Author Topic: Anyone worked interesting/close playoff games last week?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Official_21

• FAN REACTION: +9/-0
  • What on earth have I gotten myself into???
Anyone worked interesting/close playoff games last week?
« on: November 16, 2021, 05:51:07 PM »
So my playoff game I worked on the game clock went into OT and I had an early night, since they have gone to alternating possession in OT now (Correct me if I am wrong, but if I recall correctly, OT under NCAA rules  was previously 5 min periods until the tie is broken?)..but there is a plot twist  ;D

I decided to stay and watch OT, it was the game between Yoakum and Little River Academy. Game ended with the score tied 22-22. Little River Academy won the game in OT 28-22.

Anyone else worked any close/interesting playoff games last week?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Anyone worked interesting/close playoff games last week?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:12:35 PM »
So my playoff game I worked on the game clock went into OT and I had an early night, since they have gone to alternating possession in OT now (Correct me if I am wrong, but if I recall correctly, OT under NCAA rules  was previously 5 min periods until the tie is broken?)..but there is a plot twist  ;D

I decided to stay and watch OT, it was the game between Yoakum and Little River Academy. Game ended with the score tied 22-22. Little River Academy won the game in OT 28-22.

Anyone else worked any close/interesting playoff games last week?

Don’t know where you got that. Never been that way. Since Extra Periods were introduced, they have been each team getting a possession. A possession is a full series, in the first two extra periods. Beginning with the third extra period, a possession is a down played by Try rules.
Since Extra Periods are in Rule 3, I’m perplexed you didn’t know this.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Today hasn't been my day, a bit slow on some things (Monday hangover)  but how did they have a four-point differential? 

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:22:37 PM »
Today hasn't been my day, a bit slow on some things (Monday hangover)  but how did they have a four-point differential?

Not a math major, here, but I think 28 - 22 = 6.

Offline psv

• FAN REACTION: +14/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 12:43:26 AM »
First, not complaining, happy to be working  this time of year...

However, while our game was not a blow out, the outcome was never really in doubt from mid-way through the first quarter. 

I expect my game this week to be fairly similar (again, not complaining, just analyzing).

Offline Official_21

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 07:19:32 AM »
Don’t know where you got that. Never been that way. Since Extra Periods were introduced, they have been each team getting a possession. A possession is a full series, in the first two extra periods. Beginning with the third extra period, a possession is a down played by Try rules.
Since Extra Periods are in Rule 3, I’m perplexed you didn’t know this.
I do. But now that I think about it, I may have gotten NCAA and NFL OT rules mixed up  :embarassed:

Watched a little too much NFL, but now watch a lot more college football ;)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »
Not a math major, here, but I think 28 - 22 = 6.

Derp by me... I'm def not a math major either, LOL.

For me, my season ended in the middle of a pretty competitive playoff game last Thurs, when I tore my calf muscle.  Crutches and air cast are in my future for the next month or two. Waiting on MRI to see if it needs surgery to fix. I had issue all year with hamstrings, never calves, and stretched like I always do. Took me out of a game last Friday and also this Friday, which really sucks, just is what it is. 

Offline Clear Lake ref

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Had a controlled game Thursday.  Was a 10 point differential in the 3rd but then a couple quick scores put it out of reach.

On the clock Friday had a very tight game. Team in the lead made a 4q stop only for the linebacker to be in the pile giving him the business. Other team kept going and scored the game winner. Coaches weren’t shocked at this behavior. Absolute shame that he cost his team by idiocy.

Saturday was a blowout from the start.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 09:25:25 AM »

For me, my season ended in the middle of a pretty competitive playoff game last Thurs, when I tore my calf muscle.  Crutches and air cast are in my future for the next month or two. Waiting on MRI to see if it needs surgery to fix. I had issue all year with hamstrings, never calves, and stretched like I always do. Took me out of a game last Friday and also this Friday, which really sucks, just is what it is.

Very sorry to hear about the injury.  All the best in a speedy recovery and rehab.  Also, best of luck dealing with the Loomis Co. and the insurance we are afforded.  They are next to impossible to deal with and get them to actually cover an injury associated with officiating.  But, again, all my best.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 09:29:40 AM »

Very sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy and full recovery, without surgery, and with minimal discomfort.

Offline Official_21

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »
Very sorry to hear that. I wish you a speedy and full recovery, without surgery, and with minimal discomfort.
I echo the sentiments above. Unfortunate that it happened during the playoffs and you are unable to officiate the remainder of the playoffs, but at least you will have time to recover and hopefully come back next season stronger and rearing to go  ^good