Author Topic: FST/DOF question  (Read 1083 times)

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
FST/DOF question
« on: July 30, 2022, 08:03:21 PM »
Had a situation occur to me that it probably super easy and I am just overthinking, but here goes.

A's ball, D/D irrelevant.  As QB A7 gives a hard count, left tackle A76 flinches.  At the same time, in response to the hard count, DE B84 enters the NZ, causing the right tackle (who is immediately across from him) A77 to react.  Only one wing saw the flinch by A76 (was on his side, facing him.)

Each foul would prevent the snap from occurring.  One had to occur before the other, and one occurred when the ball was RFP, the other did not (true dead ball)... and that's where I'm getting hung up.  What would the process be here - obviously the wings need to discuss, with possible input from the U, but how would you make a determination here?  Would these just offset?  Or is there a philosophy here that I'm just not remembering?

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: FST/DOF question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 08:36:36 PM »
Like you said, one had to happen before the other. Determine who moved first, the left tackle or right tackle. If the left tackle moved first, it’s a false start. If the right tackle moved first, it’s offside. Once the other of those fouls occurs, you can’t have the other.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 09:17:05 PM »
Thanks - I knew I was overthinking this.  Just one of those brain fart questions.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 11:10:09 PM »
And this needs to be a quick determination when you come it to bring information.  Standing there and debating or discussing for more than a couple of seconds looks bad.  Take a pick and consistently rule the same each time.  Some will say pin it on the offense and others will say pin it on the defense.  Either way, do it the same each time when you truly have those that are bang-bang and could go either way.

Offline TexasProud

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »
Based on the way the play is described I'm most likely going to pin it on the offense because you cannot have both the right tackle and left tackle protected by B84 actions. When B84 jumps it creates a false start and one of the players jumping on the offense is not protected so the foul should be a false start.  IMO, of course.

Offline lonnieritch1981

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 01:41:24 PM »
A flinch is a flinch and a FST since it happened first.  IMHO, of course.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »
Based on the way the play is described I'm most likely going to pin it on the offense because you cannot have both the right tackle and left tackle protected by B84 actions. When B84 jumps it creates a false start and one of the players jumping on the offense is not protected so the foul should be a false start.  IMO, of course.

I think we are saying the same thing, just in different ways. Even if B84's action began before A76's flinch, B84 cannot 'cause' A76 to react (since A76 is not 'threatened' by B84). By the description, A76 had to have flinched before A77 reacted to B84. Thus, the only foul is a false start by A76, which, officially stops the down, and any action after that is moot.
Yes, it will take some discussion by the wings and the U to work through this, but, unless B84 jumped and A77 CLEARLY reacted, both before A76 flinched, they should be able to work through this and arrive at this conclusion.