Author Topic: Pre-Free Kick  (Read 2168 times)

Offline bawags06

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
  • When old players go blind, they become officials.
Pre-Free Kick
« on: October 02, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »
This board always has lively discussions, so let's try this topic...

Prior to a Kickoff, most teams (K) spread out and line up. The kicker places his tee and waits to be handed the ball.

We know that only the one who ultimately kicks the ball may be touching or past the line that is 5 yards behind the ball. (K35 for most situations.) With this in mind, I offer several scenarios for discussion:

1.) In the standard "line up first, then get the ball" formation, the kicker gets the ball, places it, and the RFP sounds. The kicker backs up to 7 yards, as he starts to come forward, one of the other K players (doesn't matter which one) stutter-steps his foot to get started and steps on the K35 before coming forward. By rule, (6-1-3b), this is encroachment. Are you calling it?

2.) Occasionally, we'll see a team stay in the huddle until the kicker gets the ball and places it. The RFP sounds. (I know it is up to the WH to ensure 4 K players are on each side of the ball when it is kicked.) Does your leniency--if you had any--change on your encroachment call for stepping on K35 when the huddle breaks? (K assumes a standard free kick formation prior to the kick.)

3.) What about if K breaks the huddle quickly and runs to the ball to attempt an onside kick?

Online SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
Re: Pre-Free Kick
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:07:31 PM »
1) I’m most likely lenient in this case, primarily assuming that no advantage is gained by doing so, if any advantage is gained though it’s a foul

2) this is a case where the team needs to follow all of the rules and no leniency is given in my mind. We will happily delay the rfp for K to get setup properly, they have chosen to do something else so no leniency given.

3) onside kicks must be perfect in my mind

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »
1) I’m most likely lenient in this case, primarily assuming that no advantage is gained by doing so, if any advantage is gained though it’s a foul

2) this is a case where the team needs to follow all of the rules and no leniency is given in my mind. We will happily delay the rfp for K to get setup properly, they have chosen to do something else so no leniency given.

3) onside kicks must be perfect in my mind

This is how I enforce also.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
6-1-3b was written to reduce the momentum of charging K players on onside kicks. The spirit of the rule is to shut the play down if this occurs as the K players begin their approach, not if as they are strolling to their position they accidently step on the line. This is primarily the BJ's call.

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »
*double*. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:13:44 PM by brettjr2005 »

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
1. I'm not calling that just like I'm not calling a K player for being 2 inches over the line on a deep kick.  If it's only a couple inches and only one player does it then I probably don't even address it, tbh.  If it's a bit more obvious then I'll tell the coach: "coach, #35 was ____________.  Get that cleaned up, please" and they'll know that a flag is coming if it continues to happen. 

2. You mean if they are behind the 35 after the huddle but then come to a set position in front of the 35 prior to the kickoff?  They're not gaining any momentum, which is the intent of the rule, so that's definitely not getting called. 

3.  Deep kicks we'll be a bit more lenient because we want to limit re-kicks (even ones that get shut down "immediately") and because a couple inches isn't going create any noticeable advantage so it won't get a flag.  A couple inches on an onside kick can be a huge advantage and as such onside kicks need to be perfect.  Situation 1 is a flag on an onside kick but situation 2 still isn't a flag.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:12:33 PM by brettjr2005 »