Author Topic: Intentional “offsides” LSU vs Wisconsin  (Read 732 times)

Offline jra104

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Intentional “offsides” LSU vs Wisconsin
« on: January 01, 2024, 08:37:54 PM »
Did anyone else see that play?  Wisconsin intentionally grabbing LSU players and eventually grabbing the ball that’s marked ready for play all in an attempt to cause a dead ball to sub. The ball was already at the half yard line. Would think UNS penalty would’ve been more appropriate for repeated attempts to gain an unfair advantage and for intentionally grabbing a ball ready for play. Thoughts?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Intentional “offsides” LSU vs Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 09:41:47 PM »
Did anyone else see that play?  Wisconsin intentionally grabbing LSU players and eventually grabbing the ball that’s marked ready for play all in an attempt to cause a dead ball to sub. The ball was already at the half yard line. Would think UNS penalty would’ve been more appropriate for repeated attempts to gain an unfair advantage and for intentionally grabbing a ball ready for play. Thoughts?

Yes, I was arguing mentally that this should be an unfair act, and, in addition to the very short distance penalty, I would have awarded a first down.

Offline jra104

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 09:54:07 PM »
Yes, I was arguing mentally that this should be an unfair act, and, in addition to the very short distance penalty, I would have awarded a first down.
Thanks goodness. My family thought I was crazy for saying that could be the call there.

Offline Imperial Stout

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 10:17:03 AM »
I wonder if there is anything else here for Shaw to address, or just consider this a one-off incident.

The clear intent was a free substitution, even though timeouts still were available.  On top of the UNS, charging them a timeout would be equitable in this case. 

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 01:29:12 PM »
Just DOF is fine with me.  This is no worse than faking an injury so they can sub.

Offline ump_ben

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2024, 12:25:58 PM »
I think I'm with bossman (DOF is all you need here).  But I wonder if what you're really seeing here is that 1/2 the distance just isn't really a penalty in many cases.  If you really want to fix this, for DB 1/2 the distance penalties on the defense allow the offense the option of an extra down.   For 1/2 the distance penalties on the offense allow the option of moving the sticks instead of the ball.  I'm not at all sure that any of this is necessary but that's a solution to the root problem.  (You could also get rid of that section about awarding a touchdown for repeated 1/2 the distance penalties if you got rid of it which to me would be a bigger win than solving this "non"-problem.