Author Topic: grounded free kick  (Read 6139 times)

Martin Kiff

grounded free kick
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:13:45 PM »
One of those fun summer test questions.  K kicks the ball directly into the ground where it bounces high, 15 yards down field into the waiting arms of R who before catching the grounded kick gives a proper fair catch signal.  Is there any penalty for R,  should we kill the play to protect R.  Should I read the casebook and not bother you guys?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: grounded free kick
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
See 2-9-4-c and 6-5-7.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 01:42:55 PM »
This was on the proposed list of changes/modifications last year I believe.  It didn't pass, obviously.

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:45:13 PM »
Just to clarify, we do kill the play.

“ART. 5 . . . No receiver may advance the ball after a valid or invalid fair-catch signal has been given by any R player.”

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »
.....and from where, Martin, will the penalty be enforced? >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:15 PM »
I'm not Martin, but foul during a loose ball play.  Previous spot enforcement.

Offline ajsowada

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
I'm not Martin, but foul during a loose ball play.  Previous spot enforcement.

I agree for a free kick which is what I assumed based on the description of being kicked immediately into the ground. 

On a scrimmage kick beyond the enz, would it not be PSK enforcement?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:11:00 PM by ajsowada »

Martin Kiff

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »
Ok, lets say we have a short punt that bounces into the arms of R who doesn't give the fair catch signal until after the ball bounces.  Loose, previous spot.  But what about a 50 yard punt that bounces followed by IFC.  Can the delay be enforced from the dead ball spot?

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 04:41:15 PM »
Ok, lets say we have a short punt that bounces into the arms of R who doesn't give the fair catch signal until after the ball bounces.  Loose, previous spot. Nope; RUNNING PLAY (signal given after possession): let the play go; but the enforcement spot, if accepted by K, is where the ball was possessed

But what about a 50 yard punt that bounces followed by IFC.  Can the delay be enforced from the dead ball spot? When a SCRIMMAGE KICK is grounded followed by by an invalid fair catch signal, it (the signal) is a PSK foul enforced from the end of the kick (which would be where R possessed it - a/k/a the dead ball spot).  Unlike the play above, the signal preceded possession; so shut it down immediately).

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Ok, lets say we have a short punt that bounces into the arms of R who doesn't give the fair catch signal until after the ball bounces.  PSK? Loose, previous spot.  But what about a 50 yard punt that bounces followed by IFC.  Can you have IFC after the ball bounces?  Can the delay be enforced from the dead ball spot?

Offline prab

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:46:17 PM »
Ok, lets say we have a short punt that bounces into the arms of R who doesn't give the fair catch signal until after the ball bounces.

I read this to say that the fair catch signal was given after the ball bounced but BEFORE it was possessed.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 05:16:15 PM »
Ok, lets say we have a short punt that bounces into the arms of R who doesn't give the fair catch signal until after the ball bounces.

I read this to say that the fair catch signal was given after the ball bounced but BEFORE it was possessed.
PSK. 

During the scrimmage kick plays, other than a try or successful field goal  - CHECK
During a scrimmage kick play in which the ball crosses the expanded neutral zone.  - CHECK
Beyond the expanded neutral zone - CHECK
Before the end of a kick.  - CHECK
And K will not be next to put the ball in play. - CHECK

Offline VALJ

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:46:38 PM »
Can you have IFC after the ball bounces?

2-9-4: An invalid fair-catch signal is any signal by a receiver before the kick is caught or recovered:
  b.  After the kick has touched the ground.

Offline prab

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
In my previous post, PSK? and Can you have IFC after the ball bounces? were meant to be rhetorical questions.  I will endeavor to be more clear in the future.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 02:40:23 PM »
Ah, my fault.  Since they were embedded in the quote, I wasn't sure if that was rhetorical, or just misplaced.  My bad... :)