the highest levels for that matter. 

When I see a ruling that I don't understand I never think that the call is wrong. I just go to the rules book to see why the officials were right.