Author Topic: Football Referee at 30: What Are My Chances of Reaching the NCAA Someday?  (Read 567 times)

Offline Denchmill

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Hello everyone,

At 30, I'm eager to pursue a career as a football referee. It's a passion that has always driven me, and now I aim to turn it into a serious profession. My ultimate goal is to reach the collegiate level and work as a referee for the NCAA.

I'm reaching out to this forum today seeking advice and experiences from those who may have followed a similar path. What are my realistic chances of reaching the NCAA as a referee at my age? Are there specific steps I should take to maximize my opportunities?

I've already started looking into referee training programs and I'm willing to invest time and effort into this pursuit. However, I am aware that the journey might be long and come with its challenges. If you have any advice, personal stories, or recommended resources to share, I would greatly appreciate it.

Additionally, if anyone has contacts in the california football referee community, I would be thrilled to connect with you or them for more personalized insights.

Thank you in advance for your valuable assistance. I'm looking forward to reading your responses and embarking on this journey toward realizing my dream of refereeing at the NCAA level.

Offline Rob S

• FAN REACTION: +13/-0
Re: Football Referee at 30: What Are My Chances of Reaching the NCAA Someday?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2023, 07:22:56 PM »
Starting at 30 is a lot younger than the average these days. Getting to NCAA is plenty doable. There are many guys who don't get to D1 until well into their 40s. I'm not sure what part of California you're in, but we have some great associations in Southern California that produce a lot of quality college officials.

To move up, you'll need to attend some camps (unfortunately most places won't hire you unless they've seen you work) after you have some experience at high school. Get a mentor and join a study group - those are probably the two other big things.

Offline Denchmill

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Football Referee at 30: What Are My Chances of Reaching the NCAA Someday?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2023, 07:42:03 PM »
Starting at 30 is a lot younger than the average these days. Getting to NCAA is plenty doable. There are many guys who don't get to D1 until well into their 40s. I'm not sure what part of California you're in, but we have some great associations in Southern California that produce a lot of quality college officials.

To move up, you'll need to attend some camps (unfortunately most places won't hire you unless they've seen you work) after you have some experience at high school. Get a mentor and join a study group - those are probably the two other big things.

Thanks, Rob. I'm in Southern California. Can we get in contact?