Author Topic: Ineligible Downfield  (Read 691 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Ineligible Downfield
« on: September 16, 2023, 10:47:40 AM »
Scrimmage play, O-line immediately breaks downfield (screen pass coming) but quarterback gets caught scrambling.  Receiver who eventually catches pass, scrambling himself, goes 3 yards deep and then comes back behind the LOS and catches ball.  I’d this a penalty or not.  Need second opinion.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Ineligible Downfield
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 10:50:29 AM »
Scrimmage play, O-line immediately breaks downfield (screen pass coming) but quarterback gets caught scrambling.  Receiver who eventually catches pass, scrambling himself, goes 3 yards deep and then comes back behind the LOS and catches ball.  I’d this a penalty or not.  Need second opinion.

No penalty. The ball did not cross the line of scrimmage. That's all that counts.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:09:08 AM »
No penalty. The ball did not cross the line of scrimmage. That's all that counts.
Bingo.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:09:42 AM »
Not to convolute the scenario, but the opposite situation would be a foul:

Designed pass play, the O-line is supposed to "stay at home", but A56 accidentally goes 5 yards downfield during the scramble, realizes his mistake and retreats behind the LOS before the ball is thrown. Once an ineligible is downfield, this will be a foul if a pass crosses the LOS regardless of their position at the time of the pass.

However, if the pass did not cross the LOS, it's still not a foul for the same reason as the original play.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 07:56:14 AM »
Occasionally a screen pass is muffed by the reciever. If the ball then carries beyond the LOS before returning to Earth and the big ole' Bubbas ( O-linemen) have strolled beyond the LOS, and the airborne pass wasnot touched by B, it weould be IR.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 06:58:27 AM »
Occasionally a screen pass is muffed by the reciever. If the ball then carries beyond the LOS before returning to Earth and the big ole' Bubbas ( O-linemen) have strolled beyond the LOS, and the airborne pass wasnot touched by B, it weould be IR.

That’s the test question answer.  In almost 40 years, I’ve never seen that called.  A/D.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 08:43:13 PM »

I was about to correct you, but I just learned something today about the NFHS rule when I looked it up.  Apparently, touching by A behind the LOS does not take away IDP.  Only touching by B.  NCAA, any touching behind wipes out IDP.

Philosophically, I don't think I would call this IDP in a high school game.  Same scenario where the RB sets up for the screen pass behind the line and the QB overthrows him and it lands beyond the line with linemen down field.  Just a bad throw.  Call it incomplete and move on.