Author Topic: Spiking the ball in field goal formation... Intentional Grounding?  (Read 421 times)

Offline Brett_Peterson18

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
This is a question I have been dying to find the answer for after I first saw it. Here's the situation: The final seconds are ticking down and a team is lining up for a game winning field goal. They thought the clock had been stopped due to confusion from a flag on the previous play, but upon realizing that the clock was running, the holder calls for the ball and spikes it to stop the clock instead of rushing the field goal attempt. While he received praise for a "heads up play" from the commentators the play was flagged for intentional grounding. I tried looking through the rulebook but could not find anything regarding this situation. This happened in the 2004 state championship game between Hawkinsville and Clinch County (The game is available on YouTube if you want to see it for yourself). If this was in fact the correct call for a High school game, I am also wondering if the rule is any different for the NCAA and NFL.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Spiking the ball in field goal formation... Intentional Grounding?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 12:05:01 AM »
Correct in NFHS and NFL, incorrect in NCAA. NFHS and NFL both require the passer to be under center to spike the ball. NCAA does not. In NCAA, it would be legal as long as the ball had not touched the ground prior to the pass and he did so immediately after catching the snap.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 07:33:42 AM »
NFHS and NFL both require the passer to be under center to spike the ball.

While this is no longer true in NFHS, it was correct in 2004.  The penalty is 5 yards + LOD from the spot of the foul.  In addition, the R should order the clock to start on the RFP, since this was obviously done to conserve time.

If the holder had a knee on the ground when he spiked the ball, there would be no penalty. The down is over, the ball is spotted right there, and the clock continues to run.

Offline Brett_Peterson18

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 11:38:27 AM »
I appreciate it y'all. This definitely cleared things up for me