Author Topic: So Now We Get This.....  (Read 18524 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
So Now We Get This.....
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
Maybe he's a rules applier?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crgriggs

Re: So Now We Get This.....
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
The state rules interpreter in Alabama says there is no rules support for calling a foul on the play.  So, for now, no foul in Alabama.  He did say he is open to discussion if someone can provide a strong case based on the rules or case plays as written.

LAZebra, was this Greg Brewer who said this or someone else?

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
LAZebra, was this Greg Brewer who said this or someone else?

Hey Corey!  It was Bob Shoulders.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
Apparently the rules interpreter in Alabama is unfamiliar with the definition of "interpret".  If there were a specific rule already written to cover this, they wouldn't need him.

In many regards (especially when it involves silly "what if" questions asked a football field, "it. Is often better to be willing to beg forgiveness, than seek advice"

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »
In many regards (especially when it involves silly "what if" questions asked a football field, "it. Is often better to be willing to beg forgiveness, than seek advice"

In this case, the interpreter's guidance was in regard to a play that a team ran in an exhibition game during our state camp.  The same team ran this play during a playoff game later in the season.

So, it was definitely NOT a "what-if" scenario.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 02:20:58 PM »
In this case, the interpreter's guidance was in regard to a play that a team ran in an exhibition game during our state camp.  The same team ran this play during a playoff game later in the season.

So, it was definitely NOT a "what-if" scenario.

Perhaps if the Referee, in your State camp exhibition game, had taken a more definitive stand to address this play on the first time it was run, there wouldn't be a lingering issue.Football, especially at the Interscholastic level, is often a game of judgments. 

2 basic NFHS rules rarely specifically referenced share a common imperative designed to end disagreements; 9-10-5, provides, "Neither team shall commit any act which,  in the opinion of the referee, tends to make a travesty of the game" and NFHS: 1-1-6, dictates: The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spitit of good sportsmanship, on any situation, not specifically covered in the rules.  The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game."

The common imperative, clearly, is the intention to designate "the referee" as the final arbiter, so as to avoid endless arguments about individual interpretations, by non-referee participants, who most often are trying to promote an irregular interpretation to suit a particular objective or agenda.

Very little interferes, as much,  with a game designed for children as an interruption by differing adults pushing for revising an interpretation that might benefit an opponent. Unfortunately, there are instances where differing interpretations, explanations cannot be resolved, in which a single source is given the power to render a decision, binding to all,  for the benefit, and orderly continuation, of the game.

Johnponz

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:55 PM »
My opinion is it is very condescending to call the athletes children.  They may by young and not of legal age, but I really would rather think of them as "youg adults."  It is because of these "children" that you have a game to work.  I believe language is important, and find it very disrespectful when I hear a fellow official refer to a student athlete as "son" or as a "child." 

I understand the law might say that they are a "child" or a "minor," but certainly we should treat them as athletes in spite of what their legal classification might be. 

People treat you with respect if you treat them with respect.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »
My opinion is it is very condescending to call the athletes children.  They may by young and not of legal age, but I really would rather think of them as "youg adults."  It is because of these "children" that you have a game to work.  I believe language is important, and find it very disrespectful when I hear a fellow official refer to a student athlete as "son" or as a "child." 

I understand the law might say that they are a "child" or a "minor," but certainly we should treat them as athletes in spite of what their legal classification might be. 

What he said.  aWaRd

ECILLJ

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 03:48:18 PM »

Well said!  tiphat:

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 08:04:53 AM »
Perhaps if the Referee, in your State camp exhibition game, had taken a more definitive stand to address this play on the first time it was run, there wouldn't be a lingering issue.

He did -- he called a foul on A.  The coach discussed it with the interpreter, who issued his ruling.  So, in Alabama, this play is legal.

It's my opinion that using equipment to deceive is illegal, but I don't get a say.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
He did -- he called a foul on A.  The coach discussed it with the interpreter, who issued his ruling.  So, in Alabama, this play is legal.

It's my opinion that using equipment to deceive is illegal, but I don't get a say.

You are right, and the interpreter is wrong. Badly wrong. Goofball-level wrong.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
My opinion is it is very condescending to call the athletes children.  People treat you with respect if you treat them with respect.

CLASSIFYING the participants at the  INTERSCHOLASTIC (NFHS & below) sport level as "children" is neither "condescending", inaccurate nor inappropriate.  That is exactly what, and who, they are regardless of how big they are, how athletically gifted they are or how much equipment they are wearing.  On the other hand, speaking to them or addressing them as "children", is usually a very bad idea.

There is, however, an added responsibility for any adults involved in the supervision, management or conduct of any Interscholastic sporting event (Coaches, Officials, Administrators) to set appropriate examples of proper and controlled adult behavior to serve as models for the CHILDREN under their jurisdiction, as the type behavior demonstrated is the type often learned and carried forward.

Respect is, most certainly, a two way street that should be offered, taught and earned. Classifying an Interscholastic athlete as a "child" and addressing or treating him/her in a childish manner are two distinctly opposite matters.

If you're concerned about appropriately addressing athletes, may I suggest when speaking to more than one, begin with the word "Gentlemen", as it often has a moderating effect.  When used in the proper tone.  Addressing an individual by the number on his/her jersey avoids a lot of needless confusion or hesitation.