Author Topic: eject or disqualify  (Read 11853 times)

Offline jodibuck

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
eject or disqualify
« on: October 13, 2015, 11:59:53 AM »
Officials in my area are hesitant to "eject" a player.  They call it a disqualification, when in fact, the act clearly fall under the criteria for an ejection. 

In our state, we have to send in a report to the state office if we have a disqualification, or an ejection, so as far as "paperwork" is required, we have to do the same amount of work for either.  So, why don't we properly report the act as an ejection?  Are we trying to do the player "a favor" by just making him leave that game, instead of enforcing the rules?

We had a play last week where A45 struck player B32 with his fist.  B32 retaliated by tackling A45 and they rolled on the ground together for about 10 seconds.  The white hat advised both coaches that each player had been "ejected" from the game.  When the game report was sent to the state office, the referee submitted it as a "DQ".  Because of this, both players were allowed to play their team's next game.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: eject or disqualify
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »
By the rule book, there is no such thing as an "ejection". A player is "disqualified" instead of "ejected".  There's no difference between the two.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 12:32:33 PM »
Where I am, the distinction is simple:

A disqualification occurs when a player receives his second unsportsmanlike conduct foul.

An ejection happens for any single flagrant event that requires "disqualification" by rule (fighting, profanity, targeting, etc.)

The difference is a state level definition that dictates extended suspensions (has to sit out the next game or two) and other requirements for the offender to regain eligibility. The NFHS does not define the difference.

If crews in your area are afraid of officially "ejecting" a player for not wanting to enforce extended punishments, well, that's a discussion that you need to be having with them and your area/state supervisors.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »
If crews in your area are afraid of officially "ejecting" a player for not wanting to enforce extended punishments, well, that's a discussion that you need to be having with them and your area/state supervisors.

+1

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:07:33 PM »
Here, there is no difference, and ejection or a disqualification are the same thing.  And whatever you call it, it carries an additional (minimum) one game suspension for a first offense.

Sometimes, in order to avoid an ejection, the referee will "suggest" to a coach that the coach may want to remove the player himself.  If the coach doesn't do it (and he's a fool if he doesn't), he's taking a huge risk of the officials ejecting the player.

Of course, some things are automatic.  Throw a punch and you're gone.

ECILLJ

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:30:50 PM »
Here, there is no difference, and ejection or a disqualification are the same thing.  And whatever you call it, it carries an additional (minimum) one game suspension for a first offense.

Ditto in Illinois.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:06 PM »
Whether, or not, disqualification/ejection includes a prohibition against playing in a subsequent contest(s) is a decision made beyond the scope of game officials authority, and should have no bearing on decisions made by game officials. 

Offline Hezekiah

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:28:11 PM »
By their actions, players disqualify themselves!  It is therefore a disqualification by rule.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »
 yEs:

Offline VALJ

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »
Sometimes, in order to avoid an ejection, the referee will "suggest" to a coach that the coach may want to remove the player himself.  If the coach doesn't do it (and he's a fool if he doesn't), he's taking a huge risk of the officials ejecting the player.

Of course, some things are automatic.  Throw a punch and you're gone.

At least, "you're gone" if your R doesn't decide to give the coach the option of sitting the kid out so he doesn't have to enforce the EJ.  Had that happen to me once - told the R that the B player had thrown a punch and disqualified himself, and the R went to the coach and told him that "we should eject him, but if you sit him the rest of the night we won't."  Grrr....   >:(

Offline dch

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 09:04:48 PM »
In California the high school governing body (CIF) has decreed that ejection / disqualification results in the athlete and/or coach is also disqualified for the next game.  This makes it easy on the administrators as no review or decision is required on a case by case basis.  However, I feel that it makes it tough on the game officials as the effect goes beyond this week's game.  Officiating groups, coaches (and many individual officials) discourage disqualifications because the "next week" penalty is so severe.  Therefore, we are pressured to overlook or minimize some situations and not "clean-up" tonight's game as the rules book and common sense would have us do.  The end result is fewer tools in our tool box. http://www.refstripes.com/forum/Smileys/classic/pileon.gif

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »
Here in NorCal we no one has ever pressured use not to DQ anyone. Although couple of weeks ago I ejected for throwing a punch. He was the best kid on the team and HC coach begged me not to eject him but all I needed was for someone to tell the next opponent that the kid should be playing because is was penalized for fighting last game.

I do hate to eject kids. Fighting is a must. I will also do it for directing a racial slurs at at the other team. The targetting and flagrant hits are also causing more ejections. We are had one school that would suspend the player from class if they were suspended from a game. We really tried to not ejected any of those players.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
eject or disqualify
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 12:59:42 AM »
I'm in the NorCal area also and we've never been discouraged from disqualifying a player that needs to be. Frankly, I don't care what happens beyond our game. I'm going to do what I have to keep my game from hitting the toilet.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
Ejection/DQ in football is the same thing.  I'm not sure why your state differentiated between the two.

For football, I personally like the term "ejection" better than "disqualification", even though DQ is the proper term. Disqualification sounds like you lost a race or something. lol

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »
For football, I personally like the term "ejection" better than "disqualification", even though DQ is the proper term. Disqualification sounds like you lost a race or something. lol

It's also distracting because it reminds me of ice cream.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
Ejection/DQ in football is the same thing.  I'm not sure why your state differentiated between the two.

I bet somewhere, sometime, some coach pretended to be confused about the issue. "You only said he had to leave the field! You didn't say he couldn't come back later!" ... and thus, the players became "disqualified from further participation" in the game, not just "ejected from the field".

It's also distracting because it reminds me of ice cream.

I get a free Blizzard if I say a naughty word? Oh Fudge!! (only I didn't say 'fudge')

Offline VALJ

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2015, 10:03:58 AM »
I'm in the NorCal area also and we've never been discouraged from disqualifying a player that needs to be. Frankly, I don't care what happens beyond our game. I'm going to do what I have to keep my game from hitting the toilet.

+1

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
In FL, all player ejections are reviewed by the state.  The player is automatically ineligible for the next game, and suspensions can extend for as long as 6 games.  If only a few football games remain in the season, the suspension can carry over to any other sport that the athlete might play.  In addition, the school is fined and I believe the amount is $250. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 12:00:25 PM »
In Maine (the only state that borders on but one state and the only state that has but one syllable) :

Basketball : 5 fouls and you're disqualified, punch somebody and your ejected.

Football : 2  >:D >:D USC fouls or a  >:Dflagrant foul  ^flag :thumbup and you're ejected. yEs:
             2  >:D >:D USC fouls or a   >:Dflagrant foul ^flag :thumbup and you're disqualified. yEs:
             If you are disqualified, you're also ejected yEs:
             If you are ejected, you're also disqualified. yEs:

IMHO, It sounds better to tell people that you were disqualified, as they might think that was because you flunked French. If you say that you were ejected, they might consider the worse....that you kicked Bubba in the babymakers.

...time for lunch eAt&

Offline VTMarcf

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 02:44:41 PM »
Can any officials eject a player or does that just fall on the Referee?

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2023, 03:10:31 PM »
Any official can call a foul that is deemed worthy of ejection (such as flagrant fouls); however, IMO it should be a crew decision - maybe decision's not the right word, but the crew needs to support it. Ideally with multiple flags or at least witnesses as to what happened to get to that point.

Offline theride

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2023, 03:26:50 PM »
You eject Coaches, you disqualify players.  Eject means they have to leave the stadium and be out of site and out of sound. 

You disqualify players because they have to retain adult supervision, and don't have to leave the stadium.  That is the difference between the two.  I was taught that many years ago by a long standing veteran of the NFHS Football Rules Committee.