Author Topic: NFHS Rules Survey is up  (Read 5374 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: NFHS Rules Survey is up
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2022, 06:39:29 PM »
Some real-life reasons why “yes.” better to be able to announce the nature of the foul, i.e., late hit, taunting, etc.
I could list a dozen more. But I’ll stop there.
The cost of a simple but good referee’s field mic system is less than $4,000. That is a very small investment that will yield great returns.

Considering the "nature" of those complaining about anything/everything, it's still pretty lopsided that these complaints ONLY happen when they negatively affect "THEIR" team. As for better communication with the fans, sometimes yes, depending on the relevance of the detail, but most often most often it's not going to matter.

1. For timing adjustments, direct communication between Referee & Clock operator might help, but a simple signal for "Clock Adjustment" ( then everyone interested could simply watch the clock and see what happens, should suffice.
2. Disqualification signals when necessary after Signals 38 (or 27) when followed by a clear Signal 47, should send a clear signal of what is happening to anyone paying attention.  Either a verbal, or hand gesture signal to the respective Head Coach would be helpful.
3. When a loss of a helmet causes a player to be removed, the result seems somewhat obvious.
4. For False Start &/or Illegal formation, Signal 19 seems adequate for spectators, an additional verbal clarification to the HC may be of value.
5. For UNS & UNR fouls the current signal seems adequate.

It's helpful if the game "announcer" is aware of each signal, to inform the spectators, but as we all know (at the NFHS level) that can often present additional confusion.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2022, 06:26:51 AM »
Some real-life reasons why “yes.”
1. Had a playoff game last week and we had a late-game situation that required the game clock to be re-set. No field mic. Had to try to show fingers to the CO. After three INCORRECT resets, and about 2 full minutes (a football eternity), the clock finally got reset correctly. With a field mic, as I have done dozens of times before when I had a field mic, I could have flipped on the mic, announced the time to the put on the clock, and we could have been back to play in maybe 10 seconds, total.
2. Had a playoff game yesterday, at the same location, and we had dead-ball UNRs by both teams, with one player being disqualified. Couldn’t make an announcement of the DQ’d player’s number and reason for the DQ. The fans, and everybody else, deserve to know what was going on. Even if I wanted to, I can’t yell loud enough to let folks in the stands and pressbox know  what is going on.
3. When a player’s helmet comes off, it is infinitely better to offer an explanation to the masses as to why he is leaving the game for one down.
4. For fouls that use S19, it is infinitely better to be able to announce the specific foul.
5. For UNS and UNR fouls, it is infinitely better to be able to announce the nature of the foul, i.e., late hit, taunting, etc.

I could list a dozen more. But I’ll stop there.
The cost of a simple but good referee’s field mic system is less than $4,000. That is a very small investment that will yield great returns.
First, I like field mics. They help. But these reasons can be handled without them.
1. We have Midland 2 ways, and always make sure the clock operator has one. If we need to correct the clock we just talk to h8 or her.
2. Not sure the fans need to know every detail.
3. Most fans know by now that when a hat rolls somebody is leaving.
4. I agree we need more signals.
5. I agree. Hurdling comes to mind…

* Per the $4,000 comment, we officiate schools in our neck of the woods who can’t afford matching uniforms. They probably can’t invest in a field mic system. I suppose a corporation could donate one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2022, 07:38:49 AM »
1. Had a playoff game last week and we had a late-game situation that required the game clock to be re-set. No field mic. Had to try to show fingers to the CO. After three INCORRECT resets, and about 2 full minutes (a football eternity), the clock finally got reset correctly. With a field mic, as I have done dozens of times before when I had a field mic, I could have flipped on the mic, announced the time to the put on the clock, and we could have been back to play in maybe 10 seconds, total.

This is exactly why our ECOs have O2O capability.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2022, 09:23:08 AM »
This is exactly why our ECOs have O2O capability.

I agree. Why more crews don't have radios is beyond me. One of my college white hats does not have radios, so I asked my crew mates for that game to pitch in money to buy a set. 8 radios would be roughly $320, so it would be about $40 per person. Only one person seemed interested.

O2O is really helpful in communicating to the clock operator, but it only really works when the clock operator knows how to use it. If he is an official, it is more likely that he knows O2O etiquette. If not, I might have to spend time teaching him how to use the radio.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
I never cease to be amazed at how we can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make ‘em drink.

As for providing an O2O radio to a clock operator(s), that would be OK, if operators were fellow officials who understand the other communications we may have, and they are the only ones that can hear our communications.  But operators are School Board members, math teachers, other sport coaches, local farmers, etc., working for free. Even if schools would pay for officials to run the clocks, we don’t have enough folks to provide clock operators.

Can’t help those that won’t be helped.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2022, 10:16:29 AM »
Maybe this is a reason why the financial investment wouldn't be a problem in my parts, but it seems every school around me has a coach "in the booth" and a headset system for communication -- even for schools that are very rural and underfunded. Any time we've needed a clock adjustment and the clock operator either a) wasn't an official or b) didn't have the OTO radio, we relayed a message through the home team's coaches. The only time we've had to stand on the field looking dumb trying to give hand signals was when the clock operator puts the wrong time up for halftime and then immediately leaves so nobody's watching us at all.

Somewhat unrelated as a mechanics issue, this gets me thinking different white hats that do different things. In the likely case that you don't have a field mic, if the WH is giving a penalty signal, does the WH actually verbalize what you would be saying as if they were able to be heard, or just mime the signals?

Most WHs I work with say *something*, but very few make it sound like you hear on TV. Most are very informal about it -- rather than saying "Holding. Offense. Number 56. Ten yard penalty. Replay second down." they'd say "That's a hold on the offense, and it's still two". I kind of like the formal TV version because it makes you very deliberate and slow with the signals, whereas informal or nothing said can lead to being really fast and people miss what you did or it leads to mistakes.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2022, 10:19:09 AM »
I never cease to be amazed at how we can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make ‘em drink.

As for providing an O2O radio to a clock operator(s), that would be OK, if operators were fellow officials who understand the other communications we may have, and they are the only ones that can hear our communications.  But operators are School Board members, math teachers, other sport coaches, local farmers, etc., working for free. Even if schools would pay for officials to run the clocks, we don’t have enough folks to provide clock operators.

Our ecos are registered officials. They have to pay dues and attend meetings. Not all are on the field officials. All are instructed to use the earpiece.  We’ve not had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2022, 11:18:41 AM »
Maybe this is a reason why the financial investment wouldn't be a problem in my parts, but it seems every school around me has a coach "in the booth" and a headset system for communication -- even for schools that are very rural and underfunded. Any time we've needed a clock adjustment and the clock operator either a) wasn't an official or b) didn't have the OTO radio, we relayed a message through the home team's coaches. The only time we've had to stand on the field looking dumb trying to give hand signals was when the clock operator puts the wrong time up for halftime and then immediately leaves so nobody's watching us at all.
Yes. We’ve done that hundreds of times. A) Move to the home sideline. B) Track down a cooperative coach that will communicate with a pressbox coach. C) Ask him to have his pressbox coach go tell the GCO to reset the game clock to mm:ss. D) Wait. E) Stare at the game clock and wait for the time to change. F) Wait. E) See the clock display go to 0:00. F) See the clock display go to 12:00. G) Hear the coach on the headphones say, “What time did you want?” H) Repeat the process. J) Finally see the clock display set to mm:ss. K) Move back to the field and get the game resumed. Elapsed time: 1:05.
With field mic: A) Switch on the mic. B) “Clock operator, please set the game clock to mm:ss; mm,ss.” C) Wait. D) See the clock display set to mm:ss. E) Say, “Thank you.” F) Resume the game. Elapsed time: 0:15.

Somewhat unrelated as a mechanics issue, this gets me thinking different white hats that do different things. In the likely case that you don't have a field mic, if the WH is giving a penalty signal, does the WH actually verbalize what you would be saying as if they were able to be heard, or just mime the signals?

Most WHs I work with say *something*, but very few make it sound like you hear on TV. Most are very informal about it -- rather than saying "Holding. Offense. Number 56. Ten yard penalty. Replay second down." they'd say "That's a hold on the offense, and it's still two". I kind of like the formal TV version because it makes you very deliberate and slow with the signals, whereas informal or nothing said can lead to being really fast and people miss what you did or it leads to mistakes.
Since my first FBS assignment as the Referee, I have always fully verbalized all announcements. Even when I don’t have a field mic (about 70% of the time nowadays, at HS stadia), much of the time, sideline personnel (and players on the field) can hear the announcement, and it helps tremendously in having the essential folks understand what is going on, whether a penalty, a time out, a helmet off, an injury, whatever. Then, when I do have a field mic, there is no stumbling for words. Everything stays seamless. I strongly recommend EVERY referee, with or without a field mic, fully verbalize every announcement.Then everything stays 100% natural when you DO have a field mic.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2022, 01:14:22 PM »
Maybe 10 years ago had a game, I was the LJ. The clock operator came down to the field to talk to me. He came with another man and said they had radios and if the clock needed to be changed he would be behind me so we could relay the correct time. Of course we didn't need to change the clock...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2022, 09:52:27 AM »

I carry a spare radio (because we don't use crews, and every single week, there's 'that guy' who didn't bring his) but under no circumstances am I giving a radio to a non-official.  We can barely fill the games our chapter gets, we just don't have the bodies to have an auxiliary clock or chain crews.

Offline jason

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
1. Basic Spot - No. Leave it alone. Offenses that don't like the way it is should avoid committing a foul.
2. Towels - Yes. Dear God, change it. Who cares what color they are.
3. Game Clock - No. Games were longer but the 25/40 change helped shave some of that time.
4. IG - No. The intent of the rule is safety, and that applies to anyone potentially throwing.
5. AFD on UNR/UNS - No. Changing it to be like NCAA in order not to confuse fans/coaches is not a good enough reason.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:10:06 AM by jason »

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2022, 07:16:47 PM »
I have mixed feeling about O2O radios.

We have problems with the head sets.  They are not very robust.

Crews stop using hand signals to each other (I shout) and preliminary signals.  Not good.

Field mics are handy if there is something that needs to be explained.  Few things do.  I only have one a few times a year.

Earpiece and a switch on my collar, field mic on my collar or around my neck.  On my belt two flags, one beanbag, O2O radio, field mic radio and separate on/off switch. 

I am Batman.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2022, 11:21:02 PM »
O2O has variables - 1) radio brand, 2) earpiece/mic brand, 3) operator error.

I've used Baofengs, Motorolas, and Yapalongs.  The earpiece mics that came with the Baofengs were trashed shortly after I opened the box.  I tried to upgrade them a bit.  Their quality is more important than the radio model IMO.

I find that the two biggest operator errors are 1) failing to pause after pushing the xmit button and 2) the security style mics have a very small opening that some users cover over with their finger while pushing xmit, which can muffle or eradicate their voice transmission.

I recommend the Klein Comfit boom mic.  They come in both M1 and K1 2pin connectors.
The average price is about $70 but I did find a source, hightechwireless.com, that sells them for $43.

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2022, 04:18:03 AM »
I've used Baofengs, Motorolas, and Yapalongs.  The earpiece mics that came with the Baofengs were trashed shortly after I opened the box.  I tried to upgrade them a bit.  Their quality is more important than the radio model IMO.

Completely agree. In the UK most of us have either Baofeng or Retevis radios and my experience is also that the quality of the headset is way more important than the radio. We have a number of officials who use the stock headset that came with their radio and they are invariably the hardest to hear over O2O due to the (lack of) quality of the headset.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2022, 09:39:30 AM »
Completely agree. In the UK most of us have either Baofeng or Retevis radios and my experience is also that the quality of the headset is way more important than the radio. We have a number of officials who use the stock headset that came with their radio and they are invariably the hardest to hear over O2O due to the (lack of) quality of the headset.

IF you're going to drop $70 on a headset, I'd look at the goodcall officiating ones, that have the big PTT button on your waist, not your throat.  It's MUCH easier to communicate with, when I can subtly say something on the radio, versus having to reach up, find it, hit the PTT, and hope you don't block the mic.  Another point to consider is the style/quality of the mic itself.  The goodcall ones blow the others out of the water in terms of quality.  And quality mic = quality sound.  It's literally night and day difference.  When I'm crewed with guys who have the goodcall one, and some who have the out of the box one, I can easily understand what they are saying, while the standard ones still sound like a tin can in a hurricane.

I find I actually use the radio more when I don't have to reach up to hit the PTT, which IMO is a good thing. It doesn't replace preliminary signals for us, but it certainly makes foul reporting much easier, especially when everyone can actually understand what is being said.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2022, 10:44:45 AM »
IF you're going to drop $70 on a headset, I'd look at the goodcall officiating ones, that have the big PTT button on your waist, not your throat.  It's MUCH easier to communicate with, when I can subtly say something on the radio, versus having to reach up, find it, hit the PTT, and hope you don't block the mic.  Another point to consider is the style/quality of the mic itself.  The goodcall ones blow the others out of the water in terms of quality.  And quality mic = quality sound.  It's literally night and day difference.  When I'm crewed with guys who have the goodcall one, and some who have the out of the box one, I can easily understand what they are saying, while the standard ones still sound like a tin can in a hurricane.

I find I actually use the radio more when I don't have to reach up to hit the PTT, which IMO is a good thing. It doesn't replace preliminary signals for us, but it certainly makes foul reporting much easier, especially when everyone can actually understand what is being said.

I will second everything Bobby said about the GoodCall headsets/PTT buttons. SOOOOOOOOO much better than the tiny lapel buttons/mics.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2022, 01:29:57 PM »
The good calls connector won't work with the Motos that I have.  I did look at them before.  The big button would be nice to have.

These are lightweight.  The PTT button is about the size of the first joint of my thumb and clips underneath my shirt near the collarbone joint.

https://www.hitechwireless.com/comfit-pro-audio-single-wire-boom-microphone-motorola-m1/

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2022, 02:09:43 PM »
They won't work with your motorolas? 

They're cheap, you can get a 2 pack for around $35 I think, for the XTalk radios.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2022, 09:03:47 PM »
Motorola Talkabouts use M6 - single pin.  I was using the CLS 1110, which is M1 - 2 pin.  I'll be switching to the digital DLR1020 (900 mhz) for next season, still use 2 pin so all our current sets will still work.