Author Topic: I guess it was bound to happen... your thoughts  (Read 19627 times)

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
Re: I guess it was bound to happen... your thoughts
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2016, 08:35:40 AM »
I agree that his choice is very extreme. I just don't think we are right to judge his stance without knowing why he choose to do so. Many are speculating its because he wants attention. I  disagree. People want to start a conversation to open peoples minds.

There is one small point you seem to be ignoring.  The very same right that permits him to do such a thing, permits us as well to judge him.  Further, the freedom of speech and expression does not mean there is freedom from repercussion.  He can do it all he wants, until the organization/association he represents tells him he can't.  At that point he has to cease his action or face the repercussions of his actions (i.e. suspension, scratch, etc.).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 08:38:56 AM by jason »

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 07:18:07 AM »
My Wednesday....

......began with an assignment to be a white hat in this Friday's playoff game. I started doing this the first year Nixon was pres, but still get a thrill when assigned....

.....as I turned on our TV, I saw a guy wildly waving his arms and , too, wearing a white hat.His had lettering that read "MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.." ,or something there such.....

.....for a moment, I pondered wearing such a hat on the field :-\ :-\......

.....I quickly realized that many at the game may favor the Lady on the opposite side of the ballot, and I'll be deemed to be biased even before the coin toss.....

......I'll silently voice my opinion at the polls next Tuesday, as I vote for the guy with the hat; and will work my assigned game with thoughts only of the game it self.....

......turning the channel, I wildly began to cheer for a team whose last championship was in the era of Teddy Roosevelt asking/telling football to ban the flying wedge.....

.....in the wee hours of the morning, with a weak grounder to the 3rd baseman, that team's impossible dream became possible......

GOD BLESS AMERICA.....

GOD BLESS AMERICA'S NATIONAL PASTIME.....

CHEERS FOR THE CHICAGO CUBS!!!!!!

FlAg1 aWaRd aWaRd aWaRd FlAg1

LET'S LET SPORTS PROVIDE THE OUTLET THAT IT IS. A SHORT TIME AWAY FROM THE WORRY/ANGER/HATERED OF THE WORLD....AND A TIME THAT, WE AS OFFICIALS, CAN BE PART OF.. tiphat:

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:21:25 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 07:56:52 AM »
I've always looked at sports officiating as :
<snip>    (4) PROVIDING AN OUTLET FROM PROBLEMS OF : THE WORLD/OUR COUNTRY/OUR CITY/ETC...

This.  One of the best days of my officiating career came on the Friday after my wife had been in ICU since Tuesday afternoon. She had given birth to my daughter on Saturday, came home on Monday, and went back in on Tuesday with some major complications. She was feeling a bit better on Thursday, and I told her I was calling out of my game Friday afternoon, but she insisted I go.  That was the most fun I've ever had working a game in my life - three hours without worrying about my wife, or my newborn 6-day old child who was spending some quality time with my Dad, or anything but being on the field.  I think I broke down in the locker room afterwards.

I don't have any problem with someone doing what they feel they need to do. I don't think I'd want to work with that official again, though. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Indeed it is your choice to try and stifle that mans standpoint. The people with the power have done so for centuries.

I'm not trying to stifle anyone's standpoint. He has every right to make a statement in a way that is not violent, or confrontational.

At the same time, I have the right to choose not to be in a situation where one of my colleagues on the field has already made us a lightning rod for attention. 

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
It seems that this thread has run its course.  Too bad, it was certainly interesting.