Author Topic: any news?  (Read 24991 times)

Offline east louis

• FAN REACTION: +1/-15
any news?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:10 AM »
anybody get any feedback from last wknd's NFHS football rules mtg yet about any changes?

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: any news?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »
The Fed usually keeps that info close to the vest until the final approvals are received.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:01:39 PM »
You got about a month for a press release as I recall how it goes.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
That's about right. Until then, speculation can run rampant.  :sTiR:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Yep, they usually have 'em out before spring practice starts.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
Then we're down to changing rules for the sake of change.  Searching for a non-existent problem.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
The earliest we have gotten the release was on Valentine's Day, which we did for a few years.  The last year or two, it's been later than that.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
The earliest we have gotten the release was on Valentine's Day, which we did for a few years.  The last year or two, it's been later than that.

I recall posts in days gone by on other boards from "insiders" who would give us a preview of what transpired, before the official press release.  Are those spies still around? 8]

younggun

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 05:51:56 PM »
I cannot confirm or deny this information but I was told from a crediable source. There will be a "change to free kicks" That is all...

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
Our state super's e mail stated that the changes could not yet be released as they had not rec'd final approval.  It also indicated that the mechanics manual is in for some revamping.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:40 PM »
It also indicated that the mechanics manual is in for some revamping.
I hope they're not putting the U on a post for PATs and FGs.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »

That is the Ohio mechanic, it worked for us.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline BIG UMP

• FAN REACTION: +9/-1
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

To me this would make sense especially for PATs.  I would go with anything snapped inside the 15.
Big Ump

"EVERY JOB IS A SELF-PORTRAIT OF THE PERSON WHO DID IT.  AUTOGRAPH YOUR WORK WITH EXCELLENCE."~unknown

ECILLJ

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:12 AM »
Having a sideline exposed seems more of a concern than having U step back a few yards to cover a post. It seems like a reasonable change in 5 man mechanics.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:04 PM »
Having a sideline exposed seems more of a concern than having U step back a few yards to cover a post.
Who do you propose will cover the $h!t that goes on in between the tackles on these plays?
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
Personally, I see the rationale on U being under posts on trys.
H/L still have full & complete LOS duties on fakes. - no scrambling around.
U can "cover the $h!t that goes on in between the tackles on these plays" until toe contacts ball.  Once this happens, he will focus on uprights.

I really don't see the drawbacks unless I'm missing something.

busman

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:20:04 PM »
So the ump will get about a 1.4 second look at the line to see roughing the snapper, holding, hands to the face, cheap shot flippers, etc., process it, throw a flag, then refocuse on the ball and upright.  Sure, not a problem!

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
So the ump will get about a 1.4 second look at the line to see roughing the snapper, holding, hands to the face, cheap shot flippers, etc., process it, throw a flag, then refocuse on the ball and upright.  Sure, not a problem!
good points bus.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 10:32:03 PM »
good points bus.
Glad I'm not the only one who sees this. And I'm not a Umpire.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
So the ump will get about a 1.4 second look at the line ...

1.25 seconds if it's my team!

jjseikel

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 12:41:02 PM »
Since the "post(s)" are buried in the ground, I doubt if you'll ever see an official positioned there, with the possible exception being New Jersey. ;D
Now some may put the U under an "upright" along side the B thus usually resulting in a Laural and Hardy appearance but it may not be a good suggestion to have a U looking up as he could lose his equilibrium and topple over.

AP

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 03:53:21 PM »
The mechanic for Umpires under an upright is great.  It works very well for the H/LJ who can see down the line for jumping on players just fine.  It also allows them to easily beat a runner to the GL and GL extended, which is nearly impossible for the H/LJ if they are under an upright.  If a foul like holding or leaping occurs the Umpire need not worry about chucking the flag to the spot, we know where the spot is, the LOS.  The benefits of this mechanic change far outreach its flaws.  Ohio uses it and it's gotten great feedback.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 05:30:15 PM »
One more reason I appreciate 6 and 7 man crews (plus an ECO)!

No 5 man crews on Friday nights here.  While 5 is the minimum allowed for a Varsity game, we haven't had a 5 man crew in 6 or 7 years, and that was way out in a rural town.

waltjp

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »
Since the "post(s)" are buried in the ground, I doubt if you'll ever see an official positioned there, with the possible exception being New Jersey. ;D
Now some may put the U under an "upright" along side the B thus usually resulting in a Laural and Hardy appearance but it may not be a good suggestion to have a U looking up as he could lose his equilibrium and topple over.

Now that was just uncalled for!

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:03 PM »
If a foul like holding or leaping occurs...
When did leaping become a foul in Fed? Or is that an Ohio rule, too?
- Vince Lombardi