Author Topic: Importance of Keys  (Read 732 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Importance of Keys
« on: March 28, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »
Having personally gone through the entire process of having no idea of what I was supposed to be looking at (1972-1982+/-), progressing to at least reading and studying what I was supposed to be looking at (1983-1993), to fully understanding what I needed to be looking at, and successfully accomplishing that (most of the time, 1994-present), I can testify that I am a FAR, FAR, better official today than during those first 20 years, largely due to understanding and following my keys.
Before I go on, note that it doesn't have to take that long to reach a high level of proficiency. But, you HAVE to have video, and accomplished mentors, to help you get there. I had neither, in those first 20 years. Once we got to a point of being able to get video regularly (on VHS tape and then computer disks), and once we got some local folks working D1-A football, then some of us were able to review our video with the D1-A guys, who helped us fully understand keys, and how to coordinate coverage with the other guys on the crew. Nowadays, with almost every game being available on video, and with forums such as this, in addition to local D1-A mentors, a first year guy can get to a high level in as few as 8 seasons, if he is committed and dedicated.
OK, having said that, understanding keys and the importance of following your keys faithfully cannot be understated. The biggest hurdle a first year official has to get over is the propensity to be a spectator, and watch the game like they are in the stands, or watching it on TV. Learning to focus your attention on certain specific action, while still remaining aware of what else is happening during a down (and between downs) is an acquired skill. And it must be acquired. And that takes snaps, video review, and critique.
As someone that has been training officials for some 30 years+, it is easy to spot folks that 'ball watch' and don't really pay attention to their keys. We use a training drill (with simulated teams using fellow officials) in which we have officials first yell out the number of their key(s), then we have the receivers get obviously held, or pushed OB, or blocked below the waist, or THEY shove off a defender, etc. Then the officials must tell what happened to/by their receiver when the down is over. Much of the time, they may not have any idea where the ball became dead, or why. GOOD! They won't always know. But they'll know what happened with their key.
Then, once they get the hang of staying with their key(s), then we work on looking at some other action, if their receiver is not threatened or a part of the real 'attack point' (running or passing).
When we review video of their games following this training, the difference is dramatic. And the overall quality of the crew rises dramatically.
This can't happen unless we understand and properly employ our key system.

A major reason for this discussion is that I know that the NFL is migrating a lot of their mechanics, and that includes a dramatic shift in how they observe action on the field. They are now migrating to a concept of "areas of responsibility," in which each official has to use years of training and experience to evaluate the action, more as a whole, and focus their attention to their specific areas of responsibility. That is all great. For the NFL. Those guys have already mastered the concept of keys, and are progressing to something that, with the appropriate training and experience, can be more valuable for them, and for their game. At some point, I can see NCAA guys picking up this concept.
But that is a VERY advanced technique, requiring years and years of training, practice, and experience. And with fellow officials that have equal amounts of training and experience. We don't have that luxury in TASO/UIL football. Would that it were. But it ain't. And it won't be.
Let's stick to our key system, and work hard to get our guys trained to truly know and follow their keys. It will make us all better as a unified body.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:53:08 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
Re: Importance of Keys
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 12:03:54 PM »
Well said, Robert. As far as a 7 person crew goes, F&S have the easiest jobs. B, L and H have to communicate and be on the same page, especially when keys change due  motion and a receiver's route (or lack thereof).