Author Topic: Bengels Chiefs Game  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
Bengels Chiefs Game
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:02:32 PM »
What are your thoughts on the so called re-do play where it looks like the field judge? comes running in just before the snap to try and kill the clock?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Bengels Chiefs Game
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 11:16:17 PM »
What are your thoughts on the so called re-do play where it looks like the field judge? comes running in just before the snap to try and kill the clock?

Although ugly, it was necessary to prevent a serious clock error.
The previous 2nd down ended with an incomplete pass. With the play clock correctly running, the ball was spotted, and the teams were preparing to play 3rd down. However, the ball had been incorrectly spotted, so the crew stepped in and re-spotted the ball to the correct location. The play clock was set to 10 seconds (which, I think is an NFL rule thing, but I’m not sure). The R announced the game clock and play clock settings, and incorrectly indicated that both would start on his signal, which they did. The teams were preparing to return to play, when the F recognized the error, and jumped into the field and signaled for the clock to stop before the ball was snapped, so, officially, there was no play - not a “re-do.” Unfortunately, the ball was snapped and there appeared to be a play run, but the F’s timeout signal officially stopped all action. I wish he had continued his charging signal all the way to the neutral zone, if necessary, to get the action stopped. What appeared to be a ‘sack’ by Cincy a pass caught well short of the line-to-gain never happened, officially.  [Sorry, got my downs mixed up. The apparent sack happened on the actual 3rd down, where the defensive holding occured, giving KC the first down.]
They corrected the game clock by restoring it to the time it was stopped for the incomplete pass on the previous down, re-set the play clock to 10 seconds, and then announced the correction. Then the ball was declared ready for play, and 3rd down was played.
As is official’s luck, Cincy committed holding on this down, awarding KC a first down.
Yes, ugly, but necessary.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:56:57 PM by ElvisLives »

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:03:28 AM »
Yes that is an NFL thing - in a situation like that, where the PC is less than 10 (it was at 9) it is reset to 10 to give A an opportunity to get into position and snap the ball.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »
I read a quote where the referee Torber said it was an error by the clock operator but apparently the Referee said the play clock AND GAME CLOCK will start on my signal.  It looks like it was then a collective brain fart by the entire crew as they had plenty of time to realize the error and get on the radios and correct it at that time.

as it was the Field Judge was a crew saver.  What if Kansas City had scored a touchdown?  What if there had been a turnover.  The consequences would have been massive.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 03:00:15 PM »
I read a quote where the referee Torber said it was an error by the clock operator but apparently the Referee said the play clock AND GAME CLOCK will start on my signal.  It looks like it was then a collective brain fart by the entire crew as they had plenty of time to realize the error and get on the radios and correct it at that time.

as it was the Field Judge was a crew saver.  What if Kansas City had scored a touchdown?  What if there had been a turnover.  The consequences would have been massive.

I wish I could see the overhead shot from the time the R signaled ready until Mahomes was sacked.’ I have a feeling the KC receivers saw the F and did not run their routes, and Mahomes had nobody to whom to throw, and got sacked. So, as angry as the Cincy fans are, the Cincy d-line didn’t make such a great play, after all. It worked out correctly, as ugly and disjointed as it was.
OK, I saw the full overhead shot of the down that didn't happen, and the receivers did run their routes, and a receiver caught the ball well short of the first down. I was thinking of the actual 3rd down, when Mahomes was sacked, but there was defensive holding, giving KC a first down.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 01:01:19 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 02:18:29 PM »

"What if...", there's no end to "What if's".  The deciding factor as to who makes the final decision on "situations not covered by rule" belongs EXCLSIVELY to the Referee (of course at upper levels "Replay" has a bearing on whether we get to that point) for one simple reason.  "Impartiality" which does NOT EXIST with spectators, Coaches, Broadcasters, Social media, but is an integral factor/requirement for game officials.

It's not unusual that a Referee's final decision, in unique circumstances, cancels possible opportunities/consequences for either/both sides.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 04:53:17 PM by Grant - AR »

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 12:24:12 PM »
And then there's this...

https://youtu.be/5ztC08DWtoc

The attached image is on the next play - 2nd down (note positioning).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:35:56 PM by JDM »

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 02:59:41 PM »
And then there's this...

https://youtu.be/5ztC08DWtoc

The attached image is on the next play - 2nd down (note positioning).

Curious lack of communication between D and S. Shouldn't happen at that level, and in game of this magnitude. D should have noticed S in wrong position, and pushed him deep. B could have noticed that, too. Even the F could have noticed the S not being in the mirror position, and could have 'got on the horn' and remined him to get to the corner pylon. That's a 'down' side of assigning individuals and not crews. Chances of miscommunication are a lot less with a 'crew' that has worked together all season (or longer). Just glad one didn't have a flag, and not the other (but, then, it was very clearly just a good defensive play, so neither should have had a flag, and they didn't).