Author Topic: Your opinions...what's hot & what's not......  (Read 14637 times)

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Your opinions...what's hot & what's not......
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:49:07 PM »
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to Santa's Wish List tiphat:. I felt you might enjoy the tabulation (note - not everyone had an opinion on everything), ^talk.

What's hot :
  # 17 - dueling DB PF/USC fouls = 17-1
  # 11c - illegal formation on kick - re-kick or succeeding spot = 16-1
  # 11a - change "kicker" to "ball" =   17-2
  #10 - correct goofed up chains anytime during series = 15-2
  # 13 - can spike pass from shotgun = 14 - 2
  # 18 - previous spot if A fouls behind LOS = 13- 4

Mixed views :
  #2 = 9-6; #3 = 3-14; # 5 = 9-6; #6 = 4-14; # 7 = 3-10; #8 = 12-6; #9 = 4 -12; #15 =9-4;
  #16 = 5-8.

What's not :
 #1 = 2-16; #11b = 0-17; #14 = 2-15.

I'll plan to take your suggestions to the national meeting and use in discussions.

I'll plan to cheer on the Patriots the following week for Super Bowl XLIX.

...a friendly wager to anyone who may be rooting for the Baby Horses (Colts), Water Birds (Seahawks), or Meat Wrappers (Packers) :

If your teamgoes further than the Patriots, I'll close my next 10 posts with : " (Fill in the blank) rules, Patriots suck". If the Pats go further, you would respond as such - tie breaker : if both teams lose this weekend, least point spread = winner.

Thanks again for sharing your opinions, I value them. tiphat:

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
Re: Your opinions...what's hot & what's not......
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »
Has the committee ever shown any interest in adding a definition of "in bounds" to the rule book?  Right now we have "out of bounds" and by inference "not out of bounds". 

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
Has the committee ever shown any interest in adding a definition of "in bounds" to the rule book?  Right now we have "out of bounds" and by inference "not out of bounds".
There is nothing proposed this year for that but it is a very good idea and one I'll be glad to submit and push for next year.
If you wish, Prab, you can post the verbage that you feel would clarify and we can work from there.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »
There is nothing proposed this year for that but it is a very good idea and one I'll be glad to submit and push for next year.
If you wish, Prab, you can post the verbage that you feel would clarify and we can work from there.

A player or other person is out of bounds when any part of the person is touching anything, other than another player or game official, that is on or outside the sideline or end line.  A player is also out of bounds if he is in the air and was out of bounds when he left the ground.

This encompasses my proposed rule change :)

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:17 AM »
Sounds good, Bossman, I'll plan to submit it next year (proposals have to be in by Nov 1st).

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:51 AM »
A player is also out of bounds if he is in the air and was out of bounds when he left the ground.[/i]
Just like basketball... he is where he last was.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
Just like basketball... he is where he last was.
Your suggestions both make sense and will be discussed around our "campfire".

Question : Where our "campfire" occurs in a location where adult beverages are served and Indy's frenzied masses attend...would I be wise wearing my NE Patriot cap ??? ????

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:31:06 AM »
Replace 2-29-1 with;

A player who is in contact with the ground is in bounds when he is touching the ground entirely within the field of play and not touching anything other than another player or game official that is outside the field of play. 

A player who is in contact with the ground is out of bounds when any part of the player is touching anything, other than another player or game official that is outside the field of play.

An airborne player's in bounds/out of bounds status is the same as when he was last in touch with the ground.

Leave 29-1-2 and 29-1-3 the way they are.

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
Question : Where our "campfire" occurs in a location where adult beverages are served and Indy's frenzied masses attend...would I be wise wearing my NE Patriot cap ??? ????
Not in downtown Indianapolis, 2 blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium!
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 01:13:48 PM »
Not in downtown Indianapolis, 2 blocks from Lucas Oil Stadium!
Our hangout is The Ram which can be reached, via parking garages, without getting rained/ snowed/ hailed or spat on from our hotel. I'll take your advice and be a little more discreet - maybe a Red Sox cap yEs:!

Offline Rulesman

• Refstripes Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »
...which can be reached, via parking garages, without getting rained/ snowed/ hailed or spat on from our hotel.
And that is exactly what I love about downtown Indy! 7 square blocks, if I remember correctly.
- Vince Lombardi

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 07:36:36 AM »
And that is exactly what I love about downtown Indy! 7 square blocks, if I remember correctly.
The meetings have been in Indy for a while now. Prior, they used to bounce around each year...Marco Isle, FL; San Diego & S F, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Hilton Head, SC; New Orleans,LA ; all the way to Anchorage,AK . While "Windy Indy" is colder then most, it has always been convenient for all attending and something to break up the frozen tundra of Maine in January.

In attempt not to anger the frenzied masses of Indy, if their Baby Horses (Colts) don't survive this weekend, I decided not wear a hat of a New England professional team. To keep my New England roots, I'll wear a cap of a little known college --that happens to have  had the only UNDEFEATED D-I football program in the nation the past fall. Who can name it ??? ????

Offline jg-me

• FAN REACTION: +22/-4
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 07:57:05 AM »
Isn't it a bit misleading to say "little known"? 😊

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
I will abstain, as a couple of my former players are on the team, one making the interception late in the game against their rival that sealed the outcome.

But my cheeks are "crimson", beaming with pride!

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 08:09:22 AM »
Isn't it a bit misleading to say "little known"? 😊
Little known by jocks...well known by others ;) :)...a hint : The Boston Patriots' first home field (I believe)...even before Fenway!

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:32 AM »
Are we asking for undefeated Harvard vs OSU to determine the "real" national champion?   :sTiR:

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
I will abstain, as a couple of my former players are on the team, one making the interception late in the game against their rival that sealed the outcome.

But my cheeks are "crimson", beaming with pride!

I got recruited by a handful of Ivy League schools when I was in High School.  I think it's a shame they aren't allowed to enter the NCAA tournament.  Completely ridiculous.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 09:34:08 AM »
The Harvard Crimson was the only undefeated D-I team. Studying is more important to the student -athletes then bowl games and national championships ...HOWEVER, Ivy League teams go the  Big Dance (basketball), Frozen Four (ice hockey), College World Series (baseball) and the like. ??? ::) Must be that football players need to study harder.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
I think it's a shame they aren't allowed to enter the NCAA tournament. 
Their choice.  But I'm not sure I understand why they allow it in basketball (and hockey and lacrosse and wrestling, etc), but not football.

Interesting article here:
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2011/05/ivy-football-postseason-ban-not-what.html

Remember, for over 40 years, Notre Dame would not go to bowl games either.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 10:38:20 AM »
In attempt not to anger the frenzied masses of Indy, if their Baby Horses (Colts) don't survive this weekend, I decided not wear a hat of a New England professional team. To keep my New England roots, I'll wear a cap of a little known college --that happens to have  had the only UNDEFEATED D-I football program in the nation the past fall. Who can name it ??? ????

Just a suggestion, but if you're looking to wear a hat representing a widely accepted team, You might pick up a Yankee cap in at the Indy airport.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 10:43:57 AM »
And if you do pick up said hat, Ralph, we all want pictures. LOL

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
Just a suggestion, but if you're looking to wear a hat representing a widely accepted team, You might pick up a Yankee cap in at the Indy airport.
Ralph in a Yankee cap?  Maine will be 80 degrees all winter long before that happens!

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »
A few days after 9/11, I purchased a NY cap that was red,white, & blue. I felt patriotic, but many of my friends felt I might be turning into a Yankee fan. I felt a better place for my new hat was on the head of a miniature statue of Babe Ruth (in a Red Sox uniform-of course) in my man cave.

Dislikes : screaming coaches, Lima beans, New York Yankees.

Disclaimer : I would cheer for the Yankees if they were playing a team from : North Korea, Iran, Syria or from another planet. I dislike the 3 countries even more and I wouldn't want a team of Earthlings to lose to an interplanetary team as it would be bad for morale. nAnA aWaRd FlAg1 tiphat:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 11:13:39 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »
Dislikes : screaming coaches, Lima beans, New York Yankees. 

Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.  Have to agree with your placing screaming coaches and lima beans on the top of your list.  Maybe Yankee fans and those other fans actually have some things in common.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:50 AM »
Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.  Have to agree with your placing screaming coaches and lima beans on the top of your list.  Maybe Yankee fans and those other fans actually have some things in common.
Nothing against Yankee fans - under the First Amendant - they have the right to cheer for their favorite....I just don't like the team, but I do like the rivalry tiphat: