Author Topic: Time to go over overtime....  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Time to go over overtime....
« on: September 13, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
If your state adopts the NFHS OT model, be sure to discuss it with your crew at halftime if your game could go in that direction. Had the first in a few years this past weekend and had to shake a few cobwebs loose. Here's a hump day quiz for you guys :

(1) How long is the intermission between regulation play & 1st OT?

(2) Between 1st, 2nd ,etc OTs?

(3) If team trying first scores, how much time is given opponent to prep?

(4) If team trying first doesn't score, how much time is given ?

(5) Only potential 1st downs are awarded first downs AND what else?

(6) What do you say if the coach asks, "What would you do?"

PS...don't forget your coin :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[!

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Time to go over overtime....
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
Intermission between regulation and OT is 3 minutes.

Between OTs it's 2 minutes.

Between series (Offense/Defense within an OT), I don't think there is any specific break. Just as you don't give an extended break after a change of possession on a punt or kickoff. There's no difference if it was a score or not.

The team on offense can get a new series if it recovers a scrimmage kick touched by R beyond the NZ -- that is, a REALLY short FG attempt that doesn't go into the endzone, touched by R then recovered by K. Seeing as they start from the 10, that's.... unlikely that it won't go into the EZ? But then again, crazy things happen in the kicking game.

What would I do? I'd load the bases and try for a three pointer on the penalty shot.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:27:43 AM »
Thanks for trying, Wingman. 3.3.1Q (pg. 87 rule book) states that the one-minute intermission would apply if there was a score, allowing teams to go to their sidelines like during regulation play. If there wasn't a score, treat like a COP. You nailed to potential of a partially blocked or just plain lousy FGA being touched down field by R and recovered by K. Good job aWaRd!

In my OT game, I was at the home sideline to bring out the captain. I asked their head coach if he had any questions about OT procedure. ... He did :o. Our discussion went sorta' like this with his speaking captain listening :

COACH : "This is my first year as head coach, and as assistant I never worried about this stuff. Please explain what will happen."

ME : "The winner of the toss can go on offense first, go on defense first or choose the end of field to play the first overtime."

COACH : "What's the best choice :o ??? :!# ??"

ME : "Well, if you choose to go on defense, it's sorta' like a home team batting last in an extra inning game. You'll know what you'll have to do to win when you're on offense."

COACH : "Ayuh, that make sense, thanks :-* ."

COACH (to captain) : "So if we win the toss, we'll choose to go on offense ::) ."

CAPTAIN (to me as we walk toward midfield) : "Ref, that WASN'T what you told coach was best ??? , was it  :!#!!"

ME : "Nope :P, but just listen to your coach as I'm sure he knows ::) best :-X ::) :P."

....Captain chose offense...they scored....the opponents didn't.....

SO MUCH FOR MY COACHING...

...AND THE BAND PLAYED ON tiphat:

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:25:47 AM »
Ah, it's buried in the rule interpretations because it's not actually a different rule. If you score, there is a 1 minute break before the ensuing kickoff... except there's no kickoff, so it's just before the other team gets to be on offense. If you don't score, there's no break... as if there was a change of possession on a fumble or turnover on downs.

Especially in high school, I would absolutely not want to offer advice to a coach about what he should or shouldn't do strategically -- but if you insist.... ultimately, the second innings (I'm playing cricket here -- no half innings...) is a higher pressure scenario. The offense MUST score or the defense MUST stop them to continue. Which ever side of the ball I feel would handle the pressure better, is the one I'd want to go second.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Freaking Dumb luck always out trumps good coaching!

Great story man, I hope is not true!