Author Topic: FK Mechanics  (Read 3057 times)

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
FK Mechanics
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
I heard a rumor that there is a new 7 Man FK diagram (may be conference specific) regarding zone coverage areas.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: FK Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:56:11 PM »
Must be conference specific. There is nothing new in the mechanics manual for free kicks. All the diagrams are exactly the same.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
This is what I have seen distributed for 7 man.  My understanding is it is sourced from the Coordinators Mechanics Committee.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »
Here is the 8 man diagram.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 05:27:18 PM »
This definitely moving away from keying kicking team players, and looking for threats in the various lanes or zones.  Around 2003, we realized that watching A players was a waste of time.  Very unusual for them to commit a foul on a blocker.  They might run out of bounds, but that’s even unusual.
It’s the receiving team players that are going to hold, BBW, BIB, etc.  Look for the receiving team player in your lane/zone that is a threat to foul.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
This change is more of a result of the officials on the kicking and receiving restraining lines needing to watch for 2 man wedges moreso than changing the visual mechanics due to ineffectiveness.  To me, keying the kickers has always worked because they will take you to the foul.  This also makes sure everyone is getting looked at without being in a "fuzzy" zone where someone can be missed going in and out of focus.

Personally, I would still watch the kicking team players as you always have and also be sure to pick up 2 man wedges in your zone.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »
Keying on kicking team players was very enlightening to me! Instead of watching an area that has multiple people running multiple directions and trying to figure out who to watch, I focus on 2 players who take me to trouble. If the play breaks out I get into zone coverage but by then I'm close to the action and it's easier to key. I understand the issue with the wedges so things probably have to change, but I also doubt there will be very many illegal wedges.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
This is what I have seen distributed for 7 man.  My understanding is it is sourced from the Coordinators Mechanics Committee.

Will some or all coordinators be utilizing the revised mechanic?

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
If they're moving away from keying on K players & moving to zones, why not switch the key to R players? - who are committing most of the fouls

Offline Bigfrizz81

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 07:55:38 PM »
I know my assignor wants us to use the zone coverage. I think not specifically putting an emphasis on any particular keys just makes us more aware of what is going on in our coverage areas.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 07:15:24 AM »
I know my assignor wants us to use the zone coverage. I think not specifically putting an emphasis on any particular keys just makes us more aware of what is going on in our coverage areas.

Yeah, that's essentially what we were doing.  Find the guys in your "lanes," and see which ones are going to become engaged, and see what they do.  Look for the greatest threat in your lanes (or zones, if you want to use that term).  If the first threat fizzles, move to someone else, etc.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:19:04 AM »
Well, those diagrams have been formally published to the world (on the CFO web site).  Good.  WAYYYYY better than "keying" kicking team players.  Go forth and prosper.